Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
What are the essentials for a new RV?

I have the misfortune of being a geek and am easily distracted by a shiny. You show me something cool and I have to have it. With the purchase of a new RV I quickly spent $2000.00 getting gear for it. Not all of it was shiny. Since my RV sleeps a max of 8 I bought 16 forks, knives, spoons and plates. I figure if I ever max out the occupancy we won’t have to do dishes for every meal. I also bought 2 sets of sheets for every bed surface along with the pots and pans and a few other kitchen items.
I did splurge on Max Air vent covers and a cover for the unit since my 2 car garage just isn’t going to work. I also got a surge guard for the shore power cord and a Bigfoot automatic leveling system. Every time I walk into the RV shop I see something cool I want for it. Where will it end? What I really want to know is what besides the obvious, hoses (sewer and water), Dishes soap and the like do I need for my RV?
Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Well since you're a geek how about:

- Antenna and amplifier for your Verizon or Millenicom aircard..gotta be well connected after all

- Acu-Rite weather station..digital view of all your weather info

- Tire Pressure Monitoring system
Old 08-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some things you might consider:

A handy small set of tools. There are always fixit things on a RV and if you fix them when you find them---then it only takes small tools.

Things to accomodate outside living---a smaller than you think number of folding chairs with side trays attached so you do not have to carry little tables, perhaps a stove/BBQ,

A modest supply of spare parts, light bulbs, assorted batteries, what ever kind of screws hold the cabinet hardware on, washer for hoses, a few hose clamps, some tv cable supplies for weird hook ups at some parks

Here is the deal---right of passage; You are going to cram way too much stuff in there---it's part of the fun---------then you will come to some time when you want to divest of much of this stuff because the drawers and bins are overflowing and when you go to get what you need it is difficult to find. Happens to the best of us.

Occasional philosophical debates can occur over the subject of what does NEED mean. Partnerships have disolved as a result of this debate so go gently where ever you go. It is after all just stuff. Good luck.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Well since you're a geek how about:

- Antenna and amplifier for your Verizon or Millenicom aircard..gotta be well connected after all

- Acu-Rite weather station..digital view of all your weather info

- Tire Pressure Monitoring system
I have upgraded the coach on board radio from The Magnadyne M1-LCD to the Magnadyne M4-LCD with the iPod adapter. I was going to go for the docking station but my dash is already full.

I am waiting to see how the Verizon 4G system comes online before I start adding that kind of equipment.

I think I will add a Tire Pressure Monitoring system. Any suggestions as to who makes the best?
Old 08-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hawkshead tire pressure monitor
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
water pressure regulator, extra water hose, the usual assortment of tape (electrical, scotch, duct, and blue painter), spare fuses, spare bulbs, one set of fuel filters if it is a diesel and a one gallon can of diesel to prime the filters if you do change them. A tool box (I never go anywhere without mine, even though my MH is fairly new).

A large pad of checks (money in the bank is optional), several credit cards with a balance (cause a MH will eat that up fast enough).
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you aren't careful you will need a trailer to store and tow all of your purchases. I recommend NOT buying from an RV store until you have gone home and checked out the reviews and on-line prices. This will help cut down on impulse buys and probably save you some $$ too.

I speak from the experience of being a new RVer. Cash and space can quickly become rare commodities. My plan is now to save the cash for gas and the fun stuff.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinger View Post
I think I will add a Tire Pressure Monitoring system. Any suggestions as to who makes the best?
Truck System Technologies (TST) gets good feedback all around and are probably a good buy.

Pressure Pro are another big mfr, but I've heard both very good and very unhappy feedback on them, so not sure what to think there.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Progressive Industries Surge & Voltage Protector. You can get either hard wired or portable. Either way, worth the price. I wouldn't be without one.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
If you aren't careful you will need a trailer to store and tow all of your purchases. I recommend NOT buying from an RV store until you have gone home and checked out the reviews and on-line prices. This will help cut down on impulse buys and probably save you some $$ too.

I speak from the experience of being a new RVer. Cash and space can quickly become rare commodities. My plan is now to save the cash for gas and the fun stuff.
The only things I get from the RV store is the stuff I have to have right now and only then if it isnt available in Wal-Mart. I am only getting about 5 MPG but when I took it in for service they ran my generator for 20 hours... I hope I do better on my 2nd tank.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Surge guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Progressive Industries Surge & Voltage Protector. You can get either hard wired or portable. Either way, worth the price. I wouldn't be without one.

Lori-
I design computers for a living so surge protection and me are old friends. I chose not to get an installed unit as a surge protector is only good for 3 to 5 years depending on use so I went with a Save at RV Partscenter - RV Parts and Supply I also got the locking box to go with it and a sturdy lock.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Got a new sewer kit. The one supplied was junk.
Surge protector is a must. Had a lightening strick on our last trip.
Water pressure regulator a must. One cg had 70 psi pressure.
L fitting for water connection point.
Outside in-line water filter.
FORD wrench for cg sewer fittings.
Extra hose for black water flush.
Don't over stock with tools.... carry basics.
Extra fuses, light bulbs
Extra oil for generator
Could go on for ever!
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #13

vent cushion (or possibly the insulated one). Worldwide Merchandise Company - Vent Cushion - Fan and Vent Accessories - Camping World

Even though the description says it's for winter, we've found that it makes a world of difference in the summer. We have them in all three vents.

motion detecting security light: Motion Activated Security Light - 12v for RV - PPL Motor Homes

Liz
Old 08-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
New stuff

Well the wife freed some funds for me to hit the RV store with so I got an ADCO Snooze Bonnet as the only 2 times I have had it off the dealership’s lot I found that the cab was a major source of heat and I also got a water pressure regulator. It was much smaller than I imagined and cheaper too. I am considering adding an in-line water filter but will have to research as to who makes the best. My wife is against the addition of the tire pressure monitor as she complains that the dash will soon resemble a starship. My reply was “And?” this was a bad answer…