Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Habitat For Humanity Care-a-vanners programs

iRV2 members volunteer their time and energy in support of Habitat For Humanitys RV Care-A-Vanner program. They travel north America in their RVs to help build housing for families in need as make great friends along the way.

Anyone can become an RV Care-A-Vanner, no experience is needed and so as a way to help, iRV2 has set up this new forum area to help spread the word and to enable folks to share information about this wonderful program.

You can read more about this program here: https://www.habitat.org/volunteer/tr...care-a-vanners

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We've had some threads on this in the past. I think it is a great way for RV'rs to help those less fortunate. I'm happy iRV2 is supporting this program.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:58 AM   #3

HFH is a good organization. I have talked to Mary Vanderveldt about setting up a page for RV'ers to discuss their experience and advise on particular HFH builds/locations with no success. Maybe this forum would be a good place to discuss pros/cons at particular builds such as large MH site friendly, dog friendly.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
HFH is a good organization. I have talked to Mary Vanderveldt about setting up a page for RV'ers to discuss their experience and advise on particular HFH builds/locations with no success. Maybe this forum would be a good place to discuss pros/cons at particular builds such as large MH site friendly, dog friendly.
Have her contact me if she wants to do that. We actually had a forum section dedicated to this for a year or more but it was underused and the folks at HFH never returned my contacts to them about it. We could set it up again IF they would actually use it.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:31 PM   #5

I know this is an older thread, but my wife and I were introduced to HFH through Xscapers 2 years ago. It was a great experience. Since then we have committed to try and do 2 volunteer opportunities each year.

My only negative, and most won't agree, is that they recently started doing background checks under the guise it's for the "safety" of us/everyone.

Now, I don't have anything negative that would be in a background check, but I am concerned that these organizations are getting information that they don't need and that could compromise my life (data breach). Also, I don't need someone's protection.

When organizations typically make rules for the "safety" or "welfare", to me, those are just code/buzz words for, "we don't want to get sued, so we are covering our 6."

This year alone, I have had 4 background checks, two of which I had to pay for. Enough with the data sharing already!

So because of this, we are looking for other volunteer opportunities that are not so bureaucratic. Soup line, helping elderly, etc.

Hope this doesn't discourage people from volunteering, but thought I would share.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #6

I have volunteered for many National Parks, State Parks and Private Campgrounds. They always require a background check. It is a position where by you would have contact with the general public and the employer needs to assure that you have a clean record. It is also easy to go online and run a check on anyone for a small fee. Many in the online dating world do as such. It is now very common. Your info is already on the Net and available to anyone who is willing to pay a small fee.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:42 AM   #7

Yea, but to swing a hammer??
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:02 PM   #8

Background Checks

My understanding from the folks at the Habitat for Humanity RV Care-A-Vanner desk is that the background checks come back as a "yes" or "no". So I don't think the local affiliates nor the folks at Habitat International receive any of our personal data.

If you still have questions or concerns, please contact the RV Care-A-Vanner desk:
rvinfodesk@habitat.org
229-410-7534 or 1-800-Habitat x7534
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I have volunteered for many National Parks, State Parks and Private Campgrounds. They always require a background check. It is a position where by you would have contact with the general public and the employer needs to assure that you have a clean record. It is also easy to go online and run a check on anyone for a small fee. Many in the online dating world do as such. It is now very common. Your info is already on the Net and available to anyone who is willing to pay a small fee.

Most of that is true. I don't have an issue with a single background check. But everytime I want to buy something or get a seasonal job, I get background checked. You can't change the past, so let's have one background check and be done with the snooping. Then have a list that says this guy already had a check and it was good. No need for another...maybe every 5 years or so to keep it updated. And I don't want to pay $$ for it....they want it, they can pay for it. not sure why every law has to turn into a capital making money scheme.

Also, the idea that we have come to accept that people/businesses/entities can have/share/sell my personal data is not right. I hope people will start standing up for themselves and just say no.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:34 AM   #10

I guess I can agree on most points.
And yes it is all about liability. If they
Hire you and you go postal on them they
can get sued. And seeing as it's to protect
them..they should certainly pay for it. You
Took the time diesel and food to get there
To "volunteer".. you shouldn't have to pay for that privilege. To cover their end.
I haven't been asked to pay yet.
But if I did it would be a bone of contention.
And probably a deal breaker for me. Its the principle not background chk.
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
I know this is an older thread, but my wife and I were introduced to HFH through Xscapers 2 years ago. It was a great experience. Since then we have committed to try and do 2 volunteer opportunities each year.

My only negative, and most won't agree, is that they recently started doing background checks under the guise it's for the "safety" of us/everyone.

Now, I don't have anything negative that would be in a background check, but I am concerned that these organizations are getting information that they don't need and that could compromise my life (data breach). Also, I don't need someone's protection.

When organizations typically make rules for the "safety" or "welfare", to me, those are just code/buzz words for, "we don't want to get sued, so we are covering our 6."

This year alone, I have had 4 background checks, two of which I had to pay for. Enough with the data sharing already!

So because of this, we are looking for other volunteer opportunities that are not so bureaucratic. Soup line, helping elderly, etc.

Hope this doesn't discourage people from volunteering, but thought I would share.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodosgood View Post
My understanding from the folks at the Habitat for Humanity RV Care-A-Vanner desk is that the background checks come back as a "yes" or "no". So I don't think the local affiliates nor the folks at Habitat International receive any of our personal data.

If you still have questions or concerns, please contact the RV Care-A-Vanner desk:
rvinfodesk@habitat.org
229-410-7534 or 1-800-Habitat x7534
woodosgood provided very useful information. In addition, the background check is performed at no cost to the volunteer. The only thing Habitat receives from the company that performs the background check is YES or NO as mentioned above.

I contacted RV CAV via the email shown above. The response I received is shown below:

"All habitat receives is a pass or fail. None of the personal info you share on the background check application is provided to Habitat. If someone fails there is an appeal procedure handled by a Habitat for Humanity attorney. Pass or fail is based on a point system so a minor offense does not carry as many points as a felony. This is done by the background check provider not Habitat. Someone who is a sex offender would fail. The background check does not include a credit check. Only partner families (the person buying the Habitat house) undergo a credit check. All of this is explained in the FAQ link on the background check application that is sent to the volunteer."
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:58 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Be sure to watch the latest RV Care-A-Vanner promotional video (only two minutes) on YouTube video link below:

If you want to receive the monthly newsletter click on the link below, scroll down, near the bottom or the page, enter your email address and click Subscribe:

https://www.habitat.org/volunteer/tr...care-a-vanners
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote