Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:10 PM   #1

Maybe workkamping is more work than it should be...

I have some friends that have been workkampers (camp hosts) for a number of summer seasons at large private and government parks.
Their first few years were great, they really enjoyed it and couldn't say enough good things about it. Their host duties were what you'd expect - directing people to their site, selling firewood, making sure sites were in order after campers depart, keeping the peace after hours (really just telling folks to pipe down after a complaint) and, driving a golf cart around keeping an eye on things. Nothing too difficult or time consuming.

Last year, they said, everything changed, and they've sworn off hosting for the near future. So what changed?

Last year they say was the hardest and most time consuming season yet. It appears, to them at least, that COVID brought an onslaught of totally unprepared rookies out into the camping world. For them, it was not uncommon to have people knocking on their door after 11 asking for assistance in finding their site. Folks would be unboxing their tent after arrival and looking for help pitching it. People had no clue how to hook up the power and water to their RV. It was painful watching the rookies trying to back into their first ever campsite.

I can't say as I blame them for not hosting for a while - the deluge of rookies will end sooner or later - either they're learn what needs to be done and when to do it or they'll give up on "that stupid camping idea we had" the year of the quarantine...
NomadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2021, 12:15 PM   #2

We were camp Hosts for a State Park in Wis..and yes at 12:00 midnight a guy knocked on our door and complained girls were rounding around his tent and he could not sleep. I called the police and went back to bed.
RJRVTRAVEL10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:19 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What changed was COVID closing down the full service all inclusive resort areas, Caribbean cruising, restaurants and limiting national and closing some international air travel so a lot of people switched over to camping as an alternative. Lot of places still have some heavy travel restrictions. Hawaii being a prime example with pretests and prearrival registrations.

It may take a season or two to settle out or maybe it won't. There's also Darwin and Murphy to help thin the herd some.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRider View Post
I have some friends that have been workkampers (camp hosts) for a number of summer seasons at large private and government parks.
Their first few years were great, they really enjoyed it and couldn't say enough good things about it. Their host duties were what you'd expect - directing people to their site, selling firewood, making sure sites were in order after campers depart, keeping the peace after hours (really just telling folks to pipe down after a complaint) and, driving a golf cart around keeping an eye on things. Nothing too difficult or time consuming.

Last year, they said, everything changed, and they've sworn off hosting for the near future. So what changed?

Last year they say was the hardest and most time consuming season yet. It appears, to them at least, that COVID brought an onslaught of totally unprepared rookies out into the camping world. For them, it was not uncommon to have people knocking on their door after 11 asking for assistance in finding their site. Folks would be unboxing their tent after arrival and looking for help pitching it. People had no clue how to hook up the power and water to their RV. It was painful watching the rookies trying to back into their first ever campsite.

I can't say as I blame them for not hosting for a while - the deluge of rookies will end sooner or later - either they're learn what needs to be done and when to do it or they'll give up on "that stupid camping idea we had" the year of the quarantine...

Last Fall while stating at a beautiful C.G. on the Snake River , Idaho , the DW and I met the host and his wife .

As luck would have it , we started talking about Covid and it's repercussions .

Wow , did he have some pent-up frustrations .

The C.G. was owned by a large corporation . The corporation , in it's infinite wisdom decided Covid would have a big negative impact on business , so they laid off all the hourly help for last season .

The hosts were suddenly not only the C.G.'s Host's , but required to fill in as managers , grounds keepers , general maintenance and on call 24/7 to deal with all the newbie's.

He said their plans were to travel this year until things settle down .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:18 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We donít camp host. At all. Period.
In fact, since I started working well over 50 years ago, I learned pretty damn quickly to strenuously avoid ANY job that required a lot of dealing directly with the public.

🤯
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:03 PM   #6

I work at a National Park and last year was challenging. We were well staffed and everyone's duties well defined, but keeping things running smoothly required more effort than in the past. Going back this year and I feel as if I am better prepared just not fully staffed. You are always going to have "less than informed" campers and to me that's part of the fun.
Tridot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We campground hosted for about 6 years and have given it up. We have seen a big change in the attitude of the campers as well as the campground staff. Many of the public campgrounds have had funding cut for staff and maintenance and are expecting the host or volunteers to pick up the slack. Campgrounds have pushed the hour requirements up for the campsite.

A few of the campers have horrible bathroom hygiene habits, I would surely hope they do better in their own homes. Having to shovel poop out of the showers at 9 PM is not my idea of fun. They use the fire ring or grill for a garbage pit. Food and diapers are left in the fire ring.

When we asked one lady to corral the kids candy wrappers as they were blowing into the adjacent site, she told us that picking up trash was the rangers job. Just a few of the ignorant things we encountered.

Most campers are pretty good, but it does not take many to spoil the experience for others.

Ken
Old 03-20-2021, 08:06 AM   #8

I retired for a reason and it was not to work part time for less than minimum wage. If I needed to work to pay my bills I would have stayed where I was. Glad this works for me but I know it does not for everyone. Work camping makes retirement work for many and for them I am happy. Life is short and we should all figure out a way to enjoy the days we have. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 03-24-2021, 09:28 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Why is it that most folks think that if you volunteer you must volunteer at a campground. We've been on the road for eight years now and have been successful in avoiding anything to do with the camping public. Don't folks know about opportunities like National Wildlife Refuges, BLM and places like that?
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:10 AM   #10

I do see a profound change in the attitude of the new campers. Although, some that venture out into the pristine wild are respectful, many are lacking in common sense and etiquette when it comes to camping.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:28 AM   #11

I realized many years ago I did not have the required patience to deal with the general public.
I can hardly contain myself standing in line behind some fool let alone have to coddle them.
So We did not ever camp host........

Watched many Camp Hosts having to deal with way too many smucks during our travels. And the level of stupid seemed to rise exponentially year by year

I retired from a very well paid job........why would I work at 'hosting' while FTng.
We hit the road to Travel...not park and work

Kudos to those folks that do Camp Hosts...we meet many that were top notch.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:54 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
We donít camp host. At all. Period.
In fact, since I started working well over 50 years ago, I learned pretty damn quickly to strenuously avoid ANY job that required a lot of dealing directly with the public.

Amen to that.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:55 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
We have done this for a while - It is all about your attitude and what you make it. Remember we are Not law Enforcement and Sometimes unless it is an emergency, do not call 911.
One of the real things to remember - You Can Always Leave and find another position. No one is making you stay. You can make the Campground Great or a bad experience for everyone. You have to know where and when to make a stand or a battle. If you make a battle - You Will Loose and be asked to leave, as it is about the paying customers.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote

« Winter Position | - »