Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemoores View Post
A lot of these answers will vary with location.

The pink stuff is so cheap, I don't understand why people would risk the damage?

Steve
Simple. Personal preference.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2019, 02:55 PM   #58

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As with many things RV- it depends.

If the water lines are all sloped properly to a low point drain, that maybe good enough. Almost except what's left in the pump, heater and any other appliances, ice makers, washers, etc.

If the water lines don't have low areas where water can be trapped, then blowing may be good, except as noted above.

If you are in a mild winter area vs hard freeze zones, simple may work fine.

If the rig is stored indoors, heated or not, easy may be good.

If it winters outdoors in a hard freeze area the game may be different.

What works well for one model in one area can not be assumed to be good elsewhere.

I use the -75 to -80 version of AF which does not leave nearly the after taste that the cheaper -50 stuff does. I just flush the system for a while and all is good. We extensively use water from the fresh water tank since frequently we are not in full service campground. We pull our rig out several times in the winter for trips and then re-winterize upon return. No big deal to me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #59

I had a line above the low point drain crack while using the pink stiff, so nothing is certain. I bypass the WH and drain it, dump the fresh water tank. I open all the faucets and open the low point drains. I let it drain several hours. I then hook up the air to the water inlet. I have a battery powered compressor that I hook up to the air valve. I let it build pressure, than blow each faucet, hot and cold, beginning with the one farthest away from the water inlet. I have to blow each faucet several times until no more water comes out. I have to wait between each blow for pressure to build up. It's worked so far.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #60

Have a question on this matter and I am wondering about the ice maker lines?? In November we house sit in Indiana for a month. It got down in the single digits a few times. I drained all the water lines,hot water heater,filter ran the pump. Cycled the ice out of the tray and shut it off. We had heat on all month. Our coach a 2019 Forester with the "artic package". We headed south in December and I filled the water tank up and ran water through the lines. The turned on the ice maker. After 3 days no ice. Defrosted the freezer and cycled the ice maker several times manually. Still no ice. Checked to see if we had water pressure to the valve but none going to ice maker still?? Anyone have any thoughts?? Thanks,Steve
Stevemarshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoloresW View Post
We have a 2019 Winnebago View 24D. This is our first winter with it. Does anyone have experience blowing out the water systems rather than using antifreeze? The manual gave directions which we followed for blowing out the systems. We do not like the after taste of the antifreeze once it has been used in the system. We are storing it along side our house for the winter and may not use it again until the Spring. When given the demo the tech recommended using antifreeze.
I have always used cheap vodka to winterize. I blow out the lines, pump in the vodka, and have never had any issues in 30 years. In the spring, I pressurize the system, and recapture most of the Vodka for next year. I might just sip a little during the Spring dewinterizing party.
Coachmen RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
Wednesday Morning 12/11/2019 and just getting started! Any extra room in your driveway?
Try welcomeboondockers.com

Otherwise, I’ve been doing this 50 years in ID. Only ever had one freeze failure: a spray handle for the toilet I missed.

Originally put pink stuff in the fresh tank and pumped through, after draining and bypassing hot water heater. That took half the summer to clear.

Now when home I use compressed air, followed by a small amount of pink through the pump and toilet. Recent RVs have tee at pump suction. The small amount that comes through the sinks seems to do it for traps.

But when I’m south in winter I don’t want to have to haul out the compressor when I get home after a days drive. So I drain tanks, bypass hot water heater, and use a couple of gallons pink to flush system using pump suction tee.

I winterize three or more times per year.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:59 PM   #63

Geordi,, I did just like you said, followed your direction exactly. My kitchen and bathroom sink drains still froze and cracked the pipes. Want to come to my house and help me replace them ? From now on I will put antifreeze in the drain pipes.( Yes it gets cold in Florida.
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #64

Forest River Owners Club
Winterizing

I empty all tanks.. Remove filter, blow everything with about 40lb air.blowout water heater and remove water pump and store in house. Live in NM FOR 16 years and no problems except for first year, learned lesson
dunk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:09 PM   #65

We used to blow out lines and low point drain with our trailer... had labelled low point drains and easily detachable lines on water pump. In our Roadtrek we blow out lines and run antifreeze through the system. Glad we did because while running the anti freeze through lines, saw water come out before antifreeze.
moonmanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:24 PM   #66

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachmen RV View Post
I have always used cheap vodka to winterize. I blow out the lines, pump in the vodka, and have never had any issues in 30 years. In the spring, I pressurize the system, and recapture most of the Vodka for next year. I might just sip a little during the Spring dewinterizing party.
I like this guy!

Does it carry a tint of vodka after the spring change?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #67

I would recommend having the dealer do it. Otherwise use rv antifreeze pumped throughout the systems. Most good rv have a bypass installed for the hot water tank, if not you need to have one installed. Just a little moisture in the toilet water valve would freeze and cause an expensive repair.
JBradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:16 PM   #68

I only winter camp while traveling up north for the holidays so only winterize for 2 weeks wile it’s stored. But I blow out all lines and poor pink down the drains and a little in the black tank Never put it in the fresh tank. I removed my interior water filter permanently and only use an exterior filter,(we don’t drink the water in our RV FL water is gross!) I have a 150 PSi portacable portable air compressor that works fine. Be sure and put your pressure regulator on the water line inlet just in case you forget to adjust the psi on you out going air on your compressor. I also carry an array of pex fittings just in case!

Stay warm y’all !
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:17 PM   #69

In my class C I always blew out the lines. In my fifth wheel, I did nothing. Unless we get any 24 hour day(s) blow 32 degrees, I do not do anything. It can get down to the mid 20's, but 50's and 60's in the day time does not allow a hard freeze in the rig. Otherwise just blow everything out and open the low point drains. If you have one, remember to take care of the washer.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:19 PM   #70

"I have always used cheap vodka to winterize."

I'm available to help you next spring with your de-winterizing flush-out. I'll bring my own cup.

Additional benefit - no bleach needed.

(But vodka does freeze at about -12 degrees F. We used to throw a bottle out in the snow on really cold nights, and then drink the syrupy shots. Very Russian. At -15 or so, you better bring the bottle in. They freeze and burst.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, winter