Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:20 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Requirement for Resume, OK, but what is the rational for a photo of you and RV?

Many of the jobs require you to send in a RESUME along with a photo of you and your RV.

Now no one would dispute the Resume is used to look at your work history and qualifications for doing the job that is being posted, but just in my opinion the photo of you and your RV? What do they look at a photo and think, oh they look to old, or are too fat, that rig looks too old. Don't tell me that isn't pre-judging a person for the qualification to do the job.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2017, 07:23 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I have never had a job request a photo much less one of me and my RV. What if you don't own an RV? If anything, that request is grounds for a discrimination lawsuit. Unless you are trying to get a job for a commercial or something.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Many of the jobs require you to send in a RESUME along with a photo of you and your RV.

Now no one would dispute the Resume is used to look at your work history and qualifications for doing the job that is being posted, but just in my opinion the photo of you and your RV? What do they look at a photo and think, oh they look to old, or are too fat, that rig looks too old. Don't tell me that isn't pre-judging a person for the qualification to do the job.
We see it all the time. I get wanting to see photos of the rv for some postions where the rv can be viewed by the general public.

Asking for photo of the couple really grinds my gears.
I want to know what are they looking for? Skin color? short hair? make sure not overweight? I have been very tempted to use a stock couple photo and then when we show up just tell them it was an old photo........sorry.
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv-seniors-happy-retirement-10686546.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	171480
No we look nothing like this couple in this random stock photo i found online.

I have no problem with asking if both in the couple have any medical issues that prevent them from doing some work like lifting 25lbs, bending, squatting and such to weed out those unable to do the work.......just think doing it based on a photo is the wrong way to go about it.....

So those of us who do not look like the avg 70 year wonderbread workcamper figure those photo requests are nothing more than making sure we "look like" the right people for the job (see stock photo). On the other hand i think maybe we have got a foot in the door on some positions based on not looking like the cookie cutter rver..........We tend to send along a link to the blog my wife keeps (see sig block) to give an future employer a chance to snoop around a bit and hopefully let us know to keep looking elsewhere early in the process or make an offer.

While it annoys me so many do it, I have learned to either not apply to positions that ask for them or if it is area/position i want just bite my tounge and apply.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
So we are not alone on this issue.

As Vanion2 said, sounds like it would be grounds for a lawsuit. Not that we plan to do that but we have seen this as a requirement over and over again on postings for a long time.

Certainly the folks who want to fill the position want to get the best fit for what they are looking for and they perhaps get a lot of applications but how does the fact my rig being 10 years old make me any less of a qualified person than someone with a 2017 Foretravel?

And you can't tell me that someone who carries a few extra pounds of weight or more gray hair less able to do outside work than someone 10 years younger and lighter.

I owned a landscaping, tree, mowing and snow removal business. Working 15 hours a day in hot weather. I know hard work. I still work hard and so does my wife with physical labor so photo's I think are a crock. Good to see I am not the only one with this opinion
Old 08-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I would not want to be the attorney defending the campground owners from a discriminatory hiring complaint. I can see requesting a rig picture to make sure it wouldn't be embarrassing in their park, but pictures of the applicants crosses a line.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
I would not want to be the attorney defending the campground owners from a discriminatory hiring complaint. I can see requesting a rig picture to make sure it wouldn't be embarrassing in their park, but pictures of the applicants crosses a line.
Asking about if they have any health conditions is also a MAJOR no-no and can very likely get EEOC on you! You can certainly have lifting or other physical requirements of the job listed, but you cannot ask about health conditions. I was a hiring manager until recently, HR put us through the wringer about what we could or could not ask or require.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:58 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Photos

If you apply for a position IN PERSON the employer gets to take a look at you. Why would you object to sending a photo when applying for a long distance job? Why would you ASSUME it is so they can discriminate against you and or your home? If it offends you either don't apply or ask them for a picture of themselves and their home.

I for one like to see who I am communicating with. As far as the photo of your RV, they could just ask for the make, model, year and look up a picture on line. It wouldn't tell them how well you maintain it but it would give them and idea of the size, slides etc. in case there are site issues.

I've never hired anyone sight unseen .... have you?
jsetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:27 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanion2 View Post
I have never had a job request a photo much less one of me and my RV. What if you don't own an RV? If anything, that request is grounds for a discrimination lawsuit. Unless you are trying to get a job for a commercial or something.
The OP is talking about work camping positions.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
The OP is talking about work camping positions.
There was no indication of this in his post which is what I responded to.

And even if that is the case they would have to list it as a requirement in the job description. Of course, some of the campgrounds I have been too I have seen some shabby looking camp hosts' RVs but the owners were down right friendly. I have also seen some nice RVs were the hosts were definitely not welcoming either. So pictures of the person(s) and the RV would be irrelevant. The interview should be the determining factor.

I hate the PC and litigation state of mind our country has become and I don't advocate that as a solution for every misconstrued wrong doing that people come up with. I was just merely pointing out that the picture should not be required on an application. The world isn't fair but a picture doesn't tell you anything about a potential employee that are legitimate grounds for not hiring. Interviews should be done based on qualifications because you could go to an RV lot, stand next to a brand new Class A, smile pretty and then roll up in your 1975 Winnebago class C to the campground and your employer can't legally do anything about it because you could say the class A was a lemon and the Winnebago was the only loaner the dealership currently had available. Seriously, pictures are pretty much worthless in today's photo shopped, selfie infatuated world.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Work Camping Positions

Yes, I am talking about Work Camping Positions. This is the title of the Tab I posted in so I just took it you all would understand that even if I did not spell it out.

However, on the subject of working/employment. One of options I have also considered is working at a Home Depot part time near one of the Campgrounds where we are on a list to stay at. And, Home Depot could care less about me sending them a photo or what we live in or where.

Back to my original post however, it refers to these Workkamper jobs that all ask for photo's of you and your rig. I might add, I have seen some really very nice rigs that were old yet like show room kept. Never judge a book by it's cover. That goes for the RV or it's owner.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:56 PM   #11

I doubt they are looking at the age of the RV. They probably are looking at it's condition. Folks who are sloppy about the RV will probably be sloppy about the way they maintain the campground.

If you are 5 ft tall and weigh 300 lbs you won't be climbing ladders or getting into tight spots to repair something. Depending on the type of work one is applying for that may or may not be an issue.

The jobs are usually the "front entrance" or "first contact" to the establishment. Places that want to maintain an image will be concerned about the image you project. Not an unreasonable issue in my book.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanion2 View Post
If anything, that request is grounds for a discrimination lawsuit.
Requiring a photo is not grounds for a discrimination lawsuit. It could be used as evidence in a discrimination lawsuit brought by someone who didn't get the position and claims it is because he was discriminated against. But it would be just one of many factors/facts that are considered.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #13

If you wish to be hired "remotely" then providing a pic would be reasonable. If when you arrived and I was doing the hiring and it becomes apparent that the pic you provided was NOT you then the hiring process would end at that moment. . . not because your actual look was unacceptable but because you lied. If you lie about that, what else have you/will you lie about? Sorry, sounds harsh, but it is NOT discriminatory and no lawyer in the country would take your case. You have the right to refuse to provide what you don't want to, the hiring manager also has the right to not hire you. There are in fact strict rules about what can/cannot be asked in the hiring process, but not getting hired because how you look is not one of them, especially if you are applying for a "front of house" position UNLESS the "look" comes under being a protected class. I.E. You "looked" like the "wrong" race. Standards of dress ARE allowed; ability to perform "reasonable" job requirements are allowed (it is illegal though to "assume" an applicant can't perform them simply due to age or some other protected class); It is legal to have a requirement to be able to climb a ladder . . . requiring it to be done in a minimum time would not be unless it could be shown to be reasonable for a job. I.E. Firefighter. Judgements made upon past work performance are allowed.

EEOC requirements are well defined . . . defy them at your peril, but also remember there are a LOT of things that some may define as "discriminatory" that in fact are not. If you've got time, browse here: https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/
Old 08-06-2017, 01:51 PM   #14

You'll always see professional resumes with included photos.
It's routinely done this way.
Every resume I sent out had my current photo.
This avoids discrimination by the employer, and they appreciate it.
I'm quite certain it aided in my executive career.