Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #1

Winnebago Minnie Winnie brand new...or different brand?

We went to the dealership and we fell in LOVE with the Winnebago Minnie Winnie 31H/HP. We have 6 kids, but two will be off to college when we start this venture. However, they will be joining us for an occassional trip. We will be hauling our minivan, or purchasing a lighter weight car for towing along (if we find a better option worth the money).

I am wondering, if I LOVED this particular Class C vehicle, would I love something else, for a better price? Or should I stop looking now? Also, we saw a Class A Winnebago brand that we liked a lot too. It would cost more though, and I am not sure if it was enough better to justify the higher cost. But my husband loved it! Both would work for us though.

Should we keep looking before we decide? Or have we pretty much found what is great? Also, this is our first time and the warranty stuff is really attracting us to the new Winnebago. But, we don't want to be unwise with our money.
LisaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lisa, with 6 kids and all of the "junk" needed to support them on a trip, I'd seriously look for a class A bunk house model from Winnebago or Jayco. A class A will have more cargo carrying capacity than a class C. I would avoid Thor products as they do not impress me in the least.

I think a C will be over weight when loaded up for 6 kids and parents plus supplies.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #3

Please see my recent post on the thread "Confused over Class C or entry Class A" on this forum concerning the Sunseeker 3170DS. Weight can be controlled; cost new cannot.
budblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I have 2 Boys (9&13), a 30' Minnie Winnie and we have put 12K miles on it in one year being "Weekenders".. Love the RV, ok with the gas mileage/cost.. I think my weight allowance is 14,050 and with the boys, Wife, Dog, full tanks, and all our stuff we are 13,900... (I'm 295 BTW).. I pull my 4,500lb 4runner occasionally all over Texas.. Everything's great, but if there is one more kid (ok, maybe two) inside... it feels crowded. There is a little plate/bracket above the rear shocks.. I have notice that the Bolt on top of the shock absorbers are denting the plate (looks like hail damage almost). I have not been good about airing up the airbags for the extra weight.

I would check out the class A if I were you, storage is very important.. I got the "C" with the larger underneath storage so no issues for us. I never have to run the Generator/AC while driving down the road.. the FORD AC has been sufficient thus far. To be fair we are based in Houston, and very used to the heat.

Test drive as much as possible, and take it to the scales with your whole family inside.. I think it costs $9.00 to get it weighed at Love's..
Old 09-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #5

Look at the the forester 3171. Price point for the C class will be -10k. Storage is an issue with class C's but perceived drivability is much better. My wife doesn't mind driving a class C and refuses to drive the class A. We are most likely going back to a lass C. We have looked at all the bunk models and have chosen the forester.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you go with a class C, stick with the Winnebago line. Better value for the $$$

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I owned a 2000 Minnie-Winnie, the most trouble free RV I ever owned. Served us well.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #8

Lisa,
Only the Winnebago and the Forst Rivers (new ones) have 1-piece fiberglass roof panels. I know it is debatable about whether this is better than a rubber roof membrane or not but in my slippery little mind it seems like it would be more durable. The Minnie is a good one.

Dan
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #9

Have you looked at any Jayco class 'C' units. I almost bought a Melbourne a few years ago. It drove nice and had a very nice interior. We could not agree on price but after I bought a 5th wheel a few months later they had it priced less than my rejected offer...ugh.

I would at least look on-line to see if they have a floor plan that works for you.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #10

We just sold our 2008 Winnebago Outlook, we loved it. We had just over 70,000 trouble free miles, it never let us down. The only reason we moved to a Class A was the need for more space, inside and out. I can only imagine with a family of your size the larger Class A would seem to be a better choice.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #11

As we just moved to an older class a from a class c I do have to admit I do miss the full time overhead bed for the kids but that's about it having the extra storage and living quarters are nice even though we don't spend much time inside. With 4 kids all the time you will really regret not getting actuall bunks trust me you'll end up spending the money twice as you will quickly upgrade to a bunk model someone said it the class a with bunks is the way to go!!
Happy travels!
Mitchyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #12

Oh and forgot to add that we went from a Bigfoot manufactured class c to the Winnebago even though its 17 years old the quality is outstanding everything works perfectly ( with a tiny bit of elbow grease )
Mitchyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago