Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2016, 12:58 PM   #1

What is the advantage of leveling?

We recently bought a 31 ft MH. It does not have a leveling system, but I see that quite a few MH's do have leveling devices. What is the advantage? Thanks...
fadorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Fridge works better, You can get a full glass of beer, and you don't roll out of bed!

It also makes setting up camp easer, no digging holes, or running up on boards, just push the button.

Welcome to iRV2!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:10 PM   #3

I like that the motorhome does not rock when walking around in it or when laying in bed and others are walking around in it.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's simply easier and more convenient to have a leveling system, either manual or automatic. With manual leveling you push buttons to extend/retract the jacks, while watching a level. With automatic leveling you push a button and stand back to watch the system figure out when level.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #5

All the above are correct. But our first MH didn't have one and since we have had boats we really didn't miss it except for front to back leveling. We really didn't mind the rocking and the refrigerator will operate just fine on an angle unless sever. If your comfortable it's fine.
Few 2x8s and you can level pretty quick.
good luck
pointrow
Old 03-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
With the auto system I don't need to get in and out of the coach to level. It is all done with a flip of a button. Takes about 45 seconds. Being disabled it makes life a lot simpler.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #7

The big things are to prolong the life of the refrigerator and being able to completely empty the waste tanks. To get the most life out of a refrigerator the manufacturers say the motorhome it has to be leveled to within 3* front to rear.

Also it's hard to completely empty the tanks if it's leaning t one side or front to rear. the first motorhome we rented was a class C without leveling jacks. We took it to Rocky Mountain National Park. Unfortunately we didn't have anything along to level the it, so we spent a week chasing everything we dropped all the way to the front of the motorhome.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #8

I don't like being off level. I can lay in bed and tell you if we are a 1/4 in. off.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #9

Depending on model and brand of coach, some manufacturers "prefer" that the coach be level to facilitate slide deployment, while others dont. No slides-no problem!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:12 PM   #10

You don't have to have built-in levellers. The plastic wedgie versions work well under the wheels. They do take more time to get an acceptable attitude. It looks like built-in hydraulic or electric levellers are not typically included on a Class C rig.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #11

Side-to-side level is more important to me. A couple of degrees off isn't too bad, 5 or 6 or so and it gets harder to walk and move around and definitely harder to sleep. If you want to make a quick measurement, use your phone and do a Google search for bubble level.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #12

Your unit should be close to level for both comfort and the fridge. Getting it close is usually good enough. It comes down to how you level. I did boards for a while and thought it was fine until I had to break camp in a pouring rain. Getting the wet boards stored along with the mud, cured me of that. With a leveling system, press a button the the levelors retract and you're off. Same as when you get there. Much easier setting up.

Required no, helpful you bet.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:26 PM   #13

Carolina Campers
What is the advantage of leveling?

My wife has her way of leveling me out.... A frying pan against one side or the other... All I know is that I am generally leveled out when she is done...
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #14

One of the reasons cited by owners of longer Class C coaches for not installing leveler systems is that they are loathe to reduce NCC (Net Carrying Capacity) by the weight of the leveler system. This problem was more acute in older Ford E350/450-based coaches, as those chassis had a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of 14,050 pounds.

Smaller coaches built on the same chassis have a higher NCC to begin with, but ironically people with 28-foot and smaller Class Cs seem to be less interested in automatic leveling.

The GVWRs of equivalent-length Class As are frequently a couple thousand pounds higher than Class Cs, so you see more things built-in, such as leveling systems.

Manual blocking (leveling) has its drawbacks, yes. Despite these, I found that blocking our former Class C to level it worked pretty well. We used the Lynx Leveler blocks, caps and wheel chocks. I found them easy to store in the lower compartments (limited door sizes).

We occasionally deployed a separate stabilizer under the rear bumper, to reduce coach rocking. It worked, sort of.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling