Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2020, 10:41 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Question What to do

We're getting old and decrepit so looking for an older RV to go the few times a year that we want to-no longer than 5-6 hours driving time. I've found a Class C, it's a 32' Triple E built on a 1992 E350 chassis with a tag axle and has only 112k km (about 65k miles). These were quite well built with foamed in place underbelly and fiberglass roof. It has the 460 and E40 transmission. Now my query- should I look at the tag axle as problematic, the E40 trans has ashift problem-it won't go into OD-he says local mechanic diagnosed it as a solenoid problem. Any input is welcome.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 10:56 AM   #2

Solenoid shouldn't cost much to replace - so why hasn't it been replaced if that's really the problem? I always run away from anything that is being offered for sale needing "minor repairs" (or any repairs for that matter unless I'm looking for a "project" and it's a near giveaway price). Maybe make an offer contingent on the seller fixing the transmission.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
I can somewhat empathize with the guy, he lives in a small town 3 hours from a major centre. The mechanics in his town don't want to touch it. Same as the mechanics in my small town-including the ford dealer. One of my main concerns is the tag axle- are they a problem to be concerned with or a welcome addition.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get a price on a remanufactured rod installed and deduct the amount from the negotiated price on the rig, 460's are known for cracked exhaust manifolds too. Otherwise pretty bulletproof rig. The tag axle should not be a problem, have a local shop check the wheel bearings and you should be good to go. As a side note, the 6.8L with the 4R100 trans came in around 1997, much more robust engine and trans , plus a 31 ft class c would not have a tag axle as the frames were longer. I hope this helps
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPASMURF View Post
I can somewhat empathize with the guy, he lives in a small town 3 hours from a major centre. The mechanics in his town don't want to touch it. Same as the mechanics in my small town-including the ford dealer. One of my main concerns is the tag axle- are they a problem to be concerned with or a welcome addition.
Even the Ford dealer won't fix it? Maybe it's just me but I see a big red flag. Like the mechanics know that this could be a bigger deal than replacing a solenoid. Might want to check pricing on a rebuilt transmission before taking the plunge.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:41 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
johninsd- You guessed right. I talked to a trans shop where all the hot rod boys go. He says with 117k km on it, he is willing to bet the OD clutches are fried, not a solenoid problem. As well he also stated 92 was a year of changes so that probably a lot of the hard parts would have to be changed to update/upgrade the old trans. About $4k all in at worst case. I think this one will be one to walk away from unless the owner is willing to donate it.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:51 AM   #7

There are plenty of old RVs out there - I think you've made the right call on this one - good luck with your search - keep us posted -
Old 02-15-2020, 07:46 PM   #8

Given the vintage I suspect there are a lot of other issues too, and ongoing upkeep would likely be substantial
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:12 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Also keep in mind that 460 injectors have a habit of getting gummed up if it has not run in over 18 months, it's just the nature of the beast, might be time to put the triple e on hold and look for something a little newer in your price range, you may have to travel, but decent class c's are out there.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:30 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Found a floor plan that I've never sen before. Winnebago 1995 34WQ with floor to ceiling side windows and an open L shape couch and a long table. Very unique. Of course on the other side of the country.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:09 PM   #11

Sometimes, you can look until you are blue in the face. Patience is the key. The right deal will come along. It can take time. Sorry couldn't help the blue face joke Papa smurf.