Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2019, 04:05 PM   #1

Dues Increase

I just received an email from Jon Walker, FMCA President, that stated that our membership is going up to $75 per year starting August 31, 2019. It seems to be about a raise in premiums for the Seven Corners emergency return policy. Since I already have that service included in my insurance, I won't be renewing my membership that I have had for 20 years. This may be the end of FMCA.
Sadly,
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2019, 04:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have always renewed for 5 years. The last time was in Sept. 2014 and I paid $160. When FMCA opened their membership to all I decided not to renew next month. This fee increase makes it easier not to renew. RIP FMCA

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:25 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think $75 for the benefits are worth it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I have always renewed for 5 years. The last time was in Sept. 2014 and I paid $160. When FMCA opened their membership to all I decided not to renew next month. This fee increase makes it easier not to renew. RIP FMCA

Yeah, can't have any of we slumming Class C, Class A gassers, or, goddess forbid, anything towed amongst the ethereal DP owners.

As Groucho Marx would tell you, never join a club that allows the likes of yourself as a member.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana journey View Post
I just received an email from Jon Walker, FMCA President, that stated that our membership is going up to $75 per year starting August 31, 2019. It seems to be about a raise in premiums for the Seven Corners emergency return policy. Since I already have that service included in my insurance, I won't be renewing my membership that I have had for 20 years. This may be the end of FMCA.
Sadly,
Indiana Journey
I got the same email today. My membership is good until Jan of 2020. I will probably renew because I just bought their roadside assistance plan. $75 is not too bad but if it goes up again I may have to rethink.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:06 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Twenty years in and an extra $15 is the end of the road?

I don't use any of FMCA's services, but I wouldn't drop them over this, or the addition of towables.

Wait, I do use their RV Insurance service. Works great and saves me about 5 years of $15 increases every year. So, no problem.

If $15 extra was a problem I probably wouldn't be able to be an RVer.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:15 PM   #7

I don't get it...

First, if the beef is with FMCA why are you posting here and not on the FMCA forum where the powers that be can easily see your complaint. Or better yet, how about just picking up the phone and calling the FMCA office and talking to the membership director one-on-one.

Second, with all the expenses we face owning and maintaining an RV, I don't see how an increase of just a few dollars is enough to send someone running after a 20-year membership run.

I saw the note about the increase today, and it seems pretty clear that they were either going to raise the dues or have to drop a valuable benefit. Getting your motor home returned should the driver be unable to continue driving due to health problems seems like a good thing, and since many don't have that included in their insurance I don't really see as a death nail for FMCA.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:46 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was looking for a thread on FMCA and I guess I found it. Here are a few questions for John and the organization...
1.- Why not have a 10 year renewal (no discount) membership? Although it wouldn't exceed the increase, it keeps the membership numbers up which what has always been discussed. If you would just approve it and ask for our help, I bet a good number of us would comply with your request.
2.- Thanks for sending me the note on the same day it increased? Checked the .jpg on your notice and the full letter doesn't even have a date on it?
3.- My number is F-17647-S (Son) which I am pretty proud of. My parents and grandparents were members waaaay back in the 1970's.
4.- I don't study FMCA daily, but if one benefit is going up substantially, make it an option and don't "nick" everyone with an increase. I can PROMISE you if I was ill, no one in my family would call for this service.
5.- Truthfully, I don't care about the extra $$$, but if I ran my business this way I probably wouldn't be in business.
6.- Questions? Call me (479) 806-1515 Eric Turnquist ad we can discuss it John.
Arkie_ENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:16 PM   #9
NXR

I'm happy they're keeping that benefit because there were discussions about dropping it. I've never needed it (yet) but none of us are getting any younger. The increase is almost the price of one haircut and i need those every three weeks.

Ray
Old 08-30-2019, 03:26 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
When FMCA changed their membership policy last year to include all RVers, not just MH's, I thought one of the reasons they gave was higher costs of some programs have been going up and they needed the extra money new members represented. Obviously opening the doors to new members didn't compensate.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:46 PM   #11

I keep my membership just for the Seven Corners service, however if that ever goes away I see no reason to keep it at any cost.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:48 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I think $75 for the benefits are worth it.
We travel several months out of the year. Having the FMCA Assist is worth the dues. Friends on vacation, DH had heart attack. FMCA Assist provide ambulance service to a waiting Lear Jet 125 medically equipped and staffed, flew them both back home. Paid for their RV, TOAD and dog to be returned to their home. Not one penny out of their pocket.

Just how much is that type of insurance worth.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:15 PM   #13

I dropped FMCA because of their arrogant web site/sub group managers. If you weren't part of the "in" group, you were dirt and would be told how things were going to be run. Yes, I'm talking about the Beaver MH group and the old Cat Engine Group that was opened to be an any engine group. When you decide to tell me what my screen name has to be, and then you change it when I don't, that's over the line.

And yes, I also talked to the membership head, gave names and dates. She promised to look into that for me and get back to me. That would be about 3 years ago now and I haven't heard back yet.

FMCA is an elitist self centered group. I wouldn't belong again if the dues were free.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:55 PM   #14

I'm one of those long time FMCA members with an F number (gained in 1995) of F189790. We have a motorhome. I've taken driving lessons but I am not comfortable driving our 40 foot Newmar. If there is a problem with hubby's health I am confident FMCA (via Seven Corners FMCAssist) will get our rig back home. Members of our 4x4 Chapter have needed and benefited from this service!

I sat through the Governing Board "pre meeting" and the 9 hour Board meeting as an observer. Seven Corners, the provider of this service raised rates over 70% and gave such notice well after a draft of FMCA budget was presented. I too was concerned with FMCA Dues increase. BUT when/if presented with the option of getting our rig home for the additional cost $25 over present dues, I decided it was a benefit that we wanted. Insurance is a peace of mind issue.

My recent observations with FMCA is that the staff has become more computer savy, bringing the organization to a more up to date experience. Elected Executive Board members are VOLUNTEERS. So my advise to critiques of policies ......You are free to run for office.
bbrewer841 is offline   Reply With Quote