Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
I think you will enjoy your new View. I've made quite a bit of mods but haven't documented it.

1. Added the new style Amp L Start that has a lithium battery option so it's great for chassis battery charge. You connect it to the charge mate pro under the passenger seat. It will charge the chassis battery from shore power and house solar as well.

2. Under chassis sewer storage. There are a couple of videos made on this on the older chassis models. They didn't work for my floor plan as I didnt have enough room under there. Not sure if the J floor plan has the same problem. I installed the adjustable length sewer storage the long way facing front to back on the right hand side of the rear skid protector (metal V shaped piece on the chassis). PM me if you want details and pictures. Working on also putting a macerate in but looks like space is too limited.

3. Removed factory poorly installed solar panels and repositioned and added 200 watts additional, and adding 1 more for a total of 510 watts. I filled the screw holes from the original install with epoxy and used VHB tape for new install with no screws. I also added a layer of coroplast under all the panels as the flat panel like to overheat. Reversed the wires to the charge controller-zamp solar uses a backwards setup that creates unnecessary additional wires on roof.

4. Installed soft start to AC unit. The Coleman is terribly loud on start up.

5. Installed carpet in basement storage including the passthrough portion. The plastic in there makes items slide around like crazy.

6. New windshield and cockpit window covers. Factory ones are a joke.

7. Added soft close toilet seat/cover.

8. Replaced shower hose to metal flexible hose. Factory ones look like the metal flex hose, but it's a cheap plastic hose with silver stripes that make it look like metal. Also replaced outside shower hose to metal flexible hose.

9. Changed thermostat to new airexcel thermostat with bluetooth function. The awning has bluetooth control as well as the hydraulic leveling Jacks (if you have the equalizer factory jacks) I dont think HWH has that option. As well as the lithium batteries so it's nice to check status/control all items through you phone.

10. Changed slide out wiring to operate without having to turn in the engine. Couple of blogs out there for this already.

11. The foam in the AC just bothers me. Just one of those details they shouldn't have cheapened out on. Especially at that price point.

12. Added check valve at water tank overflow. Let's air into tank but not water to escape. A crazy amount of water spills out of the tank when driving. The gravity water fill port has a separate small overflow so not concerned about added the check valve to the main overflow.

13. Disconnected loud leveling jack alarm at the dash. My equalizer leveling panel has a separate small alarm that is not as annoying.

14. Added weathertech floor Matt's. New coach doesn't come with floor Matt's which is doesn't make any sense. Mercedes has a floor matt as well but they were all out of stock a while back.

15. Added weboost cell booster.

16. Many more mods to come.

Your username sounds familiar. Were you in the Monaco forum that I used to hang out in few years back? I haven't been on this forum for a long time.

Thanks. No, never in a Monaco forum. My current and only RV is a Tiffin. I have the Amp-L-Start being installed already. Iím initially keeping the two std flexi solar panels plus adding a 170w rigid panel and see what kind of performance I get before ripping off the std panels. I currently plan to store sewer hose in rear lower passenger side bay but may consider adding underneath storage as you did. What kind of brackets did you use to attach to the frame? I plan to buy the WeatherTech mats too.

What windshield and cab window covers did you buy?

Iím considering the WeBoost. Did you attach exterior antenna to ladder and bring coax cable in via the roof access port?

Thanks for the info.

Randy
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2020, 05:11 PM   #30

For stinky hose storage why not mount a 3Ē pvc pipe underneath with a slide cap to keep it in . CheP, neat and easy to keep clean.
JohnNye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:16 PM   #31

Randy yes I do remember some of your posts from the Tiffin section. I used to browse Monaco, Newmar, and Tiffin once in a while.

I forgot to answer about the fox shocks, but I'll be installing mine in my driveway. If you are ever in Vegas, I'd be happy to install yours. I still have a few years left I can crawl under the coach.

See picture of the sewer hose storage. My wife had a no drilling holes policy in the new RV. I've used VHB tape for most everything but I have 1 hole drilled for the sewer storage and some holes for a new TV mount ar the dinette for the kids. At the bumper side, the left screw was an existing screw hole that attaches the fiberglass to the sheet metal. I removed the old screw and attached the sewer mount in that hole. I drilled one new hole on the right side. There is sheet metal under the fiberglass so its hold in strong. On the opposite end, the sewer tube wedges between the generator and spare tire hangars. I used stainless steel zip ties to secure that side. Its secured really well. It holds a 10 ft rhino hose with all the fittings. I don't carry an extension hose. Unlike the diesel pusher, this smaller RV is agile and no big deal to move once parked if the sewer is too far away.

PM me if you have any questions. The View is a good size RV to downsize to and you will find it less hassle than the diesel pusher, and overall more enjoyable bouncing around. It gets good mileage but oddly with such a small tank, you have to fill up much more often.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200530_192757.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	287648   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200530_192806.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	287649  

Name:	20200530_192811.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	287650  
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:30 PM   #32

Forgot to answer on the shades. I bought covers from high end motorsports for the 2019 Cab Chassis. The windshield one is fine but the driver and passenger are held in by suction cups. I want to tint the windows so I think I will have to change those out soon. Not sure which ones I will switch to.

For the we boost antenna, i bought the Drive X RV anntenna. I was planning on mounting it to the ladder but it was much too ugly. I used the metal bracket it came with and bent it into a U shape on a vise. Then I installed that U bracket with VHB tape to to roof and installed the anntenna without any of the extensions including the spring. It looked too tall with those pieces. Yes I used the roof port. You have to drill a hole in the port that is on the roof and fish the wire down. If you don't have an electrical fish tape, it's a pain in the butt.

If you look at the picture way in the back, you can see the antenna behind the roof vent.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200512_164808.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	287651  
Old 05-31-2020, 06:15 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Forgot to answer on the shades. I bought covers from high end motorsports for the 2019 Cab Chassis. The windshield one is fine but the driver and passenger are held in by suction cups. I want to tint the windows so I think I will have to change those out soon. Not sure which ones I will switch to.

For the we boost antenna, i bought the Drive X RV anntenna. I was planning on mounting it to the ladder but it was much too ugly. I used the metal bracket it came with and bent it into a U shape on a vise. Then I installed that U bracket with VHB tape to to roof and installed the anntenna without any of the extensions including the spring. It looked too tall with those pieces. Yes I used the roof port. You have to drill a hole in the port that is on the roof and fish the wire down. If you don't have an electrical fish tape, it's a pain in the butt.

If you look at the picture way in the back, you can see the antenna behind the roof vent.
Thank you for your replies and information. Very helpful!
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:07 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I have a 2020 View 24D. Came from a 38 ft diesel pusher.

Pros:

Great styling
Good floor plan with slide out
DC refrigerator works great but does take lots of power
Factory lithium option. Didn't want it at first and planned on doing my own, but happy I didnt have to do all the work.
New sprinter chassis with safety features works slick. Active lane keeping assist and adaptive cruise gets a big thumbs up.
Good size gray and black tanks. Too small of fresh water tank.
2000 watt inverter charger
Factory hydraulic auto level-worth every penny especially if you come from a diesel pusher
Lots of interior storage
Very agile. Can do uturns.
Great countertop space on 24D. Was main reason for our purchase. Liked the corner bed better but didnt want small counter
Truma water heater is great especially with the recirculating pump feature
Great fuel mileage compared to Diesel Pusher.

Cons:
Small fresh water tank-looking to replace existing tank or add on a tank under dinnette
Entry door has gaps, strut always ready to break off and you have to slam it hard. Can't close this door quietly. Looking for stronger strut.
Loud diesel gen compared to water cooled diesel gens.
Smaller than expected outside storage. Looks good on videos but once you start placing items, you realize how small it really is.
No sewer hose storage. Installed one under the chassis.
Back up camera does not work at speed. Others have mentioned they can do it on earlier models but that is due to their navigation being installed by winnebago. 2020 view has the MBUX by mercedes factory and cannot be changed. Hope they have firmware update in future to fix this.
Moves in the wind more than expected. Ordered fox 2.5 shocks to hopefully help.
Crappy old school single pain slider windows. They do have clear acrylic double pain as option but was not available when I got mine.
Murphy bed is short. If you are taller than 5-10 you may want to reconsider to different floor plan.
Terrible tank level gauge. Only shows in 3rds. May add sea level in future.
Chassis battery does not charge when on shore power. Installed amp L start to fix this.
U shaped dinnete looks good but terrible seating arrangement. Would be better not to have the u portion. May Rip it out. Cushions are poor quality and need more support.
Bathroom and kitchen sinks are top mounted instead of undermount. Water gets everywhere when using sinks especially if you have kids. May change out countertops and sinks in future.
Plastic push button locks on the cabinets don't seem like they will last long. At least they are inexpensive to replace.
Coleman AC much louder than the dometic in my previous coach. Also can keep up when it starts getting hotter than 95.
Maxx fan cannot be reversed either though remote has button. Winnie didnt install that option.
Ceiling AC ducting is white styrofoam and have no lining. Never noticed until after purchase. Always seen ducted AC lined with silver tape of some sort.

Either though I have lots of cons, I do like and enjoy the view. Many of the cons can be upgraded or changed. Some I knew about while researching, and some I was surprised after owning it. Chose the View mostly for styling.
Where did you get the Amp-L-start (15amp) See the Trik-L-start (5 amp) all over the place but not many options for buying the amp-l.

Also, can you share more info in the fill check valve? I usually fill from the driver side main connector until water spills out of the overflow on passenger side. The passenger side fill is a pita and doesnít allow easily filling the tank. Thx
Ozon8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:09 AM   #35

I bought the Amp L Start from LSL Products directly.

As doe the check valve, I believe the water fill/overflow vent is different on different floor plans. My 24D has the gravity fill and overflow vent on the drivers side slide out. They are approximately 1 ft apart. I installed a check valve on the main overflow vent as water would gush out of there from regular driving down the road.

The gravity fill port also has a small overflow vent tube which I left alone.

Not sure what other floor plans tank/vent locations are.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #36

We have been living full time in a 2019 View 24D for about 14 months and love it. See my perspectives on your questions below.

Questions

1-Generator- diesel or LP gas, fuel flow (I have seen it somewhere with load factor and fuel flow, but can't find, if you know where please point me). Noise and vibration with generator under the bed(24J) or across the unit (24D). Has anyone tried a Honda 2200 with a unit A/C microstart about 30 feet away, for sleeping? I understand that I would have to carry gas and 10 gallons would last more than a week.

TG: this is one of those questions with more answers than most imagine. But the key is really how you will use the rig and what modifications you intend to make.

So first, if you plan to use the generator often for overnight AC, you need the diesel. The LP tank is 13 gals (10 usable) and the gen burns .6 gph at med load. That doesn't get you far and filling LP is much more difficult than diesel.

As for portable gens, the hot set up is the AC start assist (Microstart or one of the others) and the Wen 2650 gas inverter gen with fuel shut off. A great gen that will handle your AC and not self destruct with gunk if you don't use it often.

For everything but the AC, solar and lithium is the way to go. On our rig we ordered it with the LP gen and used the $5k saved to upgrade solar, chargers and batteries. We still have the gen for emergencies but have yet to need it.

2-Slides- The 24J can easily be used without putting the slide out and the 24D has to have it, what about parking lots, roadside while traveling, national parks, places I haven't thought of. Another fear is being in the middle of a large BLM area (REMOTE) and the slide sticks and will not come in, then what?

TG: Certainly slides can break. Bit based on the thousands of View owners posting in various forums, it seems to be a rare issue. And there is a manual override to retract it in and emergency. It not easy, but is not intended to be used often.

For us the expansive room the Murphy bed units provide, which we use every day, far outweighed the slide concerns. And if we are someplace we can't deploy the slide, we have the upper bunk for a quick Wallydock stay.

Plus, the D is the only floorplan with the huge counter space in the kitchen making daily meal prep a breeze. And we love having a full dinette and a couch for that quick afternoon nap.

3-Refrigerator- Is a compressor that much better?

TG: This is another area where it depends how you will use it and what mods you plan. My take is if you are t going to upgrade the solar and batteries, the LP fridge might be better. With our solar and lithium we could go 4 days with zero solar before we had to do something to charge the batteries. But with the solar we use about 35ah of our batteries overnight and have the back to 100% by 10 am.

Of course there is the level issue as well as the hot weather and high altitude performance. Our compressor fridge seems to have no reduction in cooling for hot weather (we have had 110 outside and 85 inside), or for altitude (we have overnighted at about 9200').

4 The MB chassis had a major change in 2019, 2020 coach year, is it that much better, the 7 speed transmission, the driving assists?

TG: I have to admit that I almost jumped for a 2020 (2019 chassis) because of the added cab and chassis updates. But in the end I didn't t like the coach as much. If all things were equal, I would have made the change.

5-New or previously owned? I found a 2016 with a cracked shower floor and called a couple of dealers to ask for a ballpark repair number, within 2,000, couldn't do it. Repairs could be a nightmare, are you that much better off with new?

TG: This is tough because you have to be so careful. Not everyone is honest. At the very least I would look for a unit exclusively serviced by Mercedes. To me that says they cared to get the best service, and all records are available at any dealer. That doesn't mean independent shops are bad, only that it makes it hard to verify. I believe there are some excellent used u it's out there.

And on the shower, I had a cracked shower in a previous HR class A. I purchased a kit for repairing a bathtub and did it myself. It was actually better than new when repaired and it never reoccurred. And if you don't want to tackle it yourself, forget RV ships and call a bath refinisher. They can do it and do it cheaper.

6 Are there things that I haven't thought of, please help, as I would like to purchase in the next 2 weeks if possible.

TG: I assume you have probably purchased by know, but here are some things to consider.

1) Cargo capacity - I don't recall which unit we looked at but I think it was a Tiffin. Doing the math, if I loaded it up with full water and very modest supplies I would have to leave my wife at home to stay within load ratings. It had Corian counters, hardwood cabinets, ceramic toilet and so on. The remaining cargo capacity was tiny.

2) With the new MB chassis, there are 2 different feature levels. One doesn't have most of the upgrades. I believe you can tell at a glance by the existence or omission of driving lights. Don't be fooled by a too cheap price for a new chassis.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Terry
ResortMGR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, winnebago