Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2021, 09:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
That little bit of water will NOT protect/stop the Electric Element from burning out.....they have to be submerged in order to dissipate the heat generated by the energized element.
When my tank is drained using the drain plug outside, the 110V heating element remains submerged in that 1/2 gallon of water. The Atwood tech told me that is deliberately designed so to protect the 110V heating element in case of operator error.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2021, 09:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
When my tank is drained using the drain plug outside, the 110V heating element remains submerged in that 1/2 gallon of water. The Atwood tech told me that is deliberately designed so to protect the 110V heating element in case of operator error.

Turn it on and see how long it lasts.......LOL

**have a new one for replacement and hopefully backside is easy to access
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #17

Just a short follow up on the Element

Atwood Service Manual states
NOTE:Heating element can be operated on an empty tank for a limited period of time before it self-destructs.

I was only joking about turning it on and seeing what happens......

It will burn up even with that '1/2 gal' of water in the bottom of tank
That amount of water being left behind was NOT to protect the element but due to design of WH Tank
Both Suburban and Atwood use a cylindrical tank.
Suburban installs components on the 'end' of that tank and drain hole can be positioned lower
Atwood installs components on the 'side wall' of tank. Therefore due to it being curved the drain can not be positioned at the bottom or it would not be accessible thru the drawn pan.

Do NOT turn element on after draining.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregors View Post
I believe the only run on propane.
I was looking at them on the Internet a couple of nights ago and did run across one that was propane & electric. Not sure of the brand but I don't think it was one of the normal RV brands. I also don't recall the price but I don't think it was cheap. I guess my point is that if you want a propane/electric tankless water heater there is one out there.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I was looking at them on the Internet a couple of nights ago and did run across one that was propane & electric. Not sure of the brand but I don't think it was one of the normal RV brands. I also don't recall the price but I don't think it was cheap. I guess my point is that if you want a propane/electric tankless water heater there is one out there.
Real question is........what AC requirements
120VAC is not going to keep up with 'Demand'
240VAC would but eats up a lot of available amps
Old 04-03-2021, 06:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Just a short follow up on the Element

Atwood Service Manual states
NOTE:Heating element can be operated on an empty tank for a limited period of time before it self-destructs.

I was only joking about turning it on and seeing what happens......

It will burn up even with that '1/2 gal' of water in the bottom of tank
That amount of water being left behind was NOT to protect the element but due to design of WH Tank
Both Suburban and Atwood use a cylindrical tank.
Suburban installs components on the 'end' of that tank and drain hole can be positioned lower
Atwood installs components on the 'side wall' of tank. Therefore due to it being curved the drain can not be positioned at the bottom or it would not be accessible thru the drawn pan.

Do NOT turn element on after draining.
I called Atwood about the extra 1/2 gallon of water remaining in the tank after draining. Technical support told me it was to protect the 110V element from burning up under owner-error conditions.

I have never tried it and don't plan to, but just maybe the boiling noise is very loud, a signal to the owner he needs to quickly turn off the HWT in 110V mode.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
I called Atwood about the extra 1/2 gallon of water remaining in the tank after draining. Technical support told me it was to protect the 110V element from burning up under owner-error conditions.

I have never tried it and don't plan to, but just maybe the boiling noise is very loud, a signal to the owner he needs to quickly turn off the HWT in 110V mode.
Atwood Tech Support......now that is an Oxymoron

Believe what you wish.
The Element WILL burn up even sitting in that 1/2 gal of water spread out across the full length of tank
Element IS not 'submerged'
Old 04-04-2021, 06:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Atwood Tech Support......now that is an Oxymoron

Believe what you wish.
The Element WILL burn up even sitting in that 1/2 gal of water spread out across the full length of tank
Element IS not 'submerged'
All I know is that with my tank drained, I removed the 110V heating element and roughly a 1/2 gallon of water came rushing out. It fits with what the tech told me. I have no reason to conclude otherwise.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:56 AM   #23

Thermal Dynamics.........

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater