Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #1

Winnebago view check engine light

My husband and I just purchased a 2012 Winnebago View 24G with 13,000 miles just a week ago . Soooo ....the very first time driving it to an RV storage facility yesterday the check engine yellow light came on. The Mercedes dealer told us that the computer needed updated related to the DEF fluid and that the problem was fixed. So today we drove it only five miles heading out on our maiden voyage to a local campground and the yellow check engine light came on again after driving it 5 miles. So we just dropped it back off at the dealer and were greeted with an explanation that they only start with the computer update but that it could be that the DEF tank needs replaced to the tune of $2,000 or more. We are totally newbies and feel at the complete mercy of this dealer and are not sure if this typical. Any advice at all would be very much appreciated!
Thanks
Kate
Kate Agnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 04:47 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
My first reaction to any dealer that immediately wants to replace something when it's only 2-3 years old is "Run away just as fast as you can." They do not spend any time trying to diagnose a problem they just want to replace something at your expense.

If this is the selling dealer and you have some kind of warranty or agreement with them then just ask them this. "What tests did you run that leads you to believe that the DEF tank needs replaced??? Please show me how you tested it to determine that it is defective?? If you can't prove to me that it's defective or failed some kind of a test and you still want to replace it that's fine but it's at your expense not mine.

Why would anybody expect you to bear the cost of their inability to diagnose a problem???? They are idiots and that's just the truth.

I don't know what other options you have but you need to find somebody who can diagnose the problem. Parts replacing at the owners expense should not be done these days. I would think any MB dealer could diagnose the issue. It does not need to be an RV dealer.

Sorry but i really get ticked when dealers do that. It's the lazy of dealing with repairs and they won't be in business very long with that attitude. It's just plane wrong.

Every part on every vehicle has a name, a location a function, and will exhibit symptoms when they cease to function and they can be tested. It could be something as simple as a door handle or a light bulb or as complex as valve body in the A/T.
If you have other choices don't let them work on it unless they do have a good tech that knows how to diagnose.

TeJay
Old 08-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply . This is an MB dealer not RV dealer. We called 2 truck repair mechanics before taking it to the MB dealer and they each said that they were not sure that they could access the program to diagnose it and one of them said they could perhaps fix the problem but that sometimes they are blocked from being able to. Not having any experience with mechanics, I don't really understand what they meant by that but anyway now I am thinking of picking up our RV tomorrow AM from the MB dealer before they start working on it and taking my chances with the truck mechanic. I honestly don't know if that's a good idea or not... I'm wondering if it has to do with the DEF system if that might still be under warranty - the problem is I don't know that I trust them to know that it IS a DEF problem at all! I just don't get a good feeling with this guy at the MB dealership and now he's charging another $130 to run another diagnostic when he already Charged for that yesterday plus charged me for a computer update that obviously wasn't the problem !
Kate Agnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:47 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Kate A,
It's kind of obvious that they don't really know what they are doing. Why would one repeat a test you already did to get results that you already know?? So you can charge a fee to do something else that won't tell you much. I'd refuse to pay on the grounds that they didn't learn anything of value and for sure don't pay for a repeat test.

Here's what I do know regarding the MB situation. I have a very successful student who has a shop. He told me that MB's is very secretive when it comes to their diagnostic codes. The equipment to access them is very expensive. That may be what they said regarding how things might be blocked, meaning blocked from accessing the codes.

Keep in mind that accessing codes is just a way of pointing a qualified technician in a direction. It won't tell them exactly what's wrong or which part to replace. That's something that the general public does not understand. It's no different than a DR. checking your vital signs and asking you a few diagnostic questions. It help point them in a direction. Then they use that information to point to further tests so they can make that determination as to the cause of your symptoms.

You do need to get another opinion from somebody. I don't know much about the DEF stuff and I've never owned a diesel but I know about diagnosis and testing.

As I stated in my last paragraph on my post. Every part has a name, location, function, and symptoms when they fail and they can be tested. That's how I approached teaching for 35 years and it worked. The testing part is the most critical. If a part fails it can be demonstrated through testing just why it failed.

If you are interested we can talk about this issue. Once I get more information from you I can call a few people about the DEF system. Maybe that can point you in a different direction or at least give you some ideas regarding the severity of the situation. Maybe you can just disable the system and have it fixed when you find a qualified shop. I just don't know but I'll help if you want. Send me a PM and I'll send you my phone number and we can go from there.

Diagnosis from these distances can be very troubling.

Another thought. Have you called a MB customer service rep or a regional representative and explained your problem??? Maybe they can direct you to a qualified repair center that can actually diagnose your problem. At the same time you can report the first dealer that is doing all the guessing/testing with no results.

Best of luck

TeJay
Old 08-28-2015, 10:45 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why aren't you bringing it back to the selling dealer? There could be some sort of implied warranty on it. An item related to pollution controls (i.e. DEF tank) should be covered by a 50K to 100K federally required warranty.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light, engine, light, winnebago