Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2022, 11:06 AM   #1

WANTED: experienced advice on which class C RV

We are brand new to RVing and beginning the process of looking at small class C RVs for a retired couple. We have narrowed our choice down to the Phoenix Cruiser 2552 or the Tiffin Wayfarer. We’ve been in both and both seem like they would meet our needs. Other than the obvious difference in chassis (Ford E450 vs. Mercedes sprinter), both have very similar available floor plans for twin beds with a small front slider to expand the living and kitchen areas. I can find several 2020 or 2021 models with similar prices and fairly low mileage. I’ve closely read threads here… I am wondering if there are any other distinguishing characteristics, issues, considerations that experienced RVers would factor into this equation. Both look so close to me that it seems to come down almost solely to a choice between chassis and availability to purchase. Tiffin offers a slightly more updated euro feeling interior, but that alone isn’t a decider. Can anyone provide more perspective for a new buyer?
Redberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2022, 11:58 AM   #2
chs

As far as the chassis, the Sprinter (Mercedes) are harder and more expensive to maintain than Fords gas engine. Some may say that the diesels get better mileage and have more power. Yes they do, but your paying a lot of up front cost for it and the fuel is more expensive. As for the power, your buying a smaller unit, so it should not be an issue.
Good luck and safe travels.
chs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 02:33 PM   #3

Redberi,

Keep in mind that nearly all Sprinters have a propane generator. Propane is a very essential on-board fuel used for cooking, heating water, heating the house, and running your fridge. Using it to also run your generator for battery maintenance and other 110V needs, and you'll be short on propane.

The Phoenix Cruiser 2552 has a 55 gallon gasoline tank of which 3/4 of it can be used to run the gasoline generator.

I beg to differ with chs with regards to power. The E450 chassis power plant, both the previous 6.8L-V10 engine and the new more powerful 7.3L-V8 engine offer more power.....and the new V8 is more powerful and fuel efficient than the V10.

I agree with chs with regards to cost of maintenance. Keeping a Sprinter properly maintained is costly. It's just too "particular" over when, what, and where for maintenance.

We own a Phoenix Cruiser model 2350 that we purchased new in 2007 and still have today. I endorse the shorter E350 and longer E450 Phoenix Cruisers. There are some Sprinter-based Phoenix Cruisers and also Transit-based, but I am partial to the E350 and E450 chassis. Model 2552 is one of the best well-balanced models which will yield better handling characteristics than most other models. Model 2552 is most popular for a variety of good reasons.

Not putting down the Tiffin Wayfarer, but the two don't compare, especially given the same purchase price. This is my opinion.
Old 02-04-2022, 04:29 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I have been researching the B+/small Class C market for several years. Here's what I decided on & why:
1. I want a Ford. Easier to find shops that'll work on Fords than on Mercedes.
2. I want a Ford. Not as expensive to maintain vs a Mercedes. I've had a Ford car & a BMW car. Believe me, the Ford was WAY less expensive for maintenance! The Mercedes would be equally as expensive as the BMW.
3. I want a Ford. I don't have to constantly worry about all the DEF failures that've plagued the big coaches & I'm sure will crop up on the Mercedes diesels.
4. I want a Ford. The CCC appears to be more on them vs the Sprinters.
5. I want a Phoenix Cruiser. Quality constructed RV. I've not seen the same quality in any other mfrs I've checked out, with the exception of Coach House & those are even scarcer to find than PC's.
6. I want a Phoenix Cruiser. It's the ONLY one with the large storage drawer AND a decent sized storage bay at the rear. I've looked at everything from Fleetwood to Winnebago & none have as much outside storage the PC.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 05:37 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
The ford will also handle a heavier load if you want to tow a car. 7500 versus 4000 on the Mercedes.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 05:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
1. I want a Ford. Easier to find shops that'll work on Fords than on Mercedes.
You will generally need a Mercedes dealer to work on a Sprinter and not even all Mercedes dealers work on them. I'm sure there are times that you will be 500 miles from any Mercedes dealer, let alone one that works on Sprinters. Pretty much any small town is going to have someone that can work on a Ford.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:31 PM   #7

You’ve picked 2 good ones. I agree with others the Ford has many benefits. Easier to get repairs,cheaper maintenance etc. it also has a much larger carrrying capacity and if decide to tow a car the Ford will do it easily. The gas generator is huge plus. The Phoenix cruiser is awesome coach and well built it would be my personal choice for sure
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:40 PM   #8

We have a Coach House 272 on the ford chassis and would recommend this chassis. The new Ford chassis has all the driving safety features that the new Mercedes’ chassis has. We traded in a Mercedes sprinter motorhome because the OCCC was always a battle and it was limited to 4200 tow capacity. On the Coach House, we have 2500 OCCC and 7500 tow capacity.

The construction of the Coach House is true quality. A post made on our initial impression of our coach was posted and a search should bring it up. The two quality class c’s are Phoenix Cruiser and Coach House. The downside now is the wait time for them to build a new Coach.
hpdrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:03 PM   #9

Let me speak from experience on the MBS Sprinter. Maintenance is really on the high side for a Mercedes product. Some, you can do yourself, like the oil change, with special tools. But, once you start getting into the scheduled maintenance programs (A & B), you can easily hit the $1K plus range. Having said that, the 6 cylinder engine performs well, and towed a 2 dr Jeep Wrangler with no issues. Economy is all over. depending on where you travel. On a flat road, you an get 15 mpg. Towing over the Rockies, we got anywhere from 7 to 15 mpg. Probably the biggest area of concern would be the proverbial "what if you break down". To me, this is the weak link of the MBS as only authorized Mercedes dealers can work on the Sprinter chassis. They have to be approved by Mercedes, go through special training, and have specific tools, lifts etc to do this (at a large expense to the dealer). The problem s if you travel in the certain parts of the country, there is not an "authorized" repair center within 500 miles of you, or more (note that some Freightliner dealers are authorized, also). This is where you really need to have a reputable roadside service plan that will tow you to authorized repair center with no out of pocket expense, so you really have to research this. The Wayfarer is a nice unit, but you will be plagued by one large problem, and that is cargo carrying capacity. The Wayfarer is so heavy, that once the two of you, a change of underwear, and a loaf of bread - you're approaching an overloaded condition. I am being facetious, but you really have to be aware of your weight(s). Ford is not as restrictive, easier to get parts for (chassis / engine), easier for service, less expensive to maintain. If you go into these two RV's, with an open mind, knowing the base restrictions, then you can make an educated decision on purchase.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 03:36 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
...The Wayfarer is so heavy, that once the two of you, a change of underwear, and a loaf of bread - you're approaching an overloaded condition. ...
Facetious=yes, but SO true.
Old 02-05-2022, 04:06 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO from just looking at specs and such,, The ford Phoenix seems to offer more, be less trouble , easy to get serviced and repaired..
If I was ordering a 2022, it would be the same.. especially 2552.. options are sweet, 50amp, cabover entertainment., macerator,etc....... in my case a dream,but for someone in the market nice choices,
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 05:56 PM   #12

Is there ever any reason to buy a sprinter chassis ?
Stevemcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:36 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
'Cuz you wanna be able to say you drive a Mercedes! Makes you sound classy.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:17 PM   #14

The Wayfarer is 11'-4" compared to the Phoenix Cruiser at 10'-1", and the stance is a lot more narrow. Don't take on a curve in the road too aggressively in the Wayfarer or you might find yourself on two....or is it three wheels.

Tags
advice, class c