Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2020, 05:25 PM   #15

Check out Dynamax. You can get a 30 foot RV built on the RAM 5500 chassis with a Cummins diesel. Not too much bigger than a Sprinter, more room, still a diesel and not a Ford V10, even though they are a good solid motor.

Probably lower cost than a Sprinter as well and good space without being too big.

https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/class-c-...ta-5/28SS/4940
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2020, 06:47 PM   #16

Who is full-time in a small C (View/Wayfarer/Isata)?

Closest I have been to fulltime RVing is 25 months camping all over the US out of a 1973 Volvo Wagon with my girlfriend at the time. We managed to live quite happily with a 6 x 10 tent, a coleman stove and a cooler. Our worldly possessions other than our guitars and photography equipment stayed in a storage locker.
My wife and I travel in a 23’ Winnebago Class A motorhome. 4-6” wider than your typical Sprinter based RV. What we carry for two weeks is what we carry for two months and is likely what we would carry for 2 years. We easily stock enough food for 7-10 days. Our refrigerator is only 5 cubic feet. We don’t use much dairy, opting instead for Almond and Soy milks.We buy them in shelf stable packaging so that leaves a lot of fridge space for other perishable foods.

Getting around without a towed is no problem. We are the same size as a Fedex or UPS delivery truck. They go everywhere and so do we.

Breaking camp to travel for the day is less than 10 minutes. I have the water hose on a quick release fitting. The electric cord quickly coils up into its compartment. The awning retracts with the flick of a lever. We don’t hook into the sewer when camped for longer terms, Instead we let the waste tank fill for 2 -3 days and then empty it.

As for storage if it don’t fit we don’t bring it or buy it. That said my wife brings her 76 key piano and recently a 20” weaving loom. I bring a guitar and two bags of camera gear. We bring 10 days of clothing and linens.

Another benefit has been going to campgrounds that are otherwise full for RV’s but may have smaller spaces available the larger RV’s can’t fit into.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:04 PM   #17

Full Timing

The comment about Fords and they have to be worked on more often was quite strange since the issues with the Ford based chassis are more often then not based on handling, not the V-10 engine, which is going by the wayside eventually for the 7.3 V-8 pushrod engine. I have read many, many engine problems with the MB Sprinter however.

We almost bought a 2016 Winnebago View because of the MB diesel (brand new). I drove it and hated how it drove for many reasons. Ended up buying a brand new Thor Axis 24.1 which we never had an engine problem with but did modifications to the suspension to make it drive comfortably. By the way, there are many suspension companies that have entire rebuilds for the MB chassis so that it too drives more comfortably.

I look at it this way. If you want to full time it in a Class C MB chassis, go for it. Just try to be honest with yourself as to the issue if you will actually be happy with it or are you doing it for some other reason. We paid a bit less than half for the Axis rather than the Winny View and are glad we did. We no longer own it, by the by, because we decided it was a bit too small and we are not full timers. Good luck with your choice.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:57 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
We started off with an Isata 3 (24ft) and found that after two trips (we are on the road for 4+ months a couple of times a year) that it was too small for full time living for us. There was no comfortable "hang" out space, not much storage and at first thought we did not need a TOAD. 4 months later we had a toad and 18 in we had a 40 ft. DP. Much happier now.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
What I described and recommend that you take a look at are the shorter versions of Class C motorhomes like these - especilly note that 22M's large tanks, great rear bed, and availability on the heavy duty E450 chassis:
https://www.winnebago.com/models/product/spirit
Thank, Phil. I did look at those. Always comes down to personal preferences, but I want reclining seats instead of dinettes, and seems crowded with a small bath compared to the View and Wayfarer I'm considering. When the Murphy bed is up they are quite roomy. (View doesn't have recliners at present.)

However, the Ford chassis is an advantage to some with it's better OCCC and availability of service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	View.PNG
Views:	88
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	277028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wayfarer.PNG
Views:	77
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	277029  

shassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar2856 View Post
Check out Dynamax. You can get a 30 foot RV built on the RAM 5500 chassis with a Cummins diesel. Not too much bigger than a Sprinter, more room, still a diesel and not a Ford V10, even though they are a good solid motor.

Probably lower cost than a Sprinter as well and good space without being too big.

https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/class-c-...ta-5/28SS/4940
Thanks, John. I had considered Isata 3's, never looked at a 5. I got away from the 3 when I realized the Murphy bed in the View and Wayfarer gave a lot more living space and larger bath. I think that may be true of the 5 as well. Despite their smaller length, the View and Wayfarer seem to use the space better.

But the 5 certainly can carry a lot more cargo! Five or six feet longer, however. Don't think I want that, or that my wife will drive it.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:04 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl II View Post
The comment about Fords and they have to be worked on more often was quite strange since the issues with the Ford based chassis are more often then not based on handling, not the V-10 engine, which is going by the wayside eventually for the 7.3 V-8 pushrod engine. I have read many, many engine problems with the MB Sprinter however.

We almost bought a 2016 Winnebago View because of the MB diesel (brand new). I drove it and hated how it drove for many reasons. Ended up buying a brand new Thor Axis 24.1 which we never had an engine problem with but did modifications to the suspension to make it drive comfortably. By the way, there are many suspension companies that have entire rebuilds for the MB chassis so that it too drives more comfortably.

I look at it this way. If you want to full time it in a Class C MB chassis, go for it. Just try to be honest with yourself as to the issue if you will actually be happy with it or are you doing it for some other reason. We paid a bit less than half for the Axis rather than the Winny View and are glad we did. We no longer own it, by the by, because we decided it was a bit too small and we are not full timers. Good luck with your choice.
Thanks, Earl. That's what I love about the internet. No shortage of opinions! People sharing their personal experiences is very helpful, but I wish I could get hard numbers.

My experience has been different, as has been my assessment of driveability. When I drove a couple C's on a Ford (E350, I think?) it reminded my of my old Club Wagon; loud, bulky, sluggish, hot doghouse with limited legroom, had to be nimble to step back from the cabin to the coach. Sprinter ride was a smooth SUV by comparison, and quite roomy.

Preferred ride is a subjective opinion, however. Hard facts are the better cargo capacity of the Ford's and availability of service. That does keep me thinking and researching long and hard.

Oh, I did look at the Thor Axis. Thought the floor plan was crowded.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:35 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
We started off with an Isata 3 (24ft) and found that after two trips (we are on the road for 4+ months a couple of times a year) that it was too small for full time living for us. There was no comfortable "hang" out space, not much storage and at first thought we did not need a TOAD. 4 months later we had a toad and 18 in we had a 40 ft. DP. Much happier now.
Thanks for the input. I've seen many people up-size like you did, and many go the other way too. Personal preference abound. Guess we don't always like what we think we will like. Wish I could have a five minute chat with my future self.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:26 PM   #23

Who is full-time in a small C (View/Wayfarer/Isata)?

We have a 24 foot Sunseeker Forest River on Sprinter base with a wide slide. It does fit our travel style and when you are in a park you often get assigned to the edges instead of in the middle of the park. We wake up looking into the forest or the ocean more often than not.

Right now I’m sick of it however. So hard to level! If the ground isn’t really hard, the big slide causes it to sink on that side. We try to allow for it and we are better at it now. But I hate sleeping head down. And weight limitations don’t allow for adding levelers later.

We are both sick of the dinette. No kitchen counter to speak of.

We do have a tow car because we have 2 kayaks and 2 bicycles.

I don’t think it’s so easy to set up and tear down but we see people doing that all the time. I would just unhook and go, my husband wants to pack the electrical cord and one thing leads to another.

We have been in it 2 years and are thinking sell it all next spring and do something else. It’s so small, boondocking is easy. However the tanks are very small too. I’m more willing to work around it, we have a solar panel and an extra propane tank. My husband likes full hookups.

I do not want to be that lady that wears T-shirts and hiking pants all the time and I just don’t have room or weight allowance for any extras. My husband would like more tools.

We don’t have weight allowance for much at all. You can only have about 900-1000lbs on board. Together, we’re 310lbs. Do the math, it’s daunting.

It’s been really fun, I’m glad we’re doing it. Everything is a trade off. We’ll see.
nancybninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancybninja View Post
We have a 24 foot Sunseeker Forest River on Sprinter base with a wide slide. It does fit our travel style and when you are in a park you often get assigned to the edges instead of in the middle of the park. We wake up looking into the forest or the ocean more often than not.

Right now I’m sick of it however. So hard to level! If the ground isn’t really hard, the big slide causes it to sink on that side. We try to allow for it and we are better at it now. But I hate sleeping head down. And weight limitations don’t allow for adding levelers later.

We are both sick of the dinette. No kitchen counter to speak of.

We do have a tow car because we have 2 kayaks and 2 bicycles.

I don’t think it’s so easy to set up and tear down but we see people doing that all the time. I would just unhook and go, my husband wants to pack the electrical cord and one thing leads to another.

We have been in it 2 years and are thinking sell it all next spring and do something else. It’s so small, boondocking is easy. However the tanks are very small too. I’m more willing to work around it, we have a solar panel and an extra propane tank. My husband likes full hookups.

I do not want to be that lady that wears T-shirts and hiking pants all the time and I just don’t have room or weight allowance for any extras. My husband would like more tools.

We don’t have weight allowance for much at all. You can only have about 900-1000lbs on board. Together, we’re 310lbs. Do the math, it’s daunting.

It’s been really fun, I’m glad we’re doing it. Everything is a trade off. We’ll see.
Thanks, nancybninja. That's the kind of feedback I was looking for from people living it.

I think I'd get something a tad bigger. My leading candidate is a Wayfarer 25RW. It has a very similar layout, but seems to use the space better. Only one foot longer, but it has a Murphy bed which makes the living area, bathroom, and interior storage much better. I don't like dinettes either. Will do the theater seats. OCCC has improved, and even with auto-levelers I expect about 900 lbs which is still a tight squeeze! We are kind of t-shirt folk so I think we can pull it off. I do want a rack for two bikes, which will eat up precious OCCC.

I had never heard about one side sinking due to the slide, however. That's something to think about. We'd likely only boondock one or two days at a time, so I think we'll be OK with small tanks. Not planning a tow car. Mostly want to be nimble visiting grandkids and the sights along the way.

Sound doable?
Old 03-07-2020, 11:17 PM   #25

That looks very nice. Probably any brand is better than ours. We just loved the small size with the big room. And diesel. It’s easy to drive. The extra foot looks like more interior storage (a closet!) and good layout for the bathroom. One air conditioner will cool that easily.
Some 30ft MHs are 30 amp and one air conditioner, it’s not enough at all, according to the owners.

I looked at aftermarket levelers. They add 138lbs I think. We just can’t do it. The sinking happens in a place like Jasper National Park our in the woods with no gravel or any kind of pad. Not so much at the average RV park. Another thing I want that we don’t have weight room for is a gas fire pit w lava rocks. Fires take too long, we’re not back home early enough or don’t stay up late enough. But I still like them.

There is a Kuat bike carrier that is aluminum and it’s lighter. There is one, Swagman, looks very light but seems flimsy, bounces around alarmingly.

We can boondock very easily for 3 nights. The gray water tank needs to be larger, black tank smaller. That would help. I LOVE being out “roughing” it. Ha. My husband, not so much.

We have found an Instant Pot to be very useful, and worth the space. I plug it in outside and cook on the picnic table. With that, the convection oven/microwave, and grill, we can cook most anything we want, hardly use the stove.
The over head area is our attic, we find the bed in it very comfortable.

We’ve had a ton of fun, I just don’t know how long I can love doing this. I think 3 years will be long enough. I like real books, more clothes, my sewing machine, a little more stuff.

Anyway, it sounds like y’all have a better idea of what you’re getting into. We were total noobs. You can always get a tow setup later if you change your mind, that’s easy.
Good luck and have fun!
nancybninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:40 AM   #26

Thanks for the tips!
Old 03-08-2020, 05:48 AM   #27

Repeating from another thread, Enjoyed this recent YouTube about the pros and cons of big vs small, especially the intro reviewing the many YouTubers changing rigs, some upsizing while others downsize.

https://youtu.be/YScSi3mjauE
Old 03-08-2020, 08:59 AM   #28

Good luck with your choice. We full timed in a 45’ DP. When it was time to downsize we looked hard at the 24’ rigs. Biggest issue is the lack of storage space and very small tanks. Even though it sounds like you do not want to tow plan on it in the future so you take into consideration the hit on the ccc when and if it gets added. Not surprised by the few responses of actual people doing what you proposed to do. In 4 years of full timing we saw lots of people doing it in class C’c but not one in a B or 24’ diesel C.

Enjoy the journey