Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2020, 05:47 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Valve Stems Blocked by Wheel Covers

Hi Folks,

We recently took delivery of our first RV, a 2016 Forest River Sunseeker and I've noticed that the wheel covers are partially blocking the valve stems on the front tires.

From what I can tell, these wheel covers are the Dicore versions discussed in this thread https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/new-...ls-363641.html

Can I just pry them off and then use a rubber mallet to press them back on such that the hand holes are better centered on the valve stems? I recently purchased a TPMS system and I won't be able to install the sensors without having some more room between the stem and the wheel cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200531_182401.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	288679   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200607_094358.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	288680  

Gwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2020, 05:58 PM   #2

If like my 2017 E450, yes pry them off, center the valve better and tap them back on with a rubber mallet.

A few kicks with sneakers works too.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:35 PM   #3

Yep, take em off and put em back on.
Glennabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:14 PM   #4

There are a couple styles of wheel covers that are bolted on directly to the studs. The nuts are covered with fake shiny covers on this type. I can't tell from your picture but if you have the bolted on kind, you may have to grind away a little of the cover to get the clearance you need.
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had the same problem with my covers, finally I put a rotary grinder on my drill and enlarged the hole.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:49 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Here's a close up of the cover. There are no dimples or slots on the "lugs" and when I tap on them, they all sound hollow. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200607_094404.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	288703Click image for larger version

Name:	20200607_144301.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	288704
Old 06-08-2020, 04:37 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Those are pop off/on style, same as I have. I keep one of these tools in the rig as I can't get my tire gauge on the outside dually stem unless I remove the wheel cover.
Pop them off, line them up and give em a good whack.
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:34 AM   #8

I had an even worse situation for valve stem access with the false wheel covers on the Ford Transit Diesel chassis. That issue was nicely resolved by having Borg solid valve stems installed in place of the near impossible to access factory valve stems.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:26 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the input. I'm going to try and pop off these covers in the am and then install the the TPMS.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwood View Post
Can I just pry them off and then use a rubber mallet to press them back on such that the hand holes are better centered on the valve stems?
EXACTLY!

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:28 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Quick update.

Got the covers off. After getting the tire pressure monitoring sensors on its clear that I'm going to have to modify these wheel covers later down the line, there's just not enough clearance and it makes it difficult to get the sensors off when I might need to top off the tires.

On top of that, it appears that there's a slow leak on the rear inner passengers side valve stem extension. It's an older plastic/rubber extension and I think it's time is up.

The kicker is that we're due to leave for our first short shake out trip in the am. I'll take a look in the am.

Can I remove the valve stem extension and then see if the tire will hold air? Not sure I'll be able to easily get to it.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:03 AM   #12

You should be able to remove the extension and cap the stem. I have had trouble with valve extenders in the past. My current and best solution so far is to replace the rear valve stems with the long bendable steel type that are mounted to the wheel. I did it when I replaced the tires. Very happy with the results.
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:25 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Iron View Post
You should be able to remove the extension and cap the stem. I have had trouble with valve extenders in the past. My current and best solution so far is to replace the rear valve stems with the long bendable steel type that are mounted to the wheel. I did it when I replaced the tires. Very happy with the results.
We'll see how it goes in the am.

Definitely need another option (and I like the idea of a solid steel or brass valve stem ala the Borgs or something similar) These plastic extensions have got to go. Hard to see these things not failing at some point and I doubt they're designed to have the weight of the sensors on them.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:37 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Definitely dismount the wheel covers and remount them with the stem centered in one of the holes. Whoever installed the wheel covers in the first place was either an amateur or in too much of a hurry - or both. Here's another possible solution:

In my case I needed to add stem extensions to mount the sensors for a TPMS and I couldn't find any with the right angle and length to avoid touching the front wheel covers. It was close, but I really didn't want to do any cutting or grinding, so I got a short piece of 1" dowel rod and placed it at the outer edge of the wheel cover hole, and gave it a couple sharp raps with a rubber hammer. That deformed the hole just enough to give proper clearance for the valve stem. Thankfully it doesn't significantly detract from the appearance of the wheel cover.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, ems, valve