Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2017, 07:29 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Orange View Post
We were thinking about a class C built on the Ford Transit. Which engine do you have ? I see Ford offers a I6 turbo diesel in the Transit chassis.
How do you like the Transit out on the highway ?
AC, my engine is a Ford Transit 350 w/ 3.2L I-5 Power Stroke Turbo Diesel 185 hp/350 ft-lb w/ 6 Speed Auto Trans. It drives great on the highway. This is my first experience with an RV, so I have no comparison, but I have no complaints. The engine has as much power as it needs to pull 10,000 lbs up a hill! And I'm getting an average of 18.6 mpg, so it's very efficient.

Good luck with your search.
Juno 2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #16

If I were downsizing to a 26-30', and could handle the reduced interior space I would most definitely get a sprinter, like a Winnie View or the new Tiffin one. I saw one of the Tiffin ones at our dealer, and it was very nice. I really wanted a sprinter for maneuverability, but we need more space and larger tanks.
wildeflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladu2 View Post
We bought a new Itasca Spirit 25B (same as Minnie Winnie 25B) last year. It's 26.5 ft. long. Drove it down from Alaska to Georgia in the fall and this winter toured Florida for 6 weeks in it. We have been very happy with it. Made a video tour of it while in Florida (pros, cons and mods) if you care to see it-
This is a really informative video.
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #18

I stared decades ago in tents used 5th wheels and BP TT. Age is catching up so we wanted a small RV without hooking up and disconnecting. At first we were going for a 30 bounder style like my father did. Then we noticed most streets and driveways with family would limit where we parked.

We did not want to dump $100k then be disappointed so we looked at rental sales. First the 28-31s and then 25-28 with a slide. Finally we settled on a 23 Four Winds. The size fits many parking lots and inside there is still enough room for the wife and I with our two hounds.

The biggest issue is what you need when on the road. We wanted a clean bed and food we could count on. When at camp I prefer to sit outside and not inside. I am yet to find any entry level RV with comfortable seating. Our lounge chairs are very comfy. A little heat is not that bad anyways. You meet more outside than inside anyways.

Next was how much home do we bring with us. Now the 5th wheel was 38 feet and I had a Dually pulling it so we had everything and then some extras too. Now we shop every 4-5 days while on the road so a lot of food is not needed. Tools and stuff also has become a small box. The entertainment is all on a wallet sized portable hard drive. the 23 footer worked well.

Inside we are removing the extra swivel chair. Bus stops are more comfy. The dinette is getting modified to a smaller table and lounge seating with more firm cushions so long term sitting is easier. The cab over space will have cabinets so we can move some weigh forward but not much as leaks are prone if too heavy. Clothing and medicine, paper plates and plastic silverware.......

Going big was just not what we wanted this time. We have an E350 chassis with some limitations but still rated for 14500. We can tow 5000 but will probably put a scooter on the rear bumper instead. At 23 foot we can take the MH shopping if need be.

Our biggest concern on our first trip this week was the banging and rattles inside. Suspension was very stiff and everything made noise. I will be looking into tire pressure, progressive springs and maybe an air suspension if needed. The 30 foot bounder was as quiet as a Limo. Our new ride is more like a Gypsy horse drawn tinker and wares ride. Nothing else matters until we get a comfy ride.

Hope this helps.
Gimpyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmade56 View Post
Good handling (used to air). Inverter, like the smell of the slow cooker without the genny running. Ford Chassis. Will be used weekends and driving Mich to AZ and back for winter season. We dry camp or stay at elks, VFW, etc when driving cross country. My toad is a chevy equilnox. Thanks for suggestions.
My vote is to stop focusing on the inverter and just plan to have that added. However that requirement also means you need to play attention to the number and type of house batteries which is a bigger issue to resolve.

And look for a brand that includes some quality upgrades to the rear suspension from the factory - e.g., Coachmen & Jayco. The E450 is a truck chassis, no matter what they say, & I can tell what the air pressure is in the Firestone Ride-Right airbag helper springs on my Coachmen just by driving a couple of miles - they make a remarkable difference.

You should also pay attention to the sidewall material - plywood, vs Azdel which doesn't absorb water and insulates better.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #20

X2 to what MWKingSD said
JONWisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #21

Thanks for all the continuing feedback. The DP hasn't sold yet but have much interest because it is priced right. Just folks have to sell theirs first. I'm patient. I agree with much that has been posted and Jayco/Coachman units have my interest. There are many out there to choose from. I will be towing my Chev Equilnox with invisibrake with whatever I end up with and yea, I'll miss the turbo on my 425 out west but wife and I want to explore small parks and get away from big resorts. Been doing them for 8 years and time for a change. Anyway, I appreciate all your comments.
usmade56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #22

Wish you well when you make a decision. Choose what feels good to your DW and you.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:52 PM   #23

We purchased a 2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS on a Ford E450 chassis w/ 6 spd trans. We love the rig. It has 2 slide outs, with dual recliners and a U dinette, a queen size bed, and plenty of room. The V-10 has plenty of power towing our 2015 Subaru Forester. The coach is 27' long and very easy to handle and drive and it really doesn't have a large overhang. We really like it has auto leveling jackets. Our previous rigs were diesel pusher A's; a 34' Journey and a 40' Itasca Horizon. We down sized as we stopped full-timing after 6 years and we didn't need the big bus but still wanted a nice rig to take trips with. We like the gas engine that is less costly to maintain and the gas is much cheaper than diesel fuel. We really love it.
Jackhal1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:12 PM   #24

Done Deal

Well folks, here it is. Sold the DP and after looking online and a few dealers all summer we chose a 2018 Jayco Redhawk 26ds. Had slide awnings, extra house battery (for the 1000 watt inverter) and sat dish included in the deal. Coach suspension (J ride) as standard equipment was also attractive. I put on air tabs and I'm now ready for the winds out west. 28 foot with 2 slides and a floor plan with enough counter space to satisfy the boss. Pulled my equinox home from the dealer, it drove nicely at 65. It is not my previous 425 cummins but much better driving than 07 pace arrow I had before the DP.
Anyway, looking forward to stopping at small neat places I passed in the big rig. Happy Motoring and thanks again for your input.
usmade56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:45 PM   #25

One thing is that they are smaller and much easier to get around.

We now have a Four Winds 24 Foot 2017 model with a slide in the bedroom. The only thing I miss is a couch in the living room. We only have a dinette table.

1. Coach is much easier to maintain. 6 Quarts of oil every 5,000 miles.

2. Much easier to park in the RV parks.

3. Much cheaper to buy.

4. With our Class A we took way more than we needed.

5. The good thing is that we sit outside a lot under the awning and watch tv outside which is good.

6. There is no perfect RV but this one has worked out great for us.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #26
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
OP, great choice for you!

Have fun out there!
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #27

I did the same, downsizing from a 34ft Itasca A to a 26ft Safari C. I loved my A but I drove it like a sports car apparently. My wife is much happier with the C but still thinks I drive crazy!
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote