Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #15

What I wondered was is Thor or Four Winds or Winnabego or Jayco the better C's or is there a entry level then middle level and finally upper end C's
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2017, 10:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushtrk99 View Post
What I wondered was is Thor or Four Winds or Winnabego or Jayco the better C's or is there a entry level then middle level and finally upper end C's
I believe a number of people are trying to tell you, that the 3 RVs you asked about in your first post in this thread, were probably close to each other in build quality. Initial build quality doesn't necessarily mean all that much when you're looking at RVs that are 13 or 14 years old. It's much more important how each was or wasn't maintained over the years. They were all probably fairly close to their GVWR right out of the factory, and things like hyd. jacks eat up some of that fairly limited carrying capacity.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:15 AM   #17

Along with what Mich said you are looking at units old enough to have the care they were given more significant than who built them. Given that all C's are built on a small range of chassis and all the larger one's are on a Ford the differences are in the house. The houses are all built about the same way so the only remaining issue is the trim level. Does it really matter if the counter is solid surface or Formica? That is about the only difference you might see in the units you are talking about. There used to be so probably still are some small suppliers of custom C's built with better techniques and at a better level of quality. I don't know who they are these days. Look up who builds ambulances and see if they are doing some motor homes. Be aware they will be two or three times as expensive. Otherwise it's really a market of the same chassis choices built up with similar materials and techniques drawing house parts from the same supplier pool at roughly the same quality level. Given that a floor plan and available weight carrying are more significant than brand names. The latter is the difference between a lighter and heavier chassis for approximately the same house.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:58 AM   #18

one other thing is : does anybody know when Ford changed the v-10 to the better heads with more spark plug threads-Our Class A we have have now is on a 1999 F-53 chassis and have no problems we but would not want to buy something with that set of heads if possible Thanks Rich
Old 01-07-2017, 07:15 AM   #19

I think 2005 and newer. Had a 2001, head hassle was over rated. The real problem was wrench jockeys who did not read directions and knew more than the engineers.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:00 AM   #20

If that kind of thing is important to you,i would consider the gmc chassis... the cab is much roomier and the engine usually gets better gas millage, and revs lower because its torquier.
Plus a 30 foot with slide is pretty rare in gmc based C's.
But, as mentioned before a thorough inspection will likely reveal which one if any is the truck you want!
heavy metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:50 AM   #21

I am a Ford man-V-10 may have some downfalls but nothing compared to CHEVY--besides there are Ford dealers all over the country-We had tons of brake issues with our last MH---------- Thks Rich
Old 01-10-2017, 05:33 AM   #22
YC1

Where we camped out West I loved the electric jacks. Seems there is no such thing as a level campsite when boondocking. We carried all of the drive on boards etc but often the jacks were enough.

I agree about looking for signs of leaks. Crawl up into the overhead and pull the mattress back. Look in the corners for signs of water. Of course, those models may be A's and not have an overhead sleeper.

Replacing the entertainment stuff is easy.

I have had both engines and loved both. I think the V10 was a bit louder due to the seemingly higher rpms but that is not an issue.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #23

"They were all probably fairly close to their GVWR right out of the factory,"..BINGO

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote