Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2020, 12:37 PM   #15

No, you can't take it to just any Ford Dealer. The majority will turn you away. Think of the number of Ford dealers in the entire, huge Phoenix metro area. Yet, there are only a couple of them that will even touch a Class C motorhome chassis.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2020, 11:37 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
Some of y'all need better For Dealers... Mine will work on em… I take my non Ford chassied Super C in there for service, no problem.
Does your dealer have high doors? Some WM/ Costco do have 1-Tall bay, but may do only battery, or only do tires IF YOU remove them from vehicle in the parking lot (they say their jack capacity only 3,000#); or they (may) do an OIL CHANGE/ BATTERY SERVICE?? WHAT HAS HE DONE FOR YOU? What city, what dealer? Does he SELL TRUCKS, too?
Old 06-29-2020, 05:00 AM   #17

If your looking for a Ford dealer or Chevy dealer to work on your class C you need to find a Medium truck dealer, not that easy to find, I live in Virginia and the only place I found was Terry Labonte Chevy in Greensboro NC that’s. 100 miles from me. I have to take mine there for some warranty work this week or next week. I also found that most independent truck centers can also help, the problem is the lift to get it on. I can get oil changes anywhere but not if they have to put it on a lift, that’s the whole problem.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:51 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Best bet is a Ford Truck dealer - they are equipped to work on a Class C.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #19

Even a truck dealer shop is a Crap shoot. If they want to, great! But they all don't want to.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:28 AM   #20

Cummins will work on gas motorhomes.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:36 AM   #21

The biggest issue is when I find someone willing to do an oil change on my Class C V10 is that they want $150 to do it. That’s using Motorcraft Semi synthetic oil and filter. I’ve gone back to doing it myself even though it’s hard for my old bod to crawl under my RV.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
The biggest issue is when I find someone willing to do an oil change on my Class C V10 is that they want $150 to do it. That’s using Motorcraft Semi synthetic oil and filter. I’ve gone back to doing it myself even though it’s hard for my old bod to crawl under my RV.
I recently had a mobile mechanic change my motorhome's Ford E450 engine oil and filter right in my backyard. He charged $60 labor to do it, as I had already purchased the oil and filter earlier.

He said he could do a lot of other maintenance and repair on the chassis right there, too.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #23

Quote:
think about it, that’s about $55 in parts and $95 in labor, about an hour of labor, seems about right to me based on what service places charge these days
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #24

The performance shop where I’ve been getting my service done did a great job on my suspension upgrades, front and rear sway bars, steering stabilizer, and 4 Bilsteins. Monday it goes to the tire shop for new Michelin Agilis CrossClimates and an alignment. I don’t know how I put a 1000 miles on this inner dually with a rock in the bead that still held air.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7108.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	291866
Old 07-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #25

Here is a list of Ford service centers in your area that do commercial work.

https://fordcommercialvehiclecenter.com
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
think about it, that’s about $55 in parts and $95 in labor, about an hour of labor, seems about right to me based on what service places charge these days
I got it done previously at a Grease Monkey for $59 including parts and labor. An oil change shouldn’t take an hour. Thinking about it, a 3X price isn’t reasonable to me. I can get the oil changed in my car just about anywhere for under $60 easily. The only complication an RV adds is getting it into the bay and maybe another quart of oil. I’ll continue to change it myself before I’ll pay $150.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #27

Quote:
I got it done previously at a Grease Monkey for $59 including parts and labor. An oil change shouldn’t take an hour. Thinking about it, a 3X price isn’t reasonable to me. I can get the oil changed in my car just about anywhere for under $60 easily. The only complication an RV adds is getting it into the bay and maybe another quart of oil. I’ll continue to change it myself before I’ll pay $150.
I doubt Grease Monkey gave you oem Motorcraft semi and filter for $59.
I’m not trying to argue, just thinking when I go to a Ford dealer, you check in with a service rep, they have someone drive it to a bay, empty the oil and filter, change with oem oil and filter, fill, plug, run it and see pressure, drive it out to lot, have you see a cashier......blah blah blah....I still think they spend about an hour of “their” time and $100 isn’t unreasonable. Do I go there? No, I doit myself to!
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:00 AM   #28

Unable to find Ford F53 Warranty Service in 2021?!

I've got a brand new 2021 F53 based Class A. It needs a couple of relatively minor warranty issues fixed (dash AC and brakes).

Going through the Ford commercial truck site, I called on SEVEN service shop/dealers within a two hour drive of Atlanta.

NONE of them could/would schedule the service for any time in the month of April, 2021.

The responses were generally: "We have a month-long back-up for service, call us next month and maybe we can fit you in," or, "We don't service motorhomes anymore."

Is this the new normal? You can't get warranty service -- or maybe any service at all on your F53 -- at a Ford dealer?

Even my "Plan B" service center is backed-up for a month!

What are you seeing?
Hermes2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, class c, service