Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2017, 06:30 PM   #1

Water problem?

Has anyone ever had their fresh water tank fill up and over flow when hooked up to city water? My 2014 Minnie Winnie class C did just that. I did it two times to make sure I wasn't imagining things and it filled up an empty fresh water tank when I turned the city water on. Any advice or recommendations?

Dan and Bonnie Zucchi
2014 Class C 31E
danzrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 07:40 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

If you have one female hose connection to hook up your water hose, then you have a valve that can be set to 'Tank Fill' or 'City Water.' If that valve fails to close, then you overfill the water tank since the water pressure leaks into the tank. If you don't have a selection valve as described above, and instead have a separate gravity fill for the tank, then while on city water you have a check valve that is allowing the water pressure to leak back into the tank. Another sign that the check valve is leaking would be if using the pump, even when no one is using water the pump will come on to build pressure lost by the check valve leaking back into the tank.

The water tank can be over filled if the water enters faster than the small overflow lines can empty, inflating your water tank like a balloon. As the tank expands, it can damage surrounding structure or even split.

I'd replace the selection valve if you have one, or the check valve between the pump and the tank. Often the check valve is built into the pump, either see if it can be replaced, or add a new check valve to the line.

Until fixed, I'd use the pump and not city water, or you could damage the tank or it's surrounding area.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:55 PM   #3

Doesn't your MH have a fill for the tank and a fill for the city water connection? My 2014 Itasca 31K has two connections.
Winnebago lists a 31K and 31H for 2014 floor plans. What is a 31 E ?
Old 07-23-2017, 08:50 PM   #4

your fresh tank should have an overflow line, so that when it is full, the excess can run out. Sometimes, that is how I determine that mine is completely full. Your problem is probably the backflow valve that is either in the waterpump, or in a line on one side. If it is leaking, then you will get a backflow into the tank, filling it up. Its not a major repair job, but may have to replace the pump. What I do when it occasionally happens is just to shut off the faucet, and use water from the tank for a while. When it starts to get low, turn the faucet back on, and use as normal. After a couple of times, mine quit doing it, might have been some sand ot sediment that got in the line and let the valve leak. So far, it is still working ok, but I just keep an eye on it. I do flush our tank several during the season, usually carry about 1/2 tank, and have NO problems using it or everything, including drinking. Although we usually carry bottled water for drinking, as they are easy to keep refrigerated.
Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:01 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelj View Post
your fresh tank should have an overflow line, so that when it is full, the excess can run out. Sometimes, that is how I determine that mine is completely full. Your problem is probably the backflow valve that is either in the waterpump, or in a line on one side. If it is leaking, then you will get a backflow into the tank, filling it up. Its not a major repair job, but may have to replace the pump. What I do when it occasionally happens is just to shut off the faucet, and use water from the tank for a while. When it starts to get low, turn the faucet back on, and use as normal. After a couple of times, mine quit doing it, might have been some sand ot sediment that got in the line and let the valve leak. So far, it is still working ok, but I just keep an eye on it. I do flush our tank several during the season, usually carry about 1/2 tank, and have NO problems using it or everything, including drinking. Although we usually carry bottled water for drinking, as they are easy to keep refrigerated.
If you compare the cross section of the overflow drains to the pressurized input lines, you'll see that the volume going in will quickly overwhelm the capacity of the drains. This, as I said, can cause the tank to inflate. Never leave the water hose unattended while filling the tank.

Rather than contribute to plastic waste, and being too tight to pay for water, we use a Brita water pitcher to provide cold drinking water.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:18 AM   #6

water problem

Thanks for all the replies. I do have two separate fill connections, and I believe it is some sort of valve that has either gone bad or is clogged. I called Winnebago and they told me essentially what all the replies said and that it was a dealer repair. So I guess I'll take it in for repair. Also it is a 31K just a slip of the finger. LOL Again thanks for the replies.

Dan and Bonnie Zucchi
South Carolina
Minnie Winnie 31K
danzrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzrebel View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I do have two separate fill connections, and I believe it is some sort of valve that has either gone bad or is clogged. I called Winnebago and they told me essentially what all the replies said and that it was a dealer repair. So I guess I'll take it in for repair. Also it is a 31K just a slip of the finger. LOL Again thanks for the replies.

Dan and Bonnie Zucchi
South Carolina
Minnie Winnie 31K
As stated by BFlinn above, it's most likely the city/tank fill valve or the check valve near the 12 volt pump. Let the dealer take care of it if under warranty and he isn't a hundred miles away. In my case, warranty expired and nearest dealer in Houston, i'd fix it myself. Both should be fairly easy DIY projects.

Tags
water