Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2021, 04:04 PM   #1

What do you think of this RV?

Please forgive me if I'm in the wrong sub-forum.

I'm going to check out a 27' 1998 Itasca Spirit on the Chevy G3500. They're asking $18,000.

The NADA price ($6700-low to $8050-avg) is A LOT lower than what they're asking: https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1998/...3017691/Values.

What do you think this RV is worth? I think $18k is quite a bit high. Where would you hope to negotiate to?

Here's their description:

"Selling my 1998 Class C 27 foot Itasca Spirit Motorhome. 8 cylinder 7.4 liter. Low mileage 36,300. In good condition. Includes 200 watt solar panels and a 1,000 watt inverter. 4 deep cycle house batteries. Tire pressure monitoring system with 2 extra tire pressure sensors. New tires and 2 spare tires. New fuel pump. New front brakes and rotors. Just passed inspection in June. Dual rear backup cameras. Built in generator needs carb work we never fixed it cause we never needed it due to the solar system. 30 gallon water tank and 55 gallon gas tank. Perfect motorhome for boondocking. Also includes motorcycle carrier that held our 800 lb dresser from NH to Sturgis and back with no issues. Frame was reinforced to carry the weight with air bags also on the suspension. Awning is usable but could be replaced due to age wear and a tear in the right corner. Living room area has a 40" LED Flatscreen TV with Blue Ray player. Bedroom has a 20" LED Flatscreen TV with DVD Player."

Thank you!
jcbodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2021, 04:10 PM   #2

It's only worth what he/she can get someone else to pay him/her for it.
Problem is, the RV biz is still pretty much a sellers market right now due to covid fear and loathing. Not enough supply for the demand.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:29 PM   #3

I agree with Winterbagoal. It most certainly is a sellers market. There seems to be many upgrades but not $10,000 worth. How much are you willing to spend? Is this motorhome really worth $18,000? A 23 year old motorhome can be hiding many unseen problems, the biggest being water damage. What kind of maintenance was done? As a mechanic and a NY state inspector I can tell you things can be missed during an annual inspection. I would look it over very carefully and offer what you feel comfortable spending. Good luck
Old 09-09-2021, 04:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINWIN24 View Post
I agree with Winterbagoal. It most certainly is a sellers market. There seems to be many upgrades but not $10,000 worth. How much are you willing to spend? Is this motorhome really worth $18,000? A 23 year old motorhome can be hiding many unseen problems, the biggest being water damage. What kind of maintenance was done? As a mechanic and a NY state inspector I can tell you things can be missed during an annual inspection. I would look it over very carefully and offer what you feel comfortable spending. Good luck
Never fixed the generator. What else was ignored? Give it a pass and spend your money on stuff that works.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:48 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 96 Minnie Winnie 29RQ, just turned 35K, 400watt solar + extra new batteries, new awning, new floors, new 32inch tv, New frt brakes new shocks, tires have 6k on them, all fluids done, new rad and fan. Genny upgraded, serviced and quieted somewhat <60db. OH NEW AC. Roof sealed. new inverter, new ATS all work done in last 2 years

I was going to ask 15K in spring,, but I would take 20K and deliver it to you.. LOL, kidding not for sale yet

Sorry for my way of posting but IMO that UNIT is way over priced.. I got mine with around 29K on it, Very Clean, had an inspection ny RV dealer.. yeah stuff worked but....
expect to sink cash into it.. I went overboard maybe but I wanted more modern and to able to jump in on a moments notice and GO RVing.. I have that now, but have gotten offers over 14-15K every time I take it someplace..
Market is NUTZ and so are some buyers...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibe View Post
I have a 96 Minnie Winnie 29RQ, just turned 35K, 400watt solar + extra new batteries, new awning, new floors, new 32inch tv, New frt brakes new shocks, tires have 6k on them, all fluids done, new rad and fan. Genny upgraded, serviced and quieted somewhat <60db. OH NEW AC. Roof sealed. new inverter, new ATS all work done in last 2 years

I was going to ask 15K in spring,, but I would take 20K and deliver it to you.. LOL, kidding not for sale yet

Sorry for my way of posting but IMO that UNIT is way over priced.. I got mine with around 29K on it, Very Clean, had an inspection ny RV dealer.. yeah stuff worked but....
expect to sink cash into it.. I went overboard maybe but I wanted more modern and to able to jump in on a moments notice and GO RVing.. I have that now, but have gotten offers over 14-15K every time I take it someplace..
Market is NUTZ and so are some buyers...
Thanks for the input! I would offer close to half what they're asking.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #7

Also ... a 27 ft. Class C is too much coach for a Chevy 3500 or Ford E350 chassis. For that length, you want the Chevy 4500 chassis or Ford E450 chassis.

Regarding comments above about leaks, if that 1998 Itasca (built by Winnebago) is anything like our 2005 Itasca Class C - it has a one piece, crowned, fiberglass roof with the edges being rolled over the sidewalls about 3" all along both sides - such that the sidewall top edges are up inside a fiberglass covering instead of meeting the roof edge via a seam. A crowned roof is stronger than a flat one, in that it provides superior support during thousands of miles of travel while bearing the weight of an air conditioner.

Also, I believe many Class C motorhomes way back in that time frame (especially Winnebago's Itasca line) were built better than those in more recent times. Even as late as 2005, our 2005 24 ft. Itasca Class C (built on a Ford E450 chassis) is solidly built and has hung together for the 15 years (we bought it new in 2006) that we have owned it. We even take it on gravel/dirt back roads and nothing in the coach interior has loosened or fallen apart from this.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Also ... a 27 ft. Class C is too much coach for a Chevy 3500 or Ford E350 chassis. For that length, you want the Chevy 4500 chassis or Ford E450 chassis.

Regarding comments above about leaks, if that 1998 Itasca (built by Winnebago) is anything like our 2005 Itasca Class C - it has a one piece, crowned, fiberglass roof with the edges being rolled over the sidewalls about 3" all along both sides - such that the sidewall top edges are up inside a fiberglass covering instead of meeting the roof edge via a seam. A crowned roof is stronger than a flat one, in that it provides superior support during thousands of miles of travel while bearing the weight of an air conditioner.

Also, I believe many Class C motorhomes way back in that time frame (especially Winnebago's Itasca line) were built better than those in more recent times. Even as late as 2005, our 2005 24 ft. Itasca Class C (built on a Ford E450 chassis) is solidly built and has hung together for the 15 years (we bought it new in 2006) that we have owned it. We even take it on gravel/dirt back roads and nothing in the coach interior has loosened or fallen apart from this.
Thanks, Phil! Do you think they've overloaded the chassis? What symptoms of this would you expect to see?
Old 09-10-2021, 11:44 AM   #9

I'm no expert on an overloaded motorhome chassis, but from reading and thinking about it, things like this might happen:

1. A real smooth, cushy, squashy ride that kindof "feels great" when traveling straight down smooth roads, and maybe even on moderately rough roads.

2. An out-of-control swaying feeling on long road curves at posted speed limits and even slower speeds.

3. An out-of-control swaying feeling when going over the hump or dip leading into/out-of a parking lot when approaching the hump or dip at an angle.

4. A fully loaded coach ride height that is slightly lower in the rear, or even just barely level most of the time.

5. Seemingly an earlier than "normal" need to replace the brake pads - either the front pads or both the front and rear pads.

6. Very high coach side-rocking when camped in high side-winds.

7. Very high coach side-push when being passed by large trucks on the open road.

8. Earlier than expected tire blowouts or sidewall cracking - if not using posted maximum tire pressures - because of the extra sidewall heat generated from heavy sidewall flexing due to high coach weights.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:31 PM   #10

NADA is what banks use so I'm not surprised to see the low value that you mention. From what I've looked at online, the prices for that particular MH are all over the board depending on the year and mileage. Not surprised I guess but I'm thinking that is high, especially when you factor in a non-working genset and an awning in need of replacement. The new fuel pump and tires are definitely a plus.

Maybe if it was all in working order and in pretty good shape it might sell for that but I don't think I would offer to meet that price. Maybe ten or so grand in my book figuring I'm going to have to or have to pay to bring the awning and generator up to snuff.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbodwell View Post
Please forgive me if I'm in the wrong sub-forum.

I'm going to check out a 27' 1998 Itasca Spirit on the Chevy G3500. They're asking $18,000.

The NADA price ($6700-low to $8050-avg) is A LOT lower than what they're asking: https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1998/...3017691/Values.

What do you think this RV is worth? I think $18k is quite a bit high. Where would you hope to negotiate to?

Here's their description:

"Selling my 1998 Class C 27 foot Itasca Spirit Motorhome. 8 cylinder 7.4 liter. Low mileage 36,300. In good condition. Includes 200 watt solar panels and a 1,000 watt inverter. 4 deep cycle house batteries. Tire pressure monitoring system with 2 extra tire pressure sensors. New tires and 2 spare tires. New fuel pump. New front brakes and rotors. Just passed inspection in June. Dual rear backup cameras. Built in generator needs carb work we never fixed it cause we never needed it due to the solar system. 30 gallon water tank and 55 gallon gas tank. Perfect motorhome for boondocking. Also includes motorcycle carrier that held our 800 lb dresser from NH to Sturgis and back with no issues. Frame was reinforced to carry the weight with air bags also on the suspension. Awning is usable but could be replaced due to age wear and a tear in the right corner. Living room area has a 40" LED Flatscreen TV with Blue Ray player. Bedroom has a 20" LED Flatscreen TV with DVD Player."

Thank you!
We just sold our 1997 RexAir 32' gas rig, on a Ford F53 chassis. Everything worked (including the generator) and everything was upgraded and sold it on the high end of NADA.

I know it's a sellers market..but I think 18K is WAY too high.

Take your time and keep looking, it may take a while, but you'll eventually find one that fits your needs AND is affordable. BUT...you need to learn what's what in regards to RV's, so that you can make a quick decision when that right one comes along.

This forum is a good place to ask questions.

For example: The ad says a great rig for boon-docking...really? I don't think a rig with only a 30 gallon water tank is good for boon-docking. 70 gallon or more would be better. And a 55 gallon gas tank isn't that big either. Those TV's and Blueray player...not important. The awning is a bit more important and will probably need to be replaced.

I would post what you are looking for here or on a new thread and the collective group here on IRV2 can and will help you look.

There was a gal a while back who posted she was new to RVing but was looking, and everyone chimed in and helped her 'learn' what she wanted/needed, and after 6 months or so, she bought her 1st Class A and loved it. As a result, I'm still in contact with her even though we've never met.

So tell us what you plan on using the RV for, what your budget is, and if you're looking for a class A, B or C. And if you don't know the difference, then you've come to the right place as everyone here can help steer you in the right direction.

So...let's go! Let us help you find your new rig!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Never fixed the generator. What else was ignored? Give it a pass and spend your money on stuff that works.
I too would not even give this one a thought. Priced too high for one thing. Also kinda sounds like its owner may not have been all that great at maintaining it properly. Carrying around 800 lbs on the rear probably had it overloaded at times.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:28 AM   #13

Thank you to everyone who replied with their thoughts and opinions.

We checked out the RV yesterday and spent several hours with the owners. We brought my father-in-law who is knowledgeable about the drivetrain on this RV and has some experience with RVs too.

We were very impressed with the condition of this RV. It was clear to us that the owners took very good care of it, storing it under a shed in the winter, performing regular maintenance on the roof, etc.

What really blew us away was the near absence of rust on the unit. The undercarriage was amazingly free of rust for any year vehicle in our area, let alone a 1998.

The owners are very nice people and we could tell by our interactions that they are very particular about taking care of the thing.

We're going back today and if they'll accept a lower offer of around $14-15k we are happy to purchase it. Others we've seen in this price range either sell very quickly or are not in the same condition.

I just wanted to update this thread for completeness sake. TY.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:43 PM   #14

Like others have said a 27ft Class C should be on a 4500 chassis. I think a Chevy 3500 chassis can be overloaded on the rear axle carrying an 800lb motorcycle on the hitch carrier. The total coach weight might be over also. Maybe that’s why the front pads and rotors were replaced with 36,000 miles from driving overloaded.

Check for water leaks around the cab over front window if it has one.
SergioP is online now   Reply With Quote