Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2020, 07:57 AM   #1
24D

Winnebago View 24J or 24D purchase help

I am going to buy my first motorhome at the ripe age of 72, maybe biting off more than I can chew, but I need some help. I will be Boondocking 98% out west or Canada or Alaska, so self sufficiency is paramount. The models are from Winnebago View 24J 2015 to new or a View 24D 2018 to new that I would be interested in. I thought about a Revel, just need a little more space.
Questions
1-Generator- diesel or LP gas, fuel flow (I have seen it somewhere with load factor and fuel flow, but can't find, if you know where please point me). Noise and vibration with generator under the bed(24J) or across the unit (24D). Has anyone tried a Honda 2200 with a unit A/C microstart about 30 feet away, for sleeping? I understand that I would have to carry gas and 10 gallons would last more than a week.
2-Slides- The 24J can easily be used without putting the slide out and the 24D has to have it, what about parking lots, roadside while traveling, national parks, places I haven't thought of. Another fear is being in the middle of a large BLM area (REMOTE) and the slide sticks and will not come in, then what?
3-Refrigerator- Is a compressor that much better?
4 The MB chassis had a major change in 2019, 2020 coach year, is it that much better, the 7 speed transmission, the driving assists?
5-New or previously owned? I found a 2016 with a cracked shower floor and called a couple of dealers to ask for a ballpark repair number, within 2,000, couldn't do it. Repairs could be a nightmare, are you that much better off with new?
6 Are there things that I haven't thought of, please help, as I would like to purchase in the next 2 weeks if possible.
Thank you,
24D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2020, 08:11 AM   #2

1) Diesel generator is a brute and uses less fuel than the propane one hands down. Go to Cummins.com and search for QD3200. There are general downloadable documents that contain the fuel consumption details for their products. Yes, it's noisy, they all are. You get used to it.
2) Slides work and they fail. Personally I don't like them, and I rarely use the one in our 24V. But it does work and increases the usable floor space.
3) Compressor fridges don't require leveling. They cool faster than absoprtion. Depending on model, they can use more electricity.
4) Winnebago added more of the built in MB safety equipment on an upgraded Sprinter chassis, in 2019-2020. The only major physical changes that I'm aware of are, the 7 speed transmission, and a relaxed attitude towards the use of bio-diesel. Others will have to help you with this one.
5) It's up to you and your budget. I ordered and bought new. No problems.
6) Be patient, other's comments will follow.
These comments are opinions based on my personal experience, and some limited technical knowledge, and are caveated as such, thusly.
Good luck with your search for knowledge.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:27 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2017 24V with about 60,000 miles on it (bought new) so I have used it quite a lot over the last 3 years. A few observations which may answer some of your questions:

- Chassis has been flawless. I do normal maintenance myself (oil and filter, fuel filter, air filter). All very simple for someone with basic auto knowledge. Maintenance is every 20,000 miles!
- I have the Onan 3200 QD diesel generator, about a $5000 option. On the road, it's much easier to fill up with diesel than to get someone to put LP into your tank. For boondocking, you can just bring some extra diesel containers vs. trying to tap into your propane line for an additional tank.
- Downside of the Onan diesel 3200QD is that they're not made anymore and no one seems to know how to work on them. I have had problems with mine, taken it to Onan, and ended up researching and learning how to fix it myself. I've even helped other Irv2 owners fix theirs. I have almost 1000 hours on mine and I've had to replace the fuel shut off solenoid and the control panel. Now it seems to be working great.
- The 24v layout lets you sleep in the back without opening the side. I found it was the most functional for my wife and I as we stay in Walmarts. We have a removable pedestal table but I would prefer a dinette like the J.
- Refrig. I had the small 1 amp fuse blow that is in the wiring harness which shuts off the fan. Took me a few months to locate that problem. I worked around it by putting two small AC fans in the bottom compartment to blow the heat off. However frig would only work on AC. Change thermostat at top of fins and carry extra fuses now and its working fine. I do carry the fans to assist with cooling in HOT weather.
- I bought mine new. It's tough to buy used if you're not familiar with RV's. I've owned 5 over the years so know what to look for so I myself wouldn't hesitate to buy used. ALWAYS look at the ceiling - any brown spots indicating leaks - RUN AWAY. Any bulging in the sidewalls - RUN AWAY.

Good luck and feel free to PM me with any specific questions.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:30 AM   #4

I don’t have a View bit I do have a Citation Sprinter. I can answer a few questions. I have the Diesel generator and I really don’t notice the noise. Does a little background noise bother you while sleeping? I turn mine off when I go to bed anyway.

One problem with the sprinter is water and waste. You have to dump every few days. Is that a problem? I solved mine by installing a Laveo dry flush toilet in lieu of the standard toilet. It doubles my gray water capacity so extends my boon docking ability. I swap it out with the standard toilet depending on our trips. Takes me about an hour now to do the swap.

On the shower floor. I myself wouldn’t be afraid to change that myself. That is a ridiculous price for a $100 piece and a couple hours labor to swap the floor.

I can’t speak on the fridge.

Don’t be afraid of used. There are thousands of good used RVs on the road. People buy them and then decide the RV lifestyle is not for them. Sort of like boats.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:21 AM   #5

Good for you for getting out there

Some suggestions ..
Dont have a view style myself, we needed the cargo, tow capacity of a v10 based unit so have a 23u thor. My thoughts .. based in doing lots of remote camping and seeing some fantastic sites..

* Solar. Its affordable, you can put enough watts on the roof to negate MOST generator use. Requires battery capacity as well. Generator most useful to us when microwave being used. When I do run generator, I typically run the electric side of hot water heater coz the difference in fuel for the load is minimal. Also for us, our oven is convection electric.
*I have an absorption fridge. Have always. Works fine on minor tilts. Almost any angle can comfortably sleep on fridge will work. A shovel, some level blocks solve the rest and frankly, you need to do that to make it sleep able.. or pick another site.
*slides .. as has been said they work great..when they work. Mechanisms can be damaged, mal adjusted after miles of rough roads. Having had ours fail on our previous rv, I can tell you not fun. Also people forget to tell you they CAN LEAK.
*I wouldn't worry about shower pan leak as much as what damage done from the leak to the subflooring, walls. Shower easy repair
*get a inreach satellite text, emergency transponder to take away any anxiety about getting stuck out there with no communication or access to medical care
*Lastly, and really first place to start...what do you want to do when you get "there?" Kayak? Hard shell or inflatable? Hike? How you carry what you do and how you use the rv matter. If you want to hike, you going to drive the rv from camp to trail head? I've seen some people with a small dual sport motorcycle on back, kayak rack. Do you want to run errands with the rv? Maybe a reliable pick up and a solid trailer a better option out west?

View is a good rig, but hi tech. That diesel, like all the new stuff going to need maintenance. When it goes down, specialized maintenance from providers maybe not near you. You might check on sprinter diesel issues.

Good luck
cbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:14 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I’m investigating getting either a 24J or 24D too. For me it would be my second RV, a 41 ft DP, and would be downsizing for me. I initially was leaning to the 24D for the openness and wasn’t sure of the corner bed in the 24J. However, I want to be able to easily use the RV with the slide in, so that has me now leaning to the 24J. I think the corner bed won’t be an issue since I travel solo and won’t have to bother putting up the Murphy bed each day.

I plan to order new, I like the chassis and other upgrades. I plan to get the diesel generator. I’m not sure of the comment RVThere made above about it being discontinued. It shows on the Onan website and both Winnebago and Tiffin making new units with them. The LP capacity on the View is minuscule (10 gal usable) and I think the generator would burn through that fairly quickly. Easier to fill fuel tank than LP tank.

Good luck with your search and decision making. I’m a little younger (66) but love the RV travel lifestyle!
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:46 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post

I plan to order new, I like the chassis and other upgrades. I plan to get the diesel generator. I’m not sure of the comment RVThere made above about it being discontinued. It shows on the Onan website and both Winnebago and Tiffin making new units with them. !

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7486.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	285656

When I was frustrated with lack of repair knowledge and looking to replace mine, many distributors listed the QD 3200 as discontinued. Not sure where Winnebago and Tiffin are sourcing them from?
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:02 AM   #8

Still listed as a product on the C/O website. I believe they're made in Italy. I was also puzzled about the obsolete/discontinued comment, as well. Wonder how many other Sprinter upfitters still offer them as an option?

https://www.cummins.com/generators/onan-qd-3200

Unless there's a huge warehouse full of them somewhere?
Who is Norwall.com?
Old 05-17-2020, 07:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
I’m investigating getting either a 24J or 24D too. For me it would be my second RV, a 41 ft DP, and would be downsizing for me. I initially was leaning to the 24D for the openness and wasn’t sure of the corner bed in the 24J. However, I want to be able to easily use the RV with the slide in, so that has me now leaning to the 24J. I think the corner bed won’t be an issue since I travel solo and won’t have to bother putting up the Murphy bed each day.

I plan to order new, I like the chassis and other upgrades. I plan to get the diesel generator. I’m not sure of the comment RVThere made above about it being discontinued. It shows on the Onan website and both Winnebago and Tiffin making new units with them. The LP capacity on the View is minuscule (10 gal usable) and I think the generator would burn through that fairly quickly. Easier to fill fuel tank than LP tank.

Good luck with your search and decision making. I’m a little younger (66) but love the RV travel lifestyle!
If the budget can handle it, get the full body paint, too.
Ours is 2 years old with 30,000 miles, and it still shines like new.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #10

Compressor refrigerator and RV compressor refrigerators are different

I hope you understand that while both have compressors, the RV/Marine refrigerator with a Secop/Danfoss compressor can operate up to a 30 degree angle.... while a residential compressor refrigerator needs to be level.

Also, the Marine refrigerators are designed to take a lot more pitching and swaying, that's why they are used in boats.

As for the diesel Cummins Onan, the fact that Onan doesn't work on these any more would be a big non starter for me.
I have an LPG Cummins Onan and it's great.

Why would you want to go to the hassle of carrying a portable generator? They are easily stolen. And run on gasoline..... yuck.
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
I hope you understand that while both have compressors, the RV/Marine refrigerator with a Secop/Danfoss compressor can operate up to a 30 degree angle.... while a residential compressor refrigerator needs to be level.

Also, the Marine refrigerators are designed to take a lot more pitching and swaying, that's why they are used in boats.

As for the diesel Cummins Onan, the fact that Onan doesn't work on these any more would be a big non starter for me.
I have an LPG Cummins Onan and it's great.

Why would you want to go to the hassle of carrying a portable generator? They are easily stolen. And run on gasoline..... yuck.
If you're parked on a 30 degree angle, I'd suggest you find a new campsite.
The leveling comparison was compressor versus the much pickier absorption fridge. The latter can be damaged/cause a fire, if they're too far off level. Although I used one for 9 years on probably up to 6-7 degrees off level with no issues.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:36 AM   #12

I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
If you're parked on a 30 degree angle, I'd suggest you find a new campsite.
The leveling comparison was compressor versus the much pickier absorption fridge. The latter can be damaged/cause a fire, if they're too far off level. Although I used one for 9 years on probably up to 6-7 degrees off level with no issues.
Of course, who would sleep at a 10-15 degree angle?

The point I was raising is that residential refrigerators can be damaged if they are not level.

And, there's been a few times when we've temporarily parked and we were at an angle.

Good for you that you have not had problems.

My old Dometic 8501 absorbtion refrigerator was a horrible and unreliable unit.
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
Of course, who would sleep at a 10-15 degree angle?

The point I was raising is that residential refrigerators can be damaged if they are not level.

And, there's been a few times when we've temporarily parked and we were at an angle.

Good for you that you have not had problems.

My old Dometic 8501 absorbtion refrigerator was a horrible and unreliable unit.
I guess, like most things RV, it depends on who you ask or who you believe when it comes to residentials needing to be level.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/doe...el-291746.html

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...c,87625.0.html

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm
Old 05-21-2020, 03:29 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
New 2020 24J owner

I went thru the same decision matrix back in February and we decided on the new version and the 24J. We actually went to the dealer to buy the 24D, test drove it, and was surprised how much loader it was in the cab over the 24J. With the 24J slide out, there seems to be more room than the 24D but not as much counter space. Regarding the newer chassis, the safety features and the installed solar panels also influenced our decision.

1) Styling is amazing with surprising amount of storage for the size of the unit, with the cabinets and accent lighting, oh my!
2) Incredibly comfortable to drive and the passengers are equally as pleased whether in the co-pilot spot or bringing up the rear at the dinette. Put the preparation H in storage.
3) The bed is easily accessible and comfortable for a couple who still enjoys cuddling after 30 years together and especially enjoy ability to use even with the slide closed (great for boondocking in parking lots)
4) With the slide out, very spacious living particularly with the front chairs turned around facing the living area.
5) 120 and 12v access with the 2000 watt inverter is soooo perfect for a tech savy family balanced with the included 200W solar panels.

Dislikes
1) Dont get the upgraded paint. A kindergartner can do a better job finger painting than what we experienced with drip lines all over and completely missed a strip on the top cap. EMBARRASSING for Winnebago.
2) What was Winnebago thinking with the tire air extensions. I had to install very expensive tire extensions that should have come with the unit. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME
3) Although dealers are raving about the new house door in youtube demos, the thing is a piece of crap with visible gaps while closed all around. You can see the road out of the bottom even when closed. DOAH!
4) The rear view camera is only available below 10mph or while in reverse, a problem for those like us with a towed vehicle and visibility to what is behind you while driving down the road. Come on man! BTW, we installed the Haloview 7108 and love it.
5) No stinky slinky storage as in prior year models of the 24J. Yeah, there are storage places underneath. But who wants the pooh tube living with other stored items. pooh pooh Winnie. Help a brotha out.

BTW, we dang near bought the 24D but hated the murphy bed after a trial run. and unless you are a hobbit, your legs are hanging off the end. The 24j bed is very comfortable for a couple and long enough for those taller than 5'.

And one final thought, get the diesel genie over the propane tank. Too many reviews of people regretting that decision and they bark about the same decibels.
Ozon8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, winnebago