Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2021, 04:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by docswolfden View Post
I am interested in purchasing a used class C motorhome. I have found that the prices have skyrocketed in the last year. I’m nervous about buying one, having it depreciates so fast after the market goes back to normal and people are flying, etc. I want opinions to purchase one now, or should I wait?

I sent you a PM
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2021, 04:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Class C diy oil change $35
Tires $900
generator $15

This is true if your not my age and have my disability now, that’s about what it use to cost me doing it myself.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:00 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
I love my Class-C only because it's comfortable and I can get in to about any park I want to that has room. I also can venture in to places that the larger Class-As may fear to go. And finally, I can drive it in to an RV-barn I had custom made for me by the Tough-Shed company, the same guys who put those garden sheds together outside those Home Depots. Mine has 13' walls and is about 960 sq ft. and has pull-through front and back doors for me to drive through and turn around. It fits well with my home. If I had a Class-A, I'd need a little more land.

But, your question is should you buy one now with the inflated prices. It depends.. In a couple years, post-pandemic, the RV thing might not be as much of a fad and there might be a lot of Class-C and Class-As out there for sale. Maybe not. I would say though that most of us don't lay down cash for our RVs and I would think the payments might not be that much different. So, there's a few factors. You just have to decide which ones are more prominent. If you're not too young, you might say what the heck and go for it. If you're unsure if you might like an RV, then maybe you should hold off and rent one until you are sure. If you need or want to sell in the next couple years after purchasing, you might find yourself upside down trying to get out of it.
TexasJeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:16 PM   #18

In years past you could wait till ~ mid-August and they are trying to sell this year's models because of next years models are about to arrive . At General RV , I used to see new ~ $112K Class Cs go for $70 K , then . ( kind of shows how much they depreciate before they even sell them off ! )
But now , I don't know how or what effect the COVID factor has on present sales habits & strategies .
TourNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:41 PM   #19

Class C RV cost per year...

At shop:

Oil Change(s): ~$150-200

Generator (oil/filter/plug/etc) every ~2-3 years for most people: $250
Tires every ~5 years: ~$900-2000 depending on the tires you like.

RV storage (if you can't park at your house): ~$150/mo = $1800/yr
Insurance: $500-1500/yr depending on the value of your RV

Then you should anticipate at least $500-$1000 worth of misc repairs/fixes per year. (maybe more)

If you add it up, it's probably at least ~$3000-4000/yr on average.

You can probably rent an RV for about $150/night.

So if you aren't pretty sure you are going to be RVing at least 15-20 days per year renting might be a better option.
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:54 PM   #20

Class C RV cost in the Covid era...

Here is a good data point for anyone interested...

In Feb 2019 (pre-Covid), I bought two 2015 Class C Thor Majestic 28a units from Cruise America. Each had ~115,000 miles. One I paid $26,750 and the other one I paid $25,000 (from someone who purchased it from Cruise America 2 months prior but decided it wasn't for them).

Today, Cruise America sells their used 2017 Thor Majestic 28a units with ~140,000 miles for $41,000. Newer RVs (2017 vs 2015) but more miles.

The interior/etc of these units is just about identical.

$41,000 vs $26,750. Today's price is 53% higher!

I would NOT be in a hurry to buy an RV in this market. In the USA, we are almost done with Covid (...anyone who wants to get vaccinated can now be vaccinated). Everything is opening up. Hotels/airlines/resorts. I have to imagine prices will drop significantly. Maybe not all the way down to pre-Covid levels, but hopefully just 10-15% higher than pre-Covid levels.

Seems like a great time to just RENT an RV for your vacations over the next year. That's what I would do (...unless you plan on camping more than 50-100 days during the next year).

Side note: Beware used RV sale scams....they seem to be on the rise!

Good luck!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:55 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baycountry View Post
Forgive me for going off topic, but we are considering upgrading to a Class C, as well. Can you share why annual maintenance will cost more than 5-10K? Thanks!
Because these things are a big investment. And if you don't do the maintenance pretty soon your $100,000 motorhome is worth $20,000.

I have spent $8,000 in the last 2 weeks fixing stuff. Haven't even got to the set of tires yet. Plus once the new inverter charger gets here and I know what else I need to make it operate correctly there's another $1,000, and the annual inspection to make sure I don't break down on the road is $500 and then the routine service is another $500.

If you think you are going to just buy this and drive it surprise. Even the TT that are in the permanent sights at the CG spend several thousand a year to keep up, and they don't ever move.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:08 PM   #22

3rd year with 2019 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 24'. Year round storage is $600. Yearly maintenance oil changes, generator oil change is about $200 total. Everything else is just routine washing, waxing etc....
Old 06-05-2021, 08:24 PM   #23

2015 model
insurance 780 yr
oil change 200
gen 75.00
Roadside assistance is 200 yr I think. Its close.
misc stuff like caulking, tank chemicals around 70.00 yr
I spent 700 this year to have a fantastic fan installed where there was no electric, coated under carriage, second battery added at dealer.
Gas is higher this year. But so is airfare. I will need propane soon. I have a gas oven/stove. I have camped where i had to run heat this year. I hear it is higher too. Stored under cover on my property so no storage. Best thing is pull it out, raid the house fridge and cabinets and go. For what you pay in restaurants, hotels, airfare, car rental if you can get one, I would not trade it. In my 70's I like traveling in my own space. Not for everyone.
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:41 PM   #24

For those looking at Class-c. Don't rule out a small class-A. The sizes are pretty much the same and so is up keep. I found a class A was easier to drive than a C. Plus I think you get more for your money in a class A.

Just my opinion
ScttBvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:54 AM   #25

We have owned our class C (B+) SEEN HERE for 14 years. We special ordered it and has always been garage kept with heat in winter. Maintenance on it has been so very easy and affordable. The only time I have other people touching our rig is for wheel alignments. I do my own tires (have access to a machine) and all maintenance which has been surprisingly manageable, even when considering I am now 63 years old and have never been well muscled. Being of proper weight and nimble is where it really matters. Insurance is exceptionally affordable through AARP/Hartford. Once in a while I splurge with an upgrade, my most recent example being Alcoa alloy wheels.

I buy name & off brand full synthetic oil for $3/quart and Motorcraft oil filters on sale, changing the oil every 5000 miles or sooner pending trip timing. I buy off brand air filters and change them every 10,000 miles, sooner if looking unusually dirty. Some trips can be very dusty. Our rig has 38,000 today, our tow vehicle keeps the mileage lower. I just flushed the brake system, will soon replace coolant and trans fluid, none of which are challenging.

If doing the work yourself, you will save mounds of cash. The same applies to your everyday vehicles. If I didn't do the work myself, we could not afford a motorhome, a 4x4 tow vehicle, a sedan, and our fun little 2-seat convertible SEEN HERE. Again, AARP/Hartford has been exceptional covering all vehicles year round. They consider that we are not driving more than one vehicle at a time.
Ron Dittmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by docswolfden View Post
I am interested in purchasing a used class C motorhome. I have found that the prices have skyrocketed in the last year. I’m nervous about buying one, having it depreciates so fast after the market goes back to normal and people are flying, etc. I want opinions to purchase one now, or should I wait?
We’ve owned several motorhomes when we were younger. Retired now and on fixed income, the financial commitment required for motorhome ownership just didn’t pencil for us unless we were full-timing. If we wanted to keep our home and spend 25%-30% time on the road, getting a motorhome would mean no more trips to Europe, no more college tuition for grandkids, no more good wine, etc etc etc. When we bought six months ago, we really thought we’d most enjoy a 24ft MB chassis Class C. That would have cost five times what we paid for our 25ft Micro Mini, and would not be as roomy and livable. When we decide to sell, the TT will return most if not all of our purchase price.

Despite what some say, we find our small TT nearly as easy and convenient to set up, and actually easier to drive than a MH. Motorhomes are great, and if they can be comfortably worked into your finances then you should get one now. But you should keep in mind that you can see all the sights, and do all the things you can do with a MH for far far less bucks.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:56 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
We’ve owned several motorhomes when we were younger. Retired now and on fixed income, the financial commitment required for motorhome ownership just didn’t pencil for us unless we were full-timing. If we wanted to keep our home and spend 25%-30% time on the road, getting a motorhome would mean no more trips to Europe, no more college tuition for grandkids, no more good wine, etc etc etc. When we bought six months ago, we really thought we’d most enjoy a 24ft MB chassis Class C. That would have cost five times what we paid for our 25ft Micro Mini, and would not be as roomy and livable. When we decide to sell, the TT will return most if not all of our purchase price.

Despite what some say, we find our small TT nearly as easy and convenient to set up, and actually easier to drive than a MH. Motorhomes are great, and if they can be comfortably worked into your finances then you should get one now. But you should keep in mind that you can see all the sights, and do all the things you can do with a MH for far far less bucks.
Very good point, and great encouragement for those on tighter budgets.

I surely get what you mean. "getting a motorhome would mean no more trips to Europe, no more college tuition for grandkids, no more good wine, etc etc etc." We have been able to make it work in our later years, but it wasn't that way for most of our lives. Raising a family on one income and sending our children through college. Boy oh boy, they were such lean years. That is why we kept our first motorhome HERE for 24 years. We bought it new at age 25 for the same price of a full-size sedan. It was my wife's stay-at-home-Mom vehicle for a very long time.
Ron Dittmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
Very good point, and great encouragement for those on tighter budgets. Raising a family on one income and sending our children through college. Boy oh boy, they were such lean years.
Know the feeling. Sent 3 kids to college, and helped all 3 get through grad/professional schools. Back then Our Class A with toad worked better for us. Now socking away about the same as a MH payment on grandkids 529 plans. We can easily afford a MH, but placed our priorities elsewhere. When paying cash for an RV, it’s hard to watch $100k or more evaporate from your 401k. If we were a bit wealthier, we probably would have opted for the MB Class C. Anyway, we’re on the road and having fun without looking back.

Tags
motor, motorhome