Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2006, 04:26 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Jim2e,
Lots of truth to what you say. We're not retired, but have had a gas Class A, and now a very nice diesel pusher. But it's very expensive to maintain, insure, license, etc. Sure, it's beautiful inside, and very nice to drive, but that's not what my wife and think camping should be like. We're about to downsize to a C and enjoy the experience of being there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2006, 04:57 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We're talking alot about personal preferences here. And what works well for us today may or may not tomorrow. I've had a C and now own an A. I think those that think a C is easier to drive are right - for themselves. I think my A is easier to drive than our C was. With the A I can see the front corners top and bottom, on our C I was always wondering where the roof corners were since I couldn't see them easily. And remember that the C is only narrower in the cab, the cabover bed area and the house area are wider than the cab area and with the new C's, are just as wide as the A's. As for front accident protection, I sit up higher in the A and has anyone seen how stout the frame of the workhorse chassis are? I think anything I may hit that would be smaller than me- which is almost everything on the road other than semis and other motorhomes is going to suffer a world of hurt! And the best way to keep from getting hurt in an accident, whether you're in a C or an A, is to avoid having one! Lastly your right that normally you can sleep more people in a C than an A, we could sleep 6 in our C, when friends and relatives have asked my wife how many people our A can sleep she doesn't hesitate to say - 2 - my husband and I!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:53 AM   #17

Two questions.
1. What units/manufacturers use the diesel? Either Ford or Cummins.
2. What units/manufacturers have the cab overhead built as the entertainment center?

Since it will be just the wife and I; we have no need for the "overhead" sleeper.

Thanks
Chet
Old 02-26-2006, 03:01 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CyberVet65:
Two questions.
1. What units/manufacturers use the diesel? Either Ford or Cummins.

I don't know what is available, but Jayco has a Class C diesel. GVWR is 22,000, I believe. I believe it uses a Chevy powerplant. And there are a number of manufacturers using the van chassis (I think it's called Sprinter) which is very small and powered by a Mercedes diesel. They claim 14-18 mpg, but the units are pretty small.

2. What units/manufacturers have the cab overhead built as the entertainment center?

Almost all of the class C's have an entertainment center as an option. Most of the ones we saw at a recent RV show ere equipped that way.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:51 AM   #19

I have never owned a class A. Yet for the size that I prefer in a MH, the class C was the right choice. It has a stove, bathroom, closet, and a "true" queen size bed. The best plus to a class C is when you need to replace a mechanical part, you do not need to head to the RV dealer to get it, the local parts store usually has it. Just recently I was in need of a radiator and the local auto salvage yard happened to have a van with the part I needed. Wouldn't have found a radiator for a class A at the local salvage yards in my area. Helps me keep the costs down so I can afford to fill the gas tank.

I plan on remodeling mine very soon and like the idea of doing a conversion with that unused overhead bunk and turning it into an entertainment center.

Matt

Solar Equipped for dry camping
TheWetFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:32 PM   #20

Between the two of us we have owned 6 type A's prior to downsizing to our Jayco C, the last being a beautiful 38' Mountain Aire. We found that as wonderful as it was, we were getting very little use out of it.

There were so many places we couldn't stop at because of it's size. Most state and national parks were risky- don't want to risk scratching that beautiful full paint, ya know.

Driveability was fine in the A, but my mate was uncomfortable behind the wheel. We drove a C and were immediately sold. It really does feel more car-like, more responsive, more familiar. Most of the previous driveability comments apply as far as we're concerned.

And let's admit it, there is a certain preceived loss of prestige when 'going down.' Well, that's fine with us... maybe us folks with our C's know something the others don't.

The bottom line is, while it may not work for many, downsizing to the C was the perfect solution for us.
If interested, come visit us in the iRV2 Chatters chat room. We're there just about every evening from about 8:30pm eastern until about 10:00pm. It's a great bunch of folks!

Skip- Kerrville, TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
While a lot of you are 'downsizing' to a class c, I am proudly 'upsizing' to a class c from a TT.
We really like looking at the A's but, with 3 kids, a C is a much better fit both in terms of sleeping capacity and finances.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:35 AM   #22

I have had both. A 24 1/2' class C and a 33' class A. The Class A handles much better in the wind. Living in CO, we have lots of wind and I can tell you, driving the class C was nerve wracking. I had all the goodies to make the handling better, but the Class A is a dream to drive in windy conditions compared to the Class C. I can only assume that the larger Class C you drive, the worse it would be.

That being said, the class C is great for families. Sleeping accommodations are much better.

The Class C does have limited storage in most cases, so you will have to be creative.

My two cents.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:23 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I have had a class A, class C, several truck campers,and a 29' 5th wheel. I enjoyed all at the time I had them. Presently I have a class C with no slides. It works perfectly for me NOW. If I were living in it I would look next for a class A with slides.

For me, the class C is the easiest to drive (and my current class C is 4' longer than my class A).
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #24

Better viability with the Concord 300TS, the overhead bunk is omitted, entertainment center instead.
Mike & Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:36 AM   #25

Although our "C" is the only motorhome we have ever owned - the interior layout, fact that both adults would drive it, sleeping capacity, maitenance costs, and accessibility to most campgrounds were several of the reasons we chose a C. We love it!
alice462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:04 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mike & Rose welcome to irv2.
Thanks for joining in look forward to more posts enjoy and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:08 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
alice462 welcome to irv2.
Alot of us start out with a class "C" to get our feet wet but later on will like some more room. The "C"'s have come along way in providing extra room with slides also.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:23 PM   #28

We're on our way "up" too! We're about to buy a Winnebago 31C with the Chevy/Workhorse chassis. It seems to drive much more solidly and quietly then the same model with the E450 chassis.

We're on the fast track, having gone from a tent, to a pop-up, to the new Class C in about 2 years. Price was the main thing, but the overhead bunk for the kids is much easier than making up the couch each night for them, as we would in a Class A. The wife and I will be in the back in our own room, while the kids are giggling up front all night!

Once the kids are out of the nest, it'll be time to "fulltime" in a big 'ole pusher!

Ended up going with an E450 chassis instead for it's towing capacity. Hope it will handle well!
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote