Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #1

Have you been to N.D. looking for work or visit?

It looks like alot of people are moving to N.D. looking for work in the oil boom. Just wondering if anybody on here has been to N.D. looking job or just to visit?

Thanks, Bob
Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #2

I was born/raised in Manitoba, we shipped their weather south. Winters are brutal. Jobs? Lots, places to live ... not so much. No idea what's available vis a vis RV parks but I can make an easy guess. And these things are not set up to handle 30 degree below zero weather.

Just thoughts, just thoughts.
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #3

We can back to Iowa in June after living in a 23.5' 5th wheel with all the other people living in trailers. My husband worked for a chemical company as Safety Director for a year in the Oil Patch. Lot of people looking for work and a place to live in order to work. Lot of nice people and not so nice people. The cost of housing has driven a lot of retirees out because everyone got greedy. It's the Wild West. Guns and mace are hot commodities. My boss sent all of us girls to self defense last where got to beat up a 250 lbs. cop. We were fortunate that we could come home to a better job and our home.
sadiebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #4

i live in Bis ND and own a hobby shop...there are so many jobs here you can not imagine..evrey place has help wanted signs...my shop gets lots of bussiness from the oil workers as they get 6 figures regularly...but its hard work for some...jeff
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #5

Can someone live in a Arctic Fox 32-5S 5th wheel camper year round in N.D. without any problems? Will take alot of propane to heat it?
Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
Can someone live in a Arctic Fox 32-5S 5th wheel camper year round in N.D. without any problems? Will take alot of propane to heat it?
In three words: 'I doubt it.' Unless you go through a heck of a insulation retrofit of the open areas you'll have frozen pipes in days. You may well have to install heat sources in any area(s) that have water/pipes under the unit.

Before I'd try winter in ND I'd check with the coach manufacturer to see what 'R-ratings' (insulation factor) are for same, etc.

As for propane, it will be a major 'on budget' item. You may well want to rent a large exterior NG tank and hook that up to the unit. At the least you'll need several extra 7 gallon bottles you can swap out. Use the built in one for emergency purposes only.
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
Try ndindoorrvpark.com there is an indoor RV park in ND just park it inside.
Marty&Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #8

I was interested in what this sort of accommodations would cost. But when I click on their link for fees my browser can't find the site.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
Commercial Member

You can also check into the cheap heat system. It hooks up to the gas heater and runs on electric . You can also install an extra duct to handle heating the under belly water tank and water line area. If you loose electricity you can flip a switch and heat with gas. This would be the first mod if I was thinking of moving to ND. I made this mod and loving it. Good luck!!!!!
Paw John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I was interested in what this sort of accommodations would cost. But when I click on their link for fees my browser can't find the site.
$1250 per month and that includes a heated bay, electricity, propane hookup, water and sewer not a bad deal considering the heat factor!
Marty
Marty&Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No class A's allowed. 5th wheels and campers only.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:58 AM   #12
Commercial Member

I hope everybody had a very Merry Christmas and stay safe for the New Year.
Paw John is offline   Reply With Quote