Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Clubs & Associations > Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA)
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Road Directions From Houston to Dawson Ck

Looking for driving directions for 43' coach from Houston , Tx. to Dawson, creek BC. Anyone driven this route to Alaska?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #2

Cross the border in MT and head north thru Edmonton, Grand Prairie and over toward Prince George.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #3

I'm sure 1/4 of the Class A coach owners in Texas have covered that route at one time or another.
Pulled into an RV park at Jasper N.P. 5 years back and the was a convoy of 25 Texas Class A's in the park.
So I'm sure you'll get good info soon .
Somewhere I have the Canadian Government link for road and weather , I'll track it down and re-post.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Cross the border in MT and head north thru Edmonton, Grand Prairie and over toward Prince George.
Don , once your in Grand Prairie , Dawson Creek , is the next town on route, north. Prince George , would be south .
But as Don says , route through Alberta is more direct.

link for Canadian weather forecasts.
http://weather.gc.ca

give me a min. to test this, usually takes me three tries to post a link.
Ok , it works , I'll find the road conditions site, too.
EDIT:
Links to help with your Canadian road travels
http://www.drivebc.ca
http://511alberta.ca
http://travelalberta.com
If ,I find the Yukon site , I'll post that.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
All depends what you are looking for.

I let my GPS calculate a route from Houston to Dawson Creek. It showed the most direct route crossing the US/Canada border at Coutts.

There is lots of great country to see no matter which way you go however a lot of your route depends upon what you want to see. I will leave the US leg for you to work out.

Once you are in Canada (crossing at Coutts) there are a few of my favorite things to see.

Head up to Lethbridge and then head west on Hwy 3 (still on the GPS route). The GPS will want to take you up Hwy 2 to Calgary (home of the Calgary Stampede). If you are there in July and interested in rodeo this is the place for you to stop for a few days.

Calgary has a number of attractions and would be good to spend a day or so. Calaway Park if you like amusement rides or have the grandchildren along as well as the Calgary Zoo are places to see.

The road (Hwy 2) to Calgary is fairly flat and twinned so good going.

I would continue west from Fort Macleod towards Crowsnest Pass. You will encounter several provincial attractions (Fort Macleod - RCMP fort from the early days of the police with musical ride re-enactments; Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump - world heritage site of one of the largest and best preserved buffalo jump used by natives for approximately 6000 years; Frank Slide - approximately 90 million tons of limestone slid into the town of Frank in 1903. You can view the mountain and the interpretive center.)

Return east of Blairmore and take HWY 22 north. There will be some moderate grades but this is a good road with mountain views while driving in the foothills.

When you get to Hwy 1 you will be on the east side of Calgary. (See above for notes on Calgary).

If not head west on Hwy 1 towards Banff National Park (fee required family group $20 per day). This will take you into the Rocky Mountains. You could take a look at the town of Banff but it is very busy in the summer. Banff is well known for its Summer Arts Festival. (may be good to take the toad into town)

Head on west to Lake Louise. A trip up to the Chateau Lake Louise is of interest. Glacier coming down to a lovely lake with a CP hotel on the lake. Beautiful scenery. (may be good to park in the town site and take the toad, parking at the hotel is limited)

Now head up Hwy 93 on the Icefields Parkway. One of the most scenic highways in North America. Two lane highway but reduced speeds so should not be a stressful drive. National Geographic has named it one of the 20 drives of a lifetime. There are restrictions on commercial traffic so other than tourist buses you will not meet any or few semi trailers. Be prepared to stop often when possible to take pictures and admire the views. I love traveling this highway on my motorcycle.

When you get to Jasper take Hwy 16 east towards Hinton. On the west side of Hinton take Hwy 40 north towards Grande Prairie. Another lovely drive through foothills and along the edge of the mountains.

Once you get to Grande Prairie it is not too much farther to Dawson Creek, Mile 0 of the Alaska Highway. Then on to Alaska.

On your return if you head on down to Edmonton you can go to the largest shopping mall in North America.

Have a great trip.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:16 PM   #6

North.....go North.....
Drumheller - Royal Tyrrell Museum - Royal Tyrrell Museum
Fort MacLeod - Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump - Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump World Heritage Site
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDriv View Post
North.....go North.....
Drumheller - Royal Tyrrell Museum - Royal Tyrrell Museum
Fort MacLeod - Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump - Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump World Heritage Site
4 months since the original post ; weather starting to turn in the north , I'm hoping he's home safe after a wonderful trip.