Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Are there jobs for single workampers?

I will be going fulltime in either May or September 2012 and I am researching jobs now. I have realized that most campgrounds want couples, two workers for one site. I love people so don't want to spend all my time alone. I'm willing to work hard either inside or out. I'll even do two part time jobs if needed but have to get some pay to cover food and auto insurance. Would love to stay on the east coast but I actually enjoy winter weather so don't need the choice locations. Any hints to help me land a position?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #2

I see numerous advertisements for one worker, stating if the other person of a couple wants to share the work they will work the same amount of hours as one worker; ie: 35 hours total. I don't know if that helps.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #3

I have had to go as a single since my husband can't work anymore. I have to work all the hours myself, which is fine for me. Since you need some pay, I would go for the resorts, amusement parks, etc. During the summer it is much easier to find work for site plus wages. Winter time is harder, but they are there.

What you have to do is look for a jobs that sound good and even if it says couples - send your resume and/or contact them anyway. That is what I did for my job this summer and the one I will do in the winter. I will return here next summer - not sure after that. It will depend on how my husband's health is.

Remember: just cause it says couples does not mean they are not open to singles.

Workamper News is a good place to find work. The following site is a new one which is where I found my winter job: Help Wanted for RV Parks and Campgrounds. You can also post a 'work wanted' on that site for free.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That question was ask last spring by someone who wished to work-camp in the Upstate South Carolina area... Turns out there were no openings for her there.. however just across the GA state line. She is the host at a "Day Camp" (This campground only has two RV sites Hers and her partner's) Core of Engineers park.

Now.. that is the only one I know of, because she's the only single work-camper who I have ever chatted with... You may find many othres out there.

Generally most work-camp jobs are "Free parking in exchange for xx hours a week"

Now, you, yourself, can work xx or you can work xx/2 and your partner/spouse xx/2 or any way you want to break it up.. Need not be a couple.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi-

Too bad you're not ready to go right now!
Here's one in Texas that could be for a single:http://www.irv2.com/forums/f89/offfi...tx-104703.html

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Wow! You guys are great. Wish I could take off now but our busiest season at the veterinary office is Jan. through April and I really want to train my replacement. My tow vehicle will also be paid off by then which is important. Original fulltiming date was Sept. 2012 but I could go in May for the right job. I would love to work for KOA, I just really like the social aspect of a busy campground. The employees I've talked to at the KOAs I've gone to are happy with their jobs and many return year after year. I joined their workamper website and there are lots of jobs but mostly all want couples or people that have experience with their computer system. It's getting the first job that's hard. I did find a solo position for Oct 2012 on a farm working with animals. I love the job description but not sure about being the only workamper far from civilization. Amazon is another short term possibility. I just don't know if I can physically handle the long hours on my feet. Might be a good weight loss program though . Would love to hear of your experiences and thanks again for your help, Kathleen
Old 10-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #7

As I said - keep looking. If you see one you like, unless it specifically says 'couples only', then apply. If you want to work for KOA then call the park. Be proactive in your search cause being single can take more work. Just don't give up or think they are not out there. In time more will 'pop' out at you.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:51 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Success! I found the perfect job for me at a KOA and will be an official fulltimer as of May. I even get to work with dogs as they have a dog park and doggy day care. Have already started the downsizing process, It's amazing how much stuff you can accumulate even in a small apartment.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #9

That is great to hear. Did they advertise for singles or did you apply to the couples add asking them to consider a single?

Welcome to the work of Workamping and may you have years of enjoying it.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:44 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The job did mention that there was a position open for a spouse but didn't indicate a preference. Thank you for your good wishes.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #11

I wish you well, but...................why do you post my picture as your aviatar?
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:59 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I wish you well, but...................why do you post my picture as your aviatar?
LOL, you are such a glamor girl!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hey, Mick

How come that pic wasn't in the group you put up for us in the "Sea Stories" thread ?

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodancer View Post
I will be going fulltime in either May or September 2012 and I am researching jobs now. I have realized that most campgrounds want couples, two workers for one site. I love people so don't want to spend all my time alone. I'm willing to work hard either inside or out. I'll even do two part time jobs if needed but have to get some pay to cover food and auto insurance. Would love to stay on the east coast but I actually enjoy winter weather so don't need the choice locations. Any hints to help me land a position?
I have a spouse who can't work much due to his health so I am going to be the only one working when we go out. We will be part timers hopefully staying out for 2-3 months at a time at least to start. Longer later as we acclimate to the lifestyle and see if it will be a good fit for us.

Hopefully, there is something out there for us when we get to hit the road. Right now though we can't plan ahead. We are shopping for a used Class A to replace our current travel trailer and need to find the right unit at the right price so it may be a few months. So for now, I am surfing this forum and getting ideas and suggestions.

Shelle
shelle007 is offline   Reply With Quote