Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 03:24 PM   #1

Want to put tv in overhead bunk area

Probably a 32 inch, maybe bigger. I also want it laying down when traveling. Anyone done this? What modifications did you make.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I've seen new Class C's with the TV mounted up there. Basically it was just on a mount that swings out and back.

Unfortunately I can't remember which make/model it was. I did see that Amazon has some mounts with really long arms.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:11 AM   #3

I haven't done it but I've considered converting that area into more storage. I was thinking about making it partially enclosed so I could have an area to mount a TV. I'll be interested in what you decide and do with this.
Sebal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebal View Post
I haven't done it but I've considered converting that area into more storage. I was thinking about making it partially enclosed so I could have an area to mount a TV. I'll be interested in what you decide and do with this.
I will post it here. There should be a lot of good alternatives. I do want to keep it available for kids to sleep but I am sure I can make it easily converted. Maybe I will get more suggestions as I am sure someone has done it.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #5
tcg

Hi, been poking around these forums for a while. First topic that I can contribute to.

We picked up a '96 class c several weeks ago. It did not come with any tvs and the only dedicated spot in the main area was for a very small tv. You can see that shelf on the right where a fan now sits.

At first I started to really over think it and even bought a couple different mounts with swing arms. Then it hit me, keep it simple.

Here's my mount. I went to the home store and bought a small white shelf board and put it on the bunk. The tv sits on top of it. That bunk cushion is removable so I could have flipped it over and set the tv on the underside instead of a board but I like the cushions to match.

I can also remove the cushion and just slide that same shelf board under the remaining cushion and it creates a little shelf. The weight of the cushion holds it in place.

When we travel I just flip the tv on it's screen and move it off to the side. The base hooks in between the cushions and it does not slide around.

The bonus is I can just unplug it and move it outside for that fancy outdoor entertainment center that all the new ones have. Or I can put the tv on the dinette table if we want to use the bunk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mh_05.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	135741  
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #6

Tcg, that is pretty much what I thought I would do. Do you place the shelving board on top of the cushion and the then the tv. I suppose with a big enough shelf, it would not rock when walking in the mh.

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:41 AM   #7
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by olustee bus View Post
Tcg, that is pretty much what I thought I would do. Do you place the shelving board on top of the cushion and the then the tv. I suppose with a big enough shelf, it would not rock when walking in the mh.

Thanks.
It's a 12" x 24" shelf board. My particular tv base is less than 12 inches so it fits on top of the board with a couple inches to spare. I got a 24" one so I could slide most of it under the cushion and just leave enough sticking out if I want to use it without the cushion.

It doesn't wobble around when walking around inside. The center cushion on mine is removable for easier access to the cab and the underside has a vinyl covered board. It can just be flipped and it's a lot more stable. But I'm nuts and like the cushions all facing the same way.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:01 PM   #8

I don't use my overhead for sleeping so I put a 50" flat screen up there. Mounted on a swing arm mount.Like being at the movies.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
I don't use my overhead for sleeping so I put a 50" flat screen up there. Mounted on a swing arm mount.Like being at the movies.
I would sure like to see that swing arm, how you mounted and what it looks like.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:43 AM   #10

I glued and screwed a piece of 1/2 plywood to the deck. I used a mount that mounts flat to the plywood instead of to a wall. I left the feet on the TV so it actually sits on the plywood. It holds it in place and lets it swivel out to get behind it. I had to find a TV with the right height to fit.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote