Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 09:51 PM   #1

Voltage Fluctuation Rumination

Posting an open conversation here for opinions. Was recently at Rocky Point at an RV park. I have a 50 amp hookup up with an EMS. We were tripping on both low and high voltage. During the day, I switched to my propane water heater to avoid dropping below 102 VAC. but during the night, we often tripped at 132V.

The max ever seen was 136volts. My neighbor took his EMS off to avoid the tripping claiming 136 was the top. This is what I found also.

I was more cautious letting the EMS do its job and shutting down in high voltage. But then the load switch was cycling sometimes with the AC on. And of course it kept me awake hearing all the racket. So I traded wearing out my switch?

So was I hyper paranoid or should I bypass the EMS at night to avoid the tripping? Is 136 really that high?

Later I was talking to the wife. She said they have lost a microwave and a TV. So I felt like I made the right decision. Of course, I could disconnect entirely but then we would have no AC. I wasn’t about to run the generator?

Any thoughts?
vanlieremead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 10:15 PM   #2
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlieremead View Post
Posting an open conversation here for opinions. Was recently at Rocky Point at an RV park. I have a 50 amp hookup up with an EMS. We were tripping on both low and high voltage. During the day, I switched to my propane water heater to avoid dropping below 102 VAC. but during the night, we often tripped at 132V.

The max ever seen was 136volts. My neighbor took his EMS off to avoid the tripping claiming 136 was the top. This is what I found also.

I was more cautious letting the EMS do its job and shutting down in high voltage. But then the load switch was cycling sometimes with the AC on. And of course it kept me awake hearing all the racket. So I traded wearing out my switch?

So was I hyper paranoid or should I bypass the EMS at night to avoid the tripping? Is 136 really that high?

Later I was talking to the wife. She said they have lost a microwave and a TV. So I felt like I made the right decision. Of course, I could disconnect entirely but then we would have no AC. I wasn’t about to run the generator?

Any thoughts?
I would have unplugged and run on my battery if could. If not I would have started my generator. I would never ever remove or bypass my EMS. Why have it, it warns you and you bypass it- no way. Rocky Point Mexico ? And yes 136 is scary. Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:21 PM   #3

Voltage that is too high can cause premature failure of electrical and electronic components (e.g. circuit boards) due to overheating. The damage caused by overheating is cumulative and irreversible.

Voltage that is too low can cause accumulative damage to induction motors

EMS is doing what you bought it for...USE IT

Nominal source voltage is 120VAC +/- 10% (108V --132V)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:26 PM   #4

Yes, Rocky Point, Mexico. Playa Bonita. Just beautiful.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:05 PM   #5

Quote:

Any thoughts?
I'm curious ... what do you have against running your generator?

Aren't RV generators for at least dry camping and emergencies?
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:07 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Any thoughts?
102 to 136 is a VERY WIDE SWING of 34volts (25-30%+/-), and most likely caused by a LOOSE/ CORRODED NEUTRAL, which can be RV Park or LOCAL UTILITY; advise RV Park of problem and RECOMMEND THAT THEY CALL THE LOCAL UTILITY COMPANY FIRST (= FREE), BEFORE the RV PARK HAS TO START PAYING CLAIMS FOR NEGLIGENCE? If problem is the park, and electrican needed, the Utility will advise them.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
102 to 136 is a VERY WIDE SWING of 34volts (25-30%+/-), and most likely caused by a LOOSE/ CORRODED NEUTRAL, which can be RV Park or LOCAL UTILITY; advise RV Park of problem and RECOMMEND THAT THEY CALL THE LOCAL UTILITY COMPANY FIRST (= FREE), BEFORE the RV PARK HAS TO START PAYING CLAIMS FOR NEGLIGENCE? If problem is the park, and electrican needed, the Utility will advise them.
Claims for negligence ? In Mexico ?

Good luck with that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Good luck with that.

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
I'm curious ... what do you have against running your generator?

Aren't RV generators for at least dry camping and emergencies?
Hi, I have nothing specifically against the generator but we are parked in an RV park only feet from the next guy. In fact there may be a prohibition overnight.

When we boondock, we run it in the mornings if we need to for the batteries - which is most of the time, for about 2 hours.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #10

Quote:
I plan to be back at Thanksgiving. I’ll mention the neutral. The guy ne t to me (I don’t know whether to believe him) said that the park was low and the changed the tap on the transformer.

The issue completely load dependent. High load, low voltage and vice versa. I thought it to be a wiring issue as well. How/where the neutral is terminated I can ask.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:43 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Good luck with that.
I see NO MENTION OF MEXICO in original post, but Rocky Point is N. Carolina, USA?
Old 10-26-2020, 11:51 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
re: "High load, low voltage and vice versa." is simple reflection of CORROSION, most likely ALUMINUM UTILITY WIRING. My daughters first three houses after marriage were all fed by underground electric service and we had to call Utility on all three due to voltage and terminal corrosion required cleaning at the transformer pad; first TWO houses had to pig-tail all the switches and receptacles w/ Copper/ DEOX, too, as the houses themselves had aluminum.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:18 AM   #13

Quote:
re: "High load, low voltage and vice versa." is simple reflection of CORROSION, most likely ALUMINUM UTILITY WIRING. My daughters first three houses after marriage were all fed by underground electric service and we had to call Utility on all three due to voltage and terminal corrosion required cleaning at the transformer pad; first TWO houses had to pig-tail all the switches and receptacles w/ Copper/ DEOX, too, as the houses themselves had aluminum.
Terry, I'm not getting the impression they're seeing the voltage change between L1 and L2 - rather that there is a huge swing from the PoCo. If the L1/L2 voltage are teeter-tottering then I'm in full agreement regarding neutral.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:25 AM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
Same situation this past weekend up here in the northeast. Voltage swings from 102V to 137V. While certainly an inconvenience I never thought about bypassing my EMS, that's why I bought and installed it. While my camping crew were blissfully unaware of the situation I fear their appliances may have suffered some irreparable damage.
Now had I been somewhere where I needed to run the AC well then that's a different scenario. Inform the park? Move sites? Still wouldn't remove the EMS no matter how tempting.
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote