Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2014, 06:51 AM   #1

Winterizing

I have a chateau class C, after draining the fresh water tanks there is about an 1" to 1 1/2" left in the bottom of the tank. Will this be a problem if it freezes or how to get it out? any ideas ?

Thanks in advance
Steve
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwiz View Post
I have a chateau class C, after draining the fresh water tanks there is about an 1" to 1 1/2" left in the bottom of the tank. Will this be a problem if it freezes or how to get it out? any ideas ?

Thanks in advance
Steve
If you have leveling jacks, simply raise and lower your coach to assist with draining as much water as possible. If you do not have the jacks, use whatever you have for leveling at a campground instead.

Some will say as long as there is room for expansion, the water left in the tank will be OK. How do you get the water out of the rest of your coach?

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Drive uphill ... then downhill ... on a winding road with all the drains open. Repeat as necessary. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #4

You can blow it out with air. It will be ok as long as the water lines themselves are empty or have rv antifreeze in them. Freezing breaks things due to the pressure of expansion and in a big tank the ice will just expand into the open air of the tank without creating pressure on the tank.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Will this be a problem if it freezes or how to get it out?
Leave it alone!

That small amount of water will NOT cause any damage if it freezes,

Water must be constrained while freezing and expanding to cause a problem.

Think of your 1"-2" of water as one cell of a BIG ice cube tray. Ice cube trays work because the water is not constrained.

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #6

Thanks for the replys

Steve
Old 11-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #7

If there is water in the tank there well might be water in the drain valve. I would play safe and dump a couple gallons of RV antifreeze in the tank. Better safe than sorry. It will cost a lot more for labor and material to replace the valve than the cost of the antifreeze.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #8

From what it sounds like, as long as water lines are blown out and water tanks have room for expansion then anti freeze may not be necessary.? Also , valves opened and clear of water...?
HRvindeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
If there is water in the tank there well might be water in the drain valve. I would play safe and dump a couple gallons of RV antifreeze in the tank. Better safe than sorry. It will cost a lot more for labor and material to replace the valve than the cost of the antifreeze.
the fittings are 1" off the bottom, so how would you get the antifreeze out in the spring ??
Old 11-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
WDW

If you have a black tank washer don't forget to give it a few puffs of air to dry it out. Advise our regional service tech gave us.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #11

Quote:
the fittings are 1" off the bottom, so how would you get the antifreeze out in the spring ??
I wind up with about a quarter inch of antifreeze in the bottom of the tank. In the spring I open the drain valve and flush the tank with a hose for a while. Eventually it's all out of there. Then I fill the tank to almost full and put in a quarter cup of bleach. I drive it around a bit so it's stirred up good, let it sit for a couple of hours, and drain the tank again. I then fill it again and then drain it again and then let it sit overnight.

Once thats done I fill it again and run all the lines for a few minutes after I see the last pink come out. I use a white plastic cup to see if there is any pink left. We don't usually use that water for drinking anyway but we have a filter if we want to.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #12
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I have always used the fresh water for everything. I have never put pink stuff in the fresh water tank and have never had a tank problem on four RV’s.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter