Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2021, 06:12 PM   #1

Winnebago Ekko vs LTV Wonder AWD

Hi,

Doing my new rig research and like the idea of a AWD transit for year round use.

I have spent a lot of time researching both rigs (and others) but would like the collective wisdom of this group.

Still 10.years from retirement so it will be for 4-6 multi week trips and 8-10 3-4 night trips. I am 18 months out from looking to buy so that means putting a deposit down soon.

It basically will be our second home. Currently have a 38ft class A gas pusher towing a 4 door Wrangler.

I love the Ekko for its winter and battery capability but the living space and quality of the LTV is really nice.

We live in Michigan and do.lots of winter stuff so I am leaning towards the Ekko.

What do folks think?

Have not had chance to see either yet.

Not sure yet if we plan to have a toad but current one is a 2012 Jeep Wrangler which will need replacing if we do decide to tow.

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2021, 05:18 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
I don't know much about the Winnie, however, the Wonder is really nice! I heard the Winnie is made for real boondocking and off the beaten path type camping. The features you mention also make it sound more for winter use than the LTV.
For me and my situation, I would go for the LTV as it's going to be tough to beat the quality, fit, and finish.
Neither are cheap so make sure you do your homework!

Personally, if I was buying new, it would be LTV without hesitation, given how so many people are reporting so many problems with new rigs.

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2021, 06:53 PM   #3

That Wonder really is bordering on spectacular. Everything a couple could want in a compact RV that can go just about anywhere drycamping other than on hard core jeep trails.

But boy ... is it pricey!!!
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:39 AM   #4

I prefer the Wonder also as the rear Lounge floor plan is spectacular..offers nearly as much useable space as out class A due to the Murphy bed.

Also the cassette toilet in the Ekko is a big no for me.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
I prefer the Wonder also as the rear Lounge floor plan is spectacular..offers nearly as much useable space as out class A due to the Murphy bed.

Also the cassette toilet in the Ekko is a big no for me.
I don't know much about cassette toilets. Why is it a no-go for you?
Old 10-24-2021, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
I don't know much about cassette toilets. Why is it a no-go for you?
Just from a sizing as coming from a 70 gallon black tank.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Just from a sizing as coming from a 70 gallon black tank.
Hmmm .. I was under the impression that with cassette toilets one can go days and days using them before disposal of whatever their "contents" consist of - kindof as long as a regular RV toilet with a large black tank.

I could very well be wrong about that, though. Maybe a cassette toilet has some real negative hassles connected with it?
Old 10-25-2021, 06:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Hmmm .. I was under the impression that with cassette toilets one can go days and days using them before disposal of whatever their "contents" consist of - kindof as long as a regular RV toilet with a large black tank.

I could very well be wrong about that, though. Maybe a cassette toilet has some real negative hassles connected with it?
The one on the Ekko is 5 gallon, some folks carry a spare.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:32 AM   #9

Quote:

You might be thinking of a composting toilet.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Cabesa View Post
You might be thinking of a composting toilet.
Yeah ... that's probably what I was wondering about.

I know that one of the two "toilet technologies" (cassette or composting) was supposed to be the ultimate for clean and sanitary longterm drycamping/boondocking: i.e. The contents can be disposed of in an outhouse or buried out in natural locations.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #11

I spoke with LTV and was told that the bays are not heated at all and would need to used winterized.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Hi,

Doing my new rig research and like the idea of a AWD transit for year round use.

I have spent a lot of time researching both rigs (and others) but would like the collective wisdom of this group.

Still 10.years from retirement so it will be for 4-6 multi week trips and 8-10 3-4 night trips. I am 18 months out from looking to buy so that means putting a deposit down soon.

It basically will be our second home. Currently have a 38ft class A gas pusher towing a 4 door Wrangler.

I love the Ekko for its winter and battery capability but the living space and quality of the LTV is really nice.

We live in Michigan and do.lots of winter stuff so I am leaning towards the Ekko.

What do folks think?

Have not had chance to see either yet.

Not sure yet if we plan to have a toad but current one is a 2012 Jeep Wrangler which will need replacing if we do decide to tow.

Thanks,
I would go with the Wonder but prejudiced as it's made in Canada. The Ekko is quite a bit more $ here than the Wonder. Haven't heard too many problems / complaints about the Wonder other than build time line which when you think about it is a good thing . More people are lining up to buy. I think though for what you describe weather off roading the Ekko maybe a better choice for you. The Wonder is not really set up for winters or off roading . But agree with a lot of the posters the layout of the Wonder is real nice and it's twin beds with huge outside storage and split bath etc. Good luck with your decision. You may also have to factor in dealers . Not sure if there is a Wonder LTV dealer close to where you live?
balticblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #13

Thanks Baltic blue,

After speaking to Leisure travel vans it looks like I am better off with the Ekko :-)
Old 11-10-2021, 04:42 PM   #14

I've been looking at the same comparison and made a few quick notes, will share those here:

Quick notes:
  • LTV Wonder RTB has smaller battery bank at 200Ah, a required genny, a 3-way fridge, is wider and longer than Ekko, but is not as tall as the Ekko. It also honestly has prettier lines than the Ekko, which looks more boxy and sort of utilitiarian. It also has a true split dry bath and shower, which is very nice.
  • Ekko has an option for huge 640Ah lithium battery bank with no generator, a 12V fridge compressor fridge, it's shorter and narrower than the LTV, though a bit taller than the LTV, has a cassette toilet vs. traditional black tank, is generally a 4-season coach (with a couple of caveats), has a heated garage, vented AC output so that's a little quieter, can be ordered without awnings, and has a substantially higher list price than the LTV Wonder RTB
BTW, I do not believe higher cost guarantees higher quality. In fact, the buzz I'm seeing as I look around is that the Ekko has a number of interesting first-model-year growing-pains. To be fair, owners say Winnebago has been responsive and is repairing things under warranty, is proactively going back to fix known issues before selling units built to date, and has even extended the 2022 model year warranty by six months as a good will gesture.

The Ekko sounds like a better fit overall for what we want, but we're not in a big hurry to buy one. The cassette toilet isn't something we've dealt with before, so we have a little concern about that, and we're happy to let other early buyers help "flush out" the biggest issues before we buy. Maybe we'd look at picking one up in the 2023 model year after they've built enough to figure out and resolve the biggest issues. Now that we're both fully vaccinated and one of us even boosted, we hope to see an Ekko in person in January at a regional RV show. That should help us start making some decisions.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago