Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2021, 08:01 AM   #1

Winterizing my 2012 Winnebago aspect with blowout plug

Do I install blowout plug where fresh water connection goes into fresh water tank? Or somewhere else?
Wisco rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2021, 08:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco rver View Post
Do I install blowout plug where fresh water connection goes into fresh water tank? Or somewhere else?

I generally drain out the fresh tank via the low point drain, remove the plug in the hot water tank as well and drain that.

Then after putting it all back together, use the blow out plug at the fresh water to blow out the line, and similarly use the plug at the hot water to blow out that line. There are some bypass arrangements such that one can use it just at the hot water tank, but I try not to mess with that!

Then drain out the black and gray adding back tiny bit with that ridex powder dose for the tanks.

Come spring the fresh water tank and lines get rinsed with baking soda, vinegar, baking soda and then rinse again. This also rinses out the gray and black tanks with the addition of a bag of ice in the black tank and a ride on the hood streets to slosh the ice around!

Never had any issues with fresh water system essences now the gray and black tanks! Some of our rigs had heated basements and tanks yet we still did this before storing and bringing em out for a winter trip.

The blow out plug fits the hot water tank drain nicely. We use a plastic threaded blowout plug, rather replace it than the threads on the rig!
Old 10-27-2021, 08:23 AM   #3

Forget the sloshing ice gambit. You can't swerve hard enough to get the ice to move around much without tipping your rig over.
Go to Youtube and check it out. Others have tried it and found out it is a total waste of time.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:39 AM   #4

After draining everything with low point drains and tank drain, I use my blow out plug at my city water hookup point. I then reopen all taps one at a time, hot and cold, then the low point drains again. I follow up with pumping plumbing antifreeze through all, leaving the hot water tank bypassed. My pump has a pickup tube for the introduction of the antifreeze.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 01:08 PM   #5

I have a 2012 Winnebago Access which should be similar to your Aspect. You are correct the the air blow fitting attaches to the water fill. When doing this be sure to us low pressure to blow out the lines, about 20 psi works fine.
The Winnebago manual has a good instruction on how to winterize. Some of the key points.
Shut of water pump
Drain holding tank
By pass hot water heater
Drain hot water tank by removing the plastic plug, 15/16 socket will save you some frustration. Vent the hot water system via opening a hot water faucet or activating the hot water tank relief valve. I leave this plug out until spring. I have changed out 2 heaters for friends that did not.
I use a small bowl in the sink to run water into and empty that into a larger bucket, so water is not filling the gray water tank.
With 20 psi air on the fill port open and blow out the faucets at the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, outside shower, and toilet. Plus if your rig has a toilet wash hose blow it out by flushing the toilet and spraying the hose.
My water pump is mounted at the tank and is equipped with a 3 way valve that allows you to suck RV anti freeze into the pump and into the water lines only about ¾ of a gallon are need to fill the lines. Some people don’t like to use the antifreeze as it must be flushed out in the spring. A caution is that at the pump is a filter the does not drain in freezing temps this will break. By doing the antifreeze it protects the filter and pump.
KJulsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aspect, winnebago, winter