Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by southland View Post
Visa and MC, no problem altho you may need to reset pay at pump due to max amount.
One time I did that, it said to: See store Clerk. I just used another card.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #16

I found that if I call my CC (customer service), before I start a trip and advise them I am on the road. They take the dollar restriction off my CC for fuel purchases. They are happy and I am happy.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #17

I thought that was set by the individual gas station. They tell me it is to reduce gas theft by runners.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #18

That's what I thought, but found out is the Credit Card company most of the time.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #19

Then, how come it is different at different gas stations with the same card?

Old 01-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
RV bookstore - the world's largest online RV bookstore

"The RVers Friend" Directory.

We used this book on our Alaska trip. We had Diesel then, but it was a great help. It works when there is no cell tower for an app to work.
kelliepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #21

I think it depends on what RV type and size your sporting. If your in a DP and over maybe 35 feet or so I would choose Flying J's or Pilots. I hate the FJ motorhome side though as it is tight with a large RV and trailer and the pump is really slow (like 10 gallons a minute or something Yawn). Just go into the truck side and filler up with the real pumps.
Some states don't advertise taxes in the fuel price and will not let "some" stations pump diesel from the truck side into an RV so you have to be careful. Indiana is one and Loves forces you to the car pumps I like Loves though in other states. Pilot and Flying J will let you fuel but it seems like it takes 900 key strokes by the attendant to set the pump up for you.
Many of the TA's seem older and set up mostly for truckers although I am sure you could fuel up there.
Something I find strange, many times when searching for Flying J's, Pilots, or Loves along my route the stops do not show up on an internet search even using that brands internet site, but they are there. Not sure why

Thanks for the App tip, I will try that.
Windecker
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Driving across I-10 I was looking forward to using my Flying J/ Pilot card to save on fuel prices WRONG. For example, in El Paso, Valerio was $3.59 credit, for diesel and Flying J was 3.89 credit, 3.83 for cash.
It's been this way the whole trip. Flying J/Pilot, Loves, TA are all priced high. I will say they are convienient, but with a little homework so are the inexpensive ones.
3.59 less 5% rebate with a discover card is a pretty good savings. I would rather have that kind of savings than a convient Flying J Slurpee.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #23

It almost sounds like Flying J/Pilot, Loves, and TA are reading this forum and adjusting their prices for the anticipated increase in business. FJ used to be lower than almost everybody else in Phx. A recent check showed them to be higher than most.

What really irks me is that they haven't even closed the straits near Iran and the price of fuel went up. Come on, a leaf fell yesterday, lets jack up the fuel prices.

I wonder if Punxsutawney Phil sees or doesn't see his shadow they raise the prices of fuel.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
We have an Exxon Mobile Master Card which gives us back 15˘ on every gallon. I have the Exxon Mobile app in my smartphone, but the locator on my GPS seems to find more Exxon an Mobile stations than the app does.
kelliepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Driving across I-10 I was looking forward to using my Flying J/ Pilot card to save on fuel prices WRONG. For example, in El Paso, Valerio was $3.59 credit, for diesel and Flying J was 3.89 credit, 3.83 for cash.
It's been this way the whole trip. Flying J/Pilot, Loves, TA are all priced high. I will say they are convienient, but with a little homework so are the inexpensive ones.
3.59 less 5% rebate with a discover card is a pretty good savings. I would rather have that kind of savings than a convient Flying J Slurpee.
Many people running diesels are reporting this. Seems Valero is blowing P/FG out of the water. I'm just glad I have a gasser @ 40 cents less @gal and P/FG pretty much beats everyone else on gas. I guess us gassers can thank you diesels for cheaper prices.
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #26

Like anything else, the market for various stops along the way are priced based upon what they think we will pay.
I think the industry had become very high tech with regards to pricing from town to town.
Windecker
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Your best "app" is Gas Buddy. Once you learn how to use it and drill down to specific prices by gas station you will never go near Flying J, Loves or Pilot. Fuel can be had for much less than they want. I look specifically for cash prices, they can add up as well.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #28

Let me point out, that if you use Flying J's services such as overnighting, propane, dump station, etc., you should patronize their establishment. They have the welcome mat out for RV'ers, therefore paying a few pennies more for this convenience is not unreasonable. If you don't use their services, by all means purchase where you like.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel