Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2019, 06:31 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Tough one. Imo. I think it is time.. the v10 was a bit better than the 460.. maybe it was wonderful to some ..
Personally I turned away early v10 when choosing my used . Economy rv.. the 460. 4 speed has its issues. Manifolds. Trans woes. But the v10 is not shy on manifold bolts etc. Spark plug issues etc.

Each his own

The new v8.. should be a good motors. Back to basics. But smaller footprint. Technology. Makes power . Now if they tuned for mpg.. will it be great .....doubt it.. i hope it is in the 10 to 12 range on open road in a 15-20k gvw. RV
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2019, 06:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
I never think about "value", especially as regards resale. We buy what we like and generally use it up. Our first motorhome was about 20 years old when we gave it away. The last one was almost 30 when we gave it to a homeless vet and family 2 years ago. My last truck was 18, my wife's 4runner 20.
You and I have something in common.

We bought THIS MOTOR HOME brand new in 1983 for $12,225 when we became parents at age 25. We owned it for 24 years, making a change to meet our needs in our later years. We replaced it a few months later in 2007 with another brand new one for $67,250 SEEN HERE, which we have today. Both rigs were custom ordered, made (to a degree) to our specifications. Our plan is to sell this one when we are too old and dangerous to drive it. If our plan can be carried through, that would be two motor homes from age 25 to age 85+ or 60+ years. Having them in a semi-climate-controlled garage is "key" to owning them for so long without them eating us alive in repair costs.

We sold that first motor home in 2007 for $7,600 so we did real good owning it for 24 years, yet loosing only $4,775. Percentage wise, that likely won't be the case with our second rig, but it really doesn't matter.

So for us, what is critical is that the rig works for us, and be trustworthy through the years with reasonable maintenance and repair costs. In both cases, a 1983 Toyota C&C and a 2007 E350-V10, they are excellent platforms to meet the challenge along the way to our finish line.

There is always going to be something better found along the way. But we resist temptation quite well. We count our blessings with what we have.

BTW: Merry Christmas today to all the Christians here, and Happy Hanukkah to the Jewish people here too. We are Christian and celebrate this Holy Day with all people, regardless of their faith of lack there-of. Have a great celebration today.

Now that I finished my early morning cup of coffee, I have to get back to cleaning the kitchen from last night's celebration with our children and grand children, and help my DW with today's coming guests. The last dish washer load should be just about done.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:09 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
You and I have something in common.

We bought THIS MOTOR HOME brand new in 1983 for $12,225 when we became parents at age 25. We owned it for 24 years, making a change to meet our needs in our later years. We replaced it a few months later in 2007 with another brand new one for $67,250 SEEN HERE, which we have today. Both rigs were custom ordered, made (to a degree) to our specifications. Our plan is to sell this one when we are too old and dangerous to drive it. If our plan can be carried through, that would be two motor homes from age 25 to age 85+ or 60+ years. Having them in a semi-climate-controlled garage is "key" to owning them for so long without them eating us alive in repair costs.

We sold that first motor home in 2007 for $7,600 so we did real good owning it for 24 years, yet loosing only $4,775. Percentage wise, that likely won't be the case with our second rig, but it really doesn't matter.

So for us, what is critical is that the rig works for us, and be trustworthy through the years with reasonable maintenance and repair costs. In both cases, a 1983 Toyota C&C and a 2007 E350-V10, they are excellent platforms to meet the challenge along the way to our finish line.

There is always going to be something better found along the way. But we resist temptation quite well. We count our blessings with what we have.

BTW: Merry Christmas today to all the Christians here, and Happy Hanukkah to the Jewish people here too. We are Christian and celebrate this Holy Day with all people, regardless of their faith of lack there-of. Have a great celebration today.

Now that I finished my early morning cup of coffee, I have to get back to cleaning the kitchen from last night's celebration with our children and grand children, and help my DW with today's coming guests. The last dish washer load should be just about done.
Really Nice Post! Merry, Merry and Happy, Happy - To All!! Art and Linda
Old 12-25-2019, 03:11 PM   #32

Help only help the value, when Ford discontinued the engine it became one of the hottest engines in the country..Still is actually
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Hmmm ... it seems like the comments above regarding the 350 HP/468 lb.-ft torque version are only mentioning F-Series trucks ... with no mention of the E-Series van chassis.
In this paragraph, it lumps the E series with the de-tuned version of the 7.3. As mentioned in an earlier post, I'm also guessing that the F-250 and F-350 are the only ones getting the higher HP version. if so, that is a bummer.

A dyno-certified version of the 7.3-liter V8 producing 350 horsepower at 3,900 rpm and 468 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,900 rpm will be standard on F-450 chassis cab, F-550, the new F-600, F-650 and F-750 Medium Duty trucks, and F-53 and F-59 stripped chassis models. [COLOR="Red"]The upgraded E-Series will also feature the 7.3-liter V8. [/COLOR]An optional calibration intended to help customers reduce their fuel consumption will also be offered; more information will be made available at a later date.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:32 AM   #34

The major key with the new engine is also the transmission. They intend to keep the engine in its power band for acceleration from starts and hill climbing. Gross figures for hp and torque are just for comparison. By utitilizing the torque curve and gear ratios should help in MPG.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:05 PM   #35

Nope

No, the new engine won't have any effect on the value of a used unit. That will still be determined by the local market and most importantly, condition.
xrcris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrcris View Post
No, the new engine won't have any effect on the value of a used unit. That will still be determined by the local market and most importantly, condition.
I agree with you. There is so much more value in the condition of the house and chassis over which gasoline engine it has. Emphasizing that the 6.8L-V10 has such a great reputation and also it's popularity, the replacement 7.3L-V8 engine isn't going to impact the value. Also consider that it takes just one Ford "oops" with the new 7.3L to flip "value" to strongly favor the V10. Fast forward 10-12 years from now, the 7.3L will be the engine of choice, but who here with a 10-12 year old rig will be worried over resale value then?

Again, I project the rig's condition will much more strongly influence it's resale value compared to whether it has the proven 6.8L-V10 or the initial release 7.3L-V8.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:03 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadyacht View Post
I would like to hear from the members what they think about the Ford V10 motor being discontinued.
To answer the question in the subject line - ultimately it will make near-zero difference when it's time to sell your V10 powered RV.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:14 PM   #38

Assuming you're looking at similar used motorhomes, size, shape, weight, mileage, and their year of manufacture are close, you might see people look at the performance and fuel economy specs as the factor that decides which one they'd choose.
If the V8 produces similar performance numbers to the V10, and saves even 1 mpg doing it, it will probably sell before the V10 unit, all other factors being roughly equal. That's a lot of fuel savings over thousands of future miles.
I know I'd choose that extra mpg.
Parts and service may be cheaper, based on 2 fewer cylinders. 2 less spark plugs, 2 less ignition wires, 6 (or 4) fewer valves, possibly lighter weight, smaller footprint inside the engine compartment (the 3V V10 doesn't fit in some cab chassis), could all add up to the V10 being less attractive to used MH buyers.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
No, on value loss. V-10's are bulletproof, and everyone knows it

It might just turn out that the replacement motor is a turkey. Then the V-10's will be more valuable.

I'm not sold on the idea that the smaller & turbo trend for power plants a good idea. They seem to be running hotter , under a load, and.. for sure they are not the carefree workhorse the big V-10 V-8's are.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:37 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
If the V8 produces similar performance numbers to the V10, and saves even 1 mpg doing it, it will probably sell before the V10 unit, all other factors being roughly equal. That's a lot of fuel savings over thousands of future miles.
I know I'd choose that extra mpg.
Given everything else equal, I agree with you. One MPG is at least 10%.

Back in the day in 2007, our Phoenix Cruiser on an E350 was getting 10% better MPG than one on the E450. The influential factors were...
- the extra weight of the longer E450 models
- the different gear ratio in the rear differential

An extra additional 10% would be awesome. Our 2007 E350 Phoenix Cruiser (when not towing) averages 10.5 MPG on trips. An extra 10% would increase it to over 11.5 MPG.

Another way of looking at it is that your fuel tank increases it's size by 10%, but costs the same to fill it up.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:54 PM   #41

We bought a new 2019 Forester class C. Now have 14k on it with 0 issues. We like ours downshifting doesn't bother us and isn't that noisy to us. Doesn't bother us in the least. V 10 is a great motor
Stevemarshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:28 PM   #42

Won't hurt anyone. The V-10 is a proven, dependable engine even when abused. No worries
dans1999f-53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e450, ford, v10