Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 2012 Fleetwood Jamboree 31m and have driven that thing from San Diego to Bakersfield straight up I-5 thru L.A. at least 20 times now. That stretch of highway beats the piss out of you. Rough as anything. Maybe I got lucky and got a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday built Fleetwood, but I have had no serious problems what so ever.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #30

Navion 24M
Tom24M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #31

Best Class C

I'm X2 on the Born Free. I've owned two class A and two class C motorhomes and nothing compares to the quality of Born Free. There is not a piece of fake wood in the cabinet works of the Born Free, 100% solid hard woods. Until recently they were only available direct from the factory but can now be purchased from Lazy Days in Florida and Arizona. The Born Free factory also has used trade-ins on their website. Another source of used Born Free rigs is on the Born Free Leaping Lions web page.
army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #32

Appalachian Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to GunnyClark
Quote:
Originally Posted by olevangaurd View Post
as a mechanic, anything with a Chev gas and 1 peice roof.stay away from the 460 Fords unless you want to get to know the gas jockeys names and life history wherever you go.
We have a 2012 Freedom Elite 26E with the Ford E-450 chassis and V-10, while it has more power then our old Southwind 454 the best gas mileage we have gotten on to trips from WV to AZ was 7.5 mpg granted that was with a 800lb bike on the back and a Jeep Jk Toad.

DW and I are looking at a super B with a diesel to replace it with
GunnyClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #33
MPH

I'm glad to have run across this thread. I've been trying to figure out the same thing: What is the best Class C MH out there? I won't be able to purchase a brand new coach, so I'm looking at used models anywhere from 4 to 8 years old.

I LOVE a Dynamax 30 footer I found, and would have bought it right then, except I really can't make the purchase until April or May of 2015. I'm supposed to be doing "research" right now -- so DW tells me.

But, really, after looking at and reading about dozens and dozens of Class C MHs, my mind is spinning. Sometimes I think the more I read, the more confusing the whole process becomes to me. And sometimes I think to myself, "Just go out and find the cleanest, most well cared for unit you can find and buy it ... no matter what the brand is."

I know that any unit we purchase will eventually develop problems. We've had 2 travel trailers (a 24' Terry Resort and a 26' Trail Lite w/slide), so we're not naïve at all. We'll deal with problems when they present themselves, of course. But I'd like to make a wise purchase and get a solidly built coach with a good track record for service.

In the mean time ... !!!

I welcome input that might help shed some light on my decision process!

Mel
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post

And sometimes I think to myself, "Just go out and find the cleanest, most well cared for unit you can find and buy it ... no matter what the brand is"

Mel
Best advice I've heard...
Old 08-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #35
MPH

LOL, Bill. Some zen master said, "The answer is within you." Heck, I should follow my gut instinct. Look for the cleanest, best cared for used coach I can find and buy it!
Old 08-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #36

Mel, I would still be waiting if I had to find the perfect RV, given my current budget.

We want a new Airstream trailer and truck. We bought a 1991 Lazy Daze 22' class-C to tide us over. It cost $8,000 which is less than the Sales Tax on my target rig.

So it turns out this one is very solid and as perfect as you could want given its age (everything works but the in-dash A/C).

AND, we're out camping once or twice a month.

I just hope I don't forget about the Airstream.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #37
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
Mel, I would still be waiting if I had to find the perfect RV, given my current budget.

We want a new Airstream trailer and truck. We bought a 1991 Lazy Daze 22' class-C to tide us over. It cost $8,000 which is less than the Sales Tax on my target rig.

So it turns out this one is very solid and as perfect as you could want given its age (everything works but the in-dash A/C).

AND, we're out camping once or twice a month.

I just hope I don't forget about the Airstream.

I would LOVE to find a good, clean Lazy Daze Class C next spring. The only thing about them is a chronic lack of storage!

Sounds like you really like your LD. Don't forget about the Airstream. Keep it high up on the list. Tops on my dream list is a Dynamax 30' C class coach. We'll see ....
Old 08-21-2014, 05:35 AM   #38

Best C Class

If you're going to put some miles on it, the best C Class has to have a Mercedes-Benz chassis. This is a machine like no other. The drivabilit, seating comfort, and reliability is in a class by itself.

I love my Navion 24M with added sleeping area over the cab, which we primarily use for storage. There is tons of floor space during the day and the air bed is extremely comfortable for two adults at night. However, we do use a foam topper on the air mattress for added comfort.

My wife and I just returned from Alaska and got 18 miles to the gallon fully loaded plus our motorcycle on a swivel wheel platform in tow. If you keep your speed at 70 to 80 mph the mileage will drop and be closer to 15.

I love motor home travel and would buy a new one if I could find a better one, so far, it doesn't exist
Tom24M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:08 AM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The MB chassis is certainly a comfortable rid that handles well. I recently managed a fleet of trucks that included two Freightliner Sprinters on the Mercedes Chassis. They are luxurious compared to to the GMC Savanah used previously but... The GMC could be serviced anywhere while the Freightliner/MB Sprinters needed to go to an MB garage for everything & cannot be towed rather must be flat bedded. Overall a very nice product when new but a maintenance nightmare as they aged. Just my $.02.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #40
MPH

Because our trip across the country will take us to some very remote areas and through a lot of rural areas with small towns, I lean toward a Chevy or Ford chassis. Don't wanna get caught in the middle of Montana unable to find a mechanic. My hunch is that it's easier to find mechanics to work on the Chevy or Ford.
Mel
Old 08-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Because our trip across the country will take us to some very remote areas and through a lot of rural areas with small towns, I leanon toward a Chevy or Ford chassis. Don't wanna get caught in the middle of Montana unable to find a mechanic. My hunch is that it's easier to find mechanics to work on the Chevy or Ford.
Mel
You are probably correct but I dont think you need wory about a mechanic with the mercadies chassis
68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #42
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SILVER View Post
You are probably correct but I dont think you need wory about a mechanic with the mercadies chassis
Hmmmm ..... The mind is opening up once more to other possibilities.

I suppose with the Mercedes chassis I wouldn't need to worry about oil changes and routine things. Could get those things done at many shops or "Jiffy Lube" type places.

Mel

Tags
class c, motorhome