Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Help me convince a friend

I have dear friends, Polly and Skip, who run a primate sanctuary near Longview, WA.

Home

It is set on 28 gorgeous acres and houses about 35 monkeys and is growing. This is where Sena will live out her life should she outlive me.

I have mentioned to Polly that this would be an ideal place for volunteer workcampers, especially during the summer months. Temperatures stay in the 70's most days from June - October. Not ever having been an RVer she is hesitant -- not knowing, as we all do, the character of people who accept volunteer workcamping positions. Although she has a handful of wonderfull local volunteers, most have been young people working off community service hours.

Please help me find the right words to help Polly understand what she will be getting into. You can reply here, send me a private message, or email Polly directly from the OPR website. Just tell her Barb sent you.

I would park there for the summer if not for Sena and Lily. They would have to be caged or leashed full-time (for their own safety) and that's just not fair. OPR monkeys are caged, but Sena and Lily are VERY clever about getting where they shouldn't be and an accident could be devastating for one of my 8 pound furkids.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'm sure there are lots of great RVers that would love to workcamp with the animals. And I can say I've never met an RVer that I didn't like and trust. Outdoorsy, social and responsible people! I'm thinking that might be the route I'd like to go when we are retired, as we want to make a difference while enjoying our traveling.
KRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to TripleE
You might take her to a couple of local campgrounds and talk to the camphosts there. She can ask them whatever quesions she has and get to know people firsthand. Also, does she have a place for a workcamper to park and hookup at the facility or would they have to park somewhere else and pay for a site?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #4

There may be liability issues involved with these animals...both form the animal side and the human side. Need to take a long look at that before anyone takes care of anything
RetiredFPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That has already been addressed. They have paid employees and volunteers working at the sanctuary.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFPD View Post
There may be liability issues involved with these animals...both form the animal side and the human side. Need to take a long look at that before anyone takes care of anything
How uplifting
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote