Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2020, 07:57 AM   #1

Winnebago Quality

Have researched about everything I can on Winnebago including their unique manufacturing process where they make everything, with exception of the power train, in house. Since they are a stand alone company, that is not owned by some Wall Street investment group, I would expect they are primarily interested in building quality products.

Interested in a new Class C Outlook. Any info on Winnebago and the Outlook specifically would be most appreciated. Have not heard much negativity in the forums and on social media about Winnebago.

Thanks Again

Old Guy Dave
Floridastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2020, 08:17 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We are fairly happy with our Winnebago. 2008 model, well thought out design.

It's not the same standard as our 1994 Airstream was, but then it's not an Airstream.

Did you take a factory tour? Very interesting if you have a chance.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I "think" the newer Outlooks have a membrane roof whereas the "older ones" (like mine) have a fiberglass roof. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

With proper maintenance, the membrane roofs seem to be OK (although others have said accidental scrapes with a tree branch can be a huge problem.)

There are a few older threads (which I cannot no longer find) where Outlook owners lamented other changes in the newer models which they thought cheapened the Outlook and were made for the sake of improved profit margin only.

I would not consider a MH that did not have a fiberglass (or gelcoat) roof. YMMV, of course. There are a gazillion RVs out there with membrane roofs that have served people well.

Something to consider: I occasionally call WBGO and talk to a tech who "pulls up" the build records on my 13 year old coach to discuss a problem and the solution. I find that pretty amazing in this day and age.

Good luck in the hunt; and be safe.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We have purchased three new Winnebagos and one new Tiffin, all diesel. Would purchase either brand again if ever in the market again. Tiffin company is legendary for after-warranty work, although Winnebago company isn’t ... however, the Winnebago products we’ve owned haven’t needed much. From our perspective, Winnebago quality is pretty good.

We have no Outlook experience.

YMMV.
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our '08 Sightseer has been very trouble free and I'm impressed with the build quality. I do most of my own work and have looked behind panels and inside electrical boxes- everything sturdy. I can't vouch for newer models in the same way, so maybe wait for those to comment here. If you're looking exclusively at class c's, have you seen Lazy Daze? No slides but excellent quality. They're not really any more expensive than anyone else's. If I were doing it again that's the way I'd go.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #6

My post may not help because of ours is a 2003 model. I have no idea if quality is the same, but here goes.

Ours is an Itasca, made by Winnebago that I consider to be a midline model. What sold me on it was the fit and finish. Wiring and plumbing were run neatly, even behind cabinets, under drawers, and in cubby holes not normally seen or accessed. No raggedy holes in compartments, nothing left unfinished.

We did have a problem with the wallpaper border coming loose but that was addressed early on under warranty. The coach itself has been trouble free. Never an issue with the slide, no water leaks, nothing falling apart. Heck, most of the original sealant/caulk is still in place and looking good!

Had to replace the kitchen faucet about three years ago, the water pump earlier this year when it started leaking. Otherwise, we're still running all the original appliances, Norcold frig, Coleman AC, Samsung microwave, Atwood WH, furnace, even the old Samsung picture tube television.

The chassis has given us a few problems over the years but ours is not the same chassis used these days. The Kwikee hydraulic jacks started leaking at about the 16 year mark and I replaced them.

Going from my ownership experience of almost 18 years, I'd recommend Winnebago.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
My post may not help because of ours is a 2003 model. I have no idea if quality is the same, but here goes.

Ours is an Itasca, made by Winnebago that I consider to be a midline model. What sold me on it was the fit and finish. Wiring and plumbing were run neatly, even behind cabinets, under drawers, and in cubby holes not normally seen or accessed. No raggedy holes in compartments, nothing left unfinished.

We did have a problem with the wallpaper border coming loose but that was addressed early on under warranty. The coach itself has been trouble free. Never an issue with the slide, no water leaks, nothing falling apart. Heck, most of the original sealant/caulk is still in place and looking good!

Had to replace the kitchen faucet about three years ago, the water pump earlier this year when it started leaking. Otherwise, we're still running all the original appliances, Norcold frig, Coleman AC, Samsung microwave, Atwood WH, furnace, even the old Samsung picture tube television.

The chassis has given us a few problems over the years but ours is not the same chassis used these days. The Kwikee hydraulic jacks started leaking at about the 16 year mark and I replaced them.

Going from my ownership experience of almost 18 years, I'd recommend Winnebago.

Nice testimonial
Old 12-11-2020, 03:41 PM   #8

After 5 years of "research" , I'm wanting one of the class C , 31Ks with the new Ford 7.3 gas V-8 . but haven't heard from Winnebago anything about the new 31K yet or any of the 31s . Maybe that is a good thing , they aren't rushing development of it ...? They have about 3 sizes in the 20s ft range though , for a while now .
TourNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I’m on my second Winnebago product, prior to my Vista I had a Sunova 35J similar to Puttin.

Both have been relatively problem free. I did have an issue with the Sunova and the slides (needed some alignment) and while Winnie didn’t cover (I was the 3rd owner and the unit was 9 years old) the support from the factory in diagnosing the issue remotely and connecting me with the a dealer that could fix it correctly was second to none.

Our Vista has been good so far, we have only owned for a little over a year but most of my work has been “making it mine” vs repairs.

The ability to get all diagrams, build sheets and other info online for free is a huge bonus, but like any RV I think how it was maintained before you buy it is the major thing to look at. That being said, I think they build a pretty solid product and will take care of a owner in need of help.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:01 PM   #10

Well I'm happier now , General RV has the larger Winnebago Class Cs now , 31H & 31K - the one I would want in the future , if I can ever decide to get a RV , that I've already saved up for , wondering if it would be worth it / how bad off will the country get , depending ? ...

https://www.generalrv.com/product/ne...31k-1245986-16

I see the inside dog house / engine cover is the same piece as the V-10's was , but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me . Every brand using Ford is also stuck with that piece , so far . ( Wonder if Ford kept that cover for increased air around the more narrow pushrod V-8 engine for the spark plug wire deal of theirs ? )
TourNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #11

The chassis is going to be one year back from that of the Class C RV. If Ford or Ram or Mercedes introduce a new model in 2021 it will be used with the 2022 model year RV.

If I was willing to wait a couple years for delivery my choice for a Class C would be one of the ones from Leisure Travel Vans. They have the best designs in my opinion. Not wanting to wait that long I found a new Winnebago Navion and bought it.

If you are planning on doing a lot of dry camping the new Winnebago models are not a good choice with their use of induction cooktop burners and DC only refrigerators and low load capacity which is 300-400 lbs less than with LTV Class C motorhomes.

The factory installed Zamp solar kit is inadequate in every respect and the factory person did a terrible job with the installation of the panels and left long runs of cables tied in a bundle on the roof. It is unfortunate that Winnebago does not have the motorhomes available as "solar ready" so the wiring is in place and owners can install the panels and charge controller and C-box themselves or at a local shop.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:26 AM   #12

Have a Winnebago 22R with no slides on the Ford E450 chassis purchased new. Hate to say it out loud; but, no problems with the camper or its components. Unlike your first poster, Unplanned, I have owned two new Airstreams and had leaks in both of them. Never could find the origin on the first one and the second one took a whole winter to repair flooring. The Airstreams are beautiful and in my experience the Winnebago is reliable...for whatever that is worth. Good luck with your search
Outdoorsman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:26 AM   #13

I had a 2008 Aspect 26A for several years. I found the quality was above the generally mid level RVs. I have no information on the newer ones. I bought a 2019 Entegra Esteem 29V and feel that the quality in my new rig to be superior.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:57 AM   #14

We are on our second class A Winnebago and would buy another without hesitation.

They are not perfect, we have minor gripes of course. Most regarding veneer quality, window quality, TV input wiring, etc. However, the industry in general has demanded cheaper parts over the years. I think you will find those cost cutting measures to be similar across all brands.

We bought another Winnebago because they lead the industry in structure engineering, plumbing, electrical and weight distribution. I'm always working on things or taking them apart just to have a look. Everything important is very well thought out and balanced.

A safe, well built rig for our family to ride, relax, cook, shower and sleep while on vacation for many more years.

Tags
quality, winnebago