Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2021, 07:01 PM   #1

Winter Maintenance Service?

This winter we are planning on flying back to Mexico for a few months. We will leave our Class C in storage.

Do any storage locations include an option for running the motor and the generator once a month? What about battery maintenance?
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2021, 09:22 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My opinion is that when you should store your RV make sure that all batteries are fully charged then disconnected AT THE NEGAATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL. Don't rely on switches as they may not disconnect EVERYTHING. A fully charged battery in good condition can retain its charge for up to 2 years!

My opinion is that starting an engine and letting it idle for a while does more damage than letting it sit. When you start the engine condensation that has formed on interior surfaces of the engine and exhaust system is exposed to combustion gases and forms acids that are corrosive. If the engine isn't put under load for long enough to evaporate all that moisture the acids remain in the engine oil and exhaust system. If you are going start the engine you should drive it for at least 30 miles.

The generator is another story. The generator consists of a generator and an engine. Onan recommends that for the health of the generator portion of the set it should be started and run at > 1/2 load for 30 min/month. I know that is the recommendation, I've never started my generator in the winter and I have never had any problems in almost 50 years of RVing. My RVs sit from October to May every year!

If it were me, I would charge the batteries, disconnect them, drain the water system and put antifreeze in the p-traps. Lock the doors and go on my 6 month trip and not worry about it!

A much bigger concern is vandalism and theft while in storage! That I would worry about.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
My opinion is that when you should store your RV make sure that all batteries are fully charged then disconnected AT THE NEGAATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL. Don't rely on switches as they may not disconnect EVERYTHING. A fully charged battery in good condition can retain its charge for up to 2 years!

My opinion is that starting an engine and letting it idle for a while does more damage than letting it sit. When you start the engine condensation that has formed on interior surfaces of the engine and exhaust system is exposed to combustion gases and forms acids that are corrosive. If the engine isn't put under load for long enough to evaporate all that moisture the acids remain in the engine oil and exhaust system. If you are going start the engine you should drive it for at least 30 miles.

The generator is another story. The generator consists of a generator and an engine. Onan recommends that for the health of the generator portion of the set it should be started and run at > 1/2 load for 30 min/month. I know that is the recommendation, I've never started my generator in the winter and I have never had any problems in almost 50 years of RVing. My RVs sit from October to May every year!

If it were me, I would charge the batteries, disconnect them, drain the water system and put antifreeze in the p-traps. Lock the doors and go on my 6 month trip and not worry about it!

A much bigger concern is vandalism and theft while in storage! That I would worry about.
X2 what he said ^^^^^^
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:06 AM   #4

This would certainly simplify things!

Thinking about parking it further south as well. Not sure if it's worth it to try and avoid freezing weather. Disconnecting batteries seems like a good idea vs trickle charging. Stabil in the tank, with a bit run through the engine and genny. Fridge emptied of course.

Just not having to worry about having someone actually drive it, run the genny under load, etc. makes a big difference!
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, service, winter