RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Which Michelin for Class C

I am replacing my current Michelin M/S2 tires on my 31 foot Class C. The tire size is LT 225/75R16. My questions is which tire to go with since the M/S2 is no longer available. I am interested in your experience with the actual tires I am listing. Once I tried another tire and had them replaced after one trip so I am only interested in Michelin tires. The three styles I am considering are: LTX A/T2, XPS Rib, and Agilis CrossClimate. The Rib tires are steel belted so my concern here is ride and handling.
Thank you for your help.

tiogaearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #2

Firestones!

A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:53 PM   #3

I put a pair of the CrossClimates on the front of my MBS Prism and they seem decent so far - only about 3500 miles on them though. They replaced the Vanco's.
AudiDudi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:39 PM   #4

The Michelin LTX A/T2 is a light truck tire and not suitable for any Class C MH. If you are only going to consider Michelin then the XPS Rib and Agilis CrossClimate are your only options. From what I have gathered from others the XPS Rib is a very rough-riding tire but is an excellent choice if you are planning to only travel on the Interstates. XPS Rib is not an M/S (mud/snow) rated tire but is said to be excellent in the rain.

I have the last of the Michelin Defender LTX on mine since I frequently go off-pavement and my rig weighs less than yours. If I had a 30+ foot Class C, didn't want to go off-pavement, and wanted to go with Michelin I would probably go with the Agilis CrossClimate up front and the XPS Rib in back.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:57 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
tiogaearl-

Our former Class C had the Michelin XPS Rib. I had nothing with which to compare it, so can't comment on relative ride quality, noise, etc..

On a different topic, you should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:49 PM   #6

Hi tiogaearl,

I heard you loud and clear that you are limiting yourself to Michelin tires and that "Ride & Handling" are a high priority.

You did say your rig is 31 feet long. The length implies your rig is a heavy one, especially if you have multiple slide outs and also a family. I advise to find out what your rig weighs when on a trip. Weigh the front and rear tires independently of each other. Compare your actual load per tire to the load range the tire is designed for.

Many people don't realize they are over-loading their tires, Michelin tires included. Over-loading and improper PSI are two of three major factors for tire blow-outs. The 3rd factor is the condition of the tire.

If you learn that you are over-loading your tires, I advise to consider buying tires rated to handle more weight. There are a few brands out there. CLICK HERE to see one such example. Each individual tire handles 500 to 600 "EXTRA" pounds at 83 PSI. I am not promoting the Nexen brand. I provided it only as an example of what else is available.

Understand that as a general rule, the more capable the tire, the thicker the side walls, the more PSI you add, the rougher the ride will become. So if going the safe route with tires, you might also consider Koni-FSD shocks to help counter-act the rougher ride.

This is only my personal opinion, I am no expert on this subject.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
Hi tiogaearl,

I advise to find out what your rig weighs when on a trip.

Each individual tire handles 500 to 600 "EXTRA" pounds at 83 PSI.
That would be 515 pounds more each than either Michelin to be exact. That additional tire load capacity might even exceed the max rear chassis load spec. Get it weighed!
Old 06-04-2020, 12:41 AM   #8

We bought the Michelin Anglis Cross-Climate tires for our Class C one month ago, so far I am really happy with them.

They are the replacements for the Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 that we had. The ride seems similar. I think the new tires have a slightly better traction rating for winter conditions.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:47 AM   #9

Cool Agilis Cross Climates

I recently replaced my three oldest, 5.5 years old one of which grenaded in a disastrous blowout, M/S2's with the Agilis Cross Climates and have been very happy with them. They were $250 a piece OTD.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:04 AM   #10

We put on a set of Agilis CrossClimate last year and have put about 4000 miles on them so far. I used their load chart to set pressures and they have provided good overall ride and performance.

Gary
funtwodrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #11

I put the Michelin XPS Rib on mine and it improved handling a bit, but definitely feel a few of the bumps a bit more. Work great in the rain, but recommended not to take them in mud/snow. I got a front tire in the mud at a campsite once, tapped the brakes and it just slid. Would definitely not want to get the drive tires in the mud.

Edit: Also the tire place told me to keep them at max PSI rating for the tire on my rig.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #12

Thumbs up Tires ?

Just my opinion, but on our '07 Jayco Seneca we had 5 year old Michelins that were cracked all round the logos on the sidewall. Stored inside the garage and out of the sun for 8 mounts of the year. Still had a LOT of tread, but my local tire shop took one look and said that they would not even balance them.
Bought a set of "Sailun" tires, installed balance beads and never looked back. They are quiet and VERY good in a driving rain.
Two trips to Florida from Denver so far this year and the hood does not bounce a bit.......
Cannot say enough for these new shoes.

Mike in Colorado
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #13

Exclamation

Im looking hard at XPS Rib as I just blew on up on the Jayco 31 DRW.

but I also just saw this with more load rating

https://youtu.be/GRv0IIAv6j8
Paradiddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
Hi tiogaearl,

I heard you loud and clear that you are limiting yourself to Michelin tires and that "Ride & Handling" are a high priority.

You did say your rig is 31 feet long. The length implies your rig is a heavy one, especially if you have multiple slide outs and also a family. I advise to find out what your rig weighs when on a trip. Weigh the front and rear tires independently of each other. Compare your actual load per tire to the load range the tire is designed for.

Many people don't realize they are over-loading their tires, Michelin tires included. Over-loading and improper PSI are two of three major factors for tire blow-outs. The 3rd factor is the condition of the tire.

If you learn that you are over-loading your tires, I advise to consider buying tires rated to handle more weight. There are a few brands out there. CLICK HERE to see one such example. Each individual tire handles 500 to 600 "EXTRA" pounds at 83 PSI. I am not promoting the Nexen brand. I provided it only as an example of what else is available.

Understand that as a general rule, the more capable the tire, the thicker the side walls, the more PSI you add, the rougher the ride will become. So if going the safe route with tires, you might also consider Koni-FSD shocks to help counter-act the rougher ride.

This is only my personal opinion, I am no expert on this subject.

I saw another 225/75R16C on a Youtube channel 121 load rating

approx 3k load per tire vs 2.6K

https://youtu.be/GRv0IIAv6j8

Paradiddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, michelin