Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2021, 10:11 AM   #1

Want to buy motorhome

I am interested in purchasing a used class C motorhome. I have found that the prices have skyrocketed in the last year. I’m nervous about buying one, having it depreciates so fast after the market goes back to normal and people are flying, etc. I want opinions to purchase one now, or should I wait?
docswolfden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2021, 12:26 PM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Where are you? Guy down the road from me is selling his (Ford chassis) I think he is getting a diesel.
We are in N Georgia northeast of Athens
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 01:04 PM   #3

I look at it this way.

Do you know with 100% certainty that you will be alive or physically able to go RVing tomorrow? Of course not. If you can afford it today, go for it. You never know what tomorrow will bring.
Bruceea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 03:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Where are you? Guy down the road from me is selling his (Ford chassis) I think he is getting a diesel.
We are in N Georgia northeast of Athens
I live in Oregon. But if it is the right one, I will have it shipped. Do you know where I can the information on It? Thank you.
docswolfden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:07 PM   #5

Just went through the same thing (and we're also in Oregon)!

We knew we were buying at what has to be the absolute top of the used market, but decided to dive in anyway. We know we spent too much on the RV, but at the current market - it was fair, and we're betting (fingers crossed...) that the experiences will offset any diminished monetary value in the coming years of ownership.
NW-Class-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docswolfden View Post
I am interested in purchasing a used class C motorhome. I have found that the prices have skyrocketed in the last year. I’m nervous about buying one, having it depreciates so fast after the market goes back to normal and people are flying, etc. I want opinions to purchase one now, or should I wait?
Buying the class C motorhome is just the start. Motorhomes are not up as much, at least in % as TT and 5rs. Just the nature. Lot of lower end buyers driving up prices.

My $65,000 purchase last year could still bring that and a little more.

The extra $5-$10 grand you pay now will seem like pocket change compared to annual maintenance.

Find a good one and buy it. Seems a lot of old timers are getting out while the getting is good.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:25 AM   #7

In my not so humble opinion this is definitely an RV bubble price wise. My little Toyota is worth at least triple what I paid for it 5 years ago! It may take a year or 2 but reality will set in and many will be dumping their RV's at any price.

If I wanted an RV for a week or 2 at this time there is no doubt I would rent. If I was looking at buying and keeping an RV long term, then what the market and prices do does not matter as RV's are seldom a wise investment.

Of course my opinion and worth what you are paying for it
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
The extra $5-$10 grand you pay now will seem like pocket change compared to annual maintenance.
Forgive me for going off topic, but we are considering upgrading to a Class C, as well. Can you share why annual maintenance will cost more than 5-10K? Thanks!
Baycountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:28 AM   #9

We have a2019 jayco class c 22j 25' and love it. Just the 2 of us. No issues and the wife is the relief driver.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:42 AM   #10

As to the op's question you have 2 choices.
1. Buy now and pay whatever you have to and start enjoying it now, knowing up front the monetary loss that you may ( probably will ) incur.
2. Wait and gamble that your health will be remain good, prices will drop (they probably will ) and save the money.
My choice would be to start now if you can afford it but that would be my choice. You need to decide what is best for you. RVing is not cheap in any way and you will probably lose $ in either case. It is a matter of how much. No-one knows for sure what the future holds. We can only speculate.
Maint costs are going to vary widely depending on how much of it you will be doing yourself. Something as basic as an oil change on engine and generator can be several times more expensive if you have it done versus diy. That is one reason for a wide disparity in costs.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 12:40 PM   #11

Of coarse I don't have a working crystal ball but I feel in 5 months to three years, there will way more supply than demand which will bring down the price of new and used motor homes tremendously. Many people bought motorhomes because COVID19 didn't allow them to fly to their favorite destinations within and outside the continental USA. They will soon learn what they invested in. The roads and destinations will be inundated with first time RVers learning they need reservations for everywhere they go. And if you are late to a scheduled destination reservation, you loose.

We are planning a trip to Glacier National Park in Montana. "Yikes". Two primary campgrounds, Saint Mary and Rising Sun, and a 3rd called Cut Bank, are closed for 2021 because of the lack of manpower to manage them. You can't drive over the pass with your tow vehicle this year, so if camping on one side of the park, you have to shuttle to the other end. It's a mess just there in Glacier. I imagine the same will apply throughout the USA. This year the parks will be even more crowded with all the new people trying RVing for the first time. I can't imagine how first time RVers will take to this as their initial RVing experience. I anticipate a lot of "For Sale" signs on motorhomes starting after this season wraps up.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:54 PM   #12

Wonder if the Computer Chip issue that is restricting vehicle sales and inventory is also going to effect the Motorhome industry.

If you can't get the chips you can't build the vehicles.

People can rarely, with any certainty, predict the marketplace years from now.
Unclepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baycountry View Post
Forgive me for going off topic, but we are considering upgrading to a Class C, as well. Can you share why annual maintenance will cost more than 5-10K? Thanks!

Who gave you those figures, oil change on the engine every 5000 miles est 125.00 , oil change on generator 75.00 , that’s it. Tires every 5 years about 2000.00 . Other then that if your not replacing a appliance you have no cost. Been RVing a long time, never ever spent that kinda money.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Who gave you those figures, oil change on the engine every 5000 miles est 125.00 , oil change on generator 75.00 , that’s it. Tires every 5 years about 2000.00 . Other then that if your not replacing a appliance you have no cost. Been RVing a long time, never ever spent that kinda money.
Class C diy oil change $35
Tires $900
generator $15
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome