Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2019, 03:25 PM   #1

Wireless magnetic towing lights

Has anyone here used any of the wireless magnetic tow lights, and what is your opinion of them? Seems like a good way to by-pass some of the connection headaches. Will they stay on and will they work?

Thanks for any helpful information.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #2

I have a set and am really happy with them! They mount securely to my tow vehicle, leave no marks and work great. Mine are LED and very happy. I purchased mine online from etrailer.
FlatsixV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:38 PM   #3

I see tow trucks using them now!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glarnold View Post
Has anyone here used any of the wireless magnetic tow lights, and what is your opinion of them? Seems like a good way to by-pass some of the connection headaches. Will they stay on and will they work?

Thanks for any helpful information.
We have been using the Tow Mate Light Bar for about 5 years now and love it.....has magnets that hold it on the roof of our Jeep Cherokee and it is witeless......turn off at nightly stops.....take off roof and put it rear of Jeep along with wireless plug from Jeep.....Do This,only because of all the honest folk in the world....C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Smile

Have used them for several years, thousands of miles. Work great, BUT, they do use up batteries. I use lithium AA's, but a little pricy.
bigjon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:57 PM   #6

How are they controlled - turn signals and brake lights?

Any links to them?

Thanks
Old 06-26-2019, 07:36 PM   #7

Google is your friend....

https://www.google.com/search?source...31.KgHUUre-fqM
Old 06-26-2019, 09:10 PM   #8

We bought our tow-mate from Amazon. I’ve had to call them and they’re super responsive (had a battery die and they told me where the nearest supplier was and if they had any in stock.). It’s the same unit that the tow trucks use and it works great!

There is a sending unit in the tow vehicle towing harness and a receiving unit in the light. You order whatever tow vehicle adapter you need for your Tow Vehicle. We ended up using a zip tie to secure ours to the RV just in case.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:08 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
We bought our tow-mate from Amazon. I’ve had to call them and they’re super responsive (had a battery die and they told me where the nearest supplier was and if they had any in stock.). It’s the same unit that the tow trucks use and it works great!

There is a sending unit in the tow vehicle towing harness and a receiving unit in the light. You order whatever tow vehicle adapter you need for your Tow Vehicle. We ended up using a zip tie to secure ours to the RV just in case.
We use the towmate Bar.....a row of red led and Amber turn signal on each end
This bar has a 12v....cigarette plug end that goes in cargo area of Cherokee and plugs in for power...really handy..
Has a wireless 7 pin plug that goes into Motor Home plug and sends signal to towmate
As I send before,I take towmate off roof and put i Cherokee along with plug to keep...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:07 AM   #10

Thanks to all for some very helpful information.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #11

We are using the TowMate RV bar. LED, remote transmitter plugs into trailer plug on RV, cig lighter plug powers light bar, magnetic. Highly recommend them, much simpler than wiring the new vehicles. I wired our last toad myself but it was a '09 Honda Fit, fairly simple. The newer the vehicle the larger the challenge - go with the TowMate RV LED bar. I also had to use an add-on battery for this trip, just set up my '18 Subaru Forester w/manual tranny for tow. Had some issues with charge line and power to outlets in vehicle so I built a battery box with a BattleBorn 100AH LFP inside, charger on top. I can tow 4 days before recharge. Then when boondocked I just use the battery box to run the CPAP. Recharge time for the Battle Born LFP is about 15-30 minutes to 0 amps charge using the PD9145LV charger made for lithium. After 4 days running the Brake Buddy and light bar I'm reading 13.3 - 13.2vdc at the LFP battery box. The Roadmaster plate mounted easily on the Suby. For grins the '18 Suby Forester tows better than anything we have towed over the years and teenagers will never steal it - they can't drive a manual tranny
kayak70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:38 PM   #12

I use them towing my 2018 Ford Focus and love them. Much simpler than wiring in the harness to use the cars lights.
cabhrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:00 PM   #13
Dom

I removed the trim at the back inside of my Jeep. Now my magnetic wireless light stick on upside down and are visible through rear window. This makes they theft proof.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:59 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just curious, if you mount them upside down, don't you have to rotate them to face out? If they're rotated, are the left-right turn signals reversed, or is there a reversing switch on the light?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
I removed the trim at the back inside of my Jeep. Now my magnetic wireless light stick on upside down and are visible through rear window. This makes they theft proof.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, tow, towing