Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:05 AM   #1

Trying to stay in one place, gypsy heart though

I have a lovely place to live, an apartment, all I need, everything I need. Life is good, but I just don't know that I can handle it.

I suppose I am like a fly. When I'm in the house, I want out, and when I am outside, I want in I'm putting together a platform, with storage underneath, in my small truck (Mazda B3000). I say it's just for going camping next Spring, but I can't help but think it would be a better life to seek the adventure I have always done in my past.

I don't make a lot of retirement, but enough. I would enjoy the work-camping because I just feel I am stagnating in retirement. I am keeping as busy as I can, but I love the outdoors, so it's walking/hiking/biking, or other errands (grocery shopping etc).

I'm 63 btw, and 64 in December. This is a big deal as well, since I'm more inclined to grab as much security as I can. I don't enjoy going it alone, but never met that fella to share my life with. The one some have met and became inseparable, best friends So I am on my own.

I see there are plenty of others that are single as well (I am divorced though, 20 years now). So if I could get into a group that meets up at times, maybe even "caravan" type of travel on occasion could be fun, and not so lonely.

I'm presently getting some applications out just to see if I might be accepted for positions (seasonal). I think I would enjoy those much more than shorter, term jobs. 3 months, maybe 4, eventually, in a fun, busy tourist spot, I may even like the year-round type jobs.

Anyway, just got on here to talk to others that may have similar thoughts as I do. Whether you are already living the adventure, or thinking about it like me

Hope to meet some of you Denise
nwcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Denise. I work seasonal at KOA's. You can work different places each year or go back to the same one each season. You can go to WorkatKOA.com and put your resume and cover letter on for $35.00 a year. The great thing with KOA is once you learn the reservation program, it is the same everywhere. They also take singles. You would need your own TT or RV to live in. Once you sign up you have ALL KOA job listings accross the US and Canada. I know this only answered part of your question. There is a SOLO group on here as well that can help you with that. You may want to post there. Good Luck
Brenda
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:23 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you don't have an rv you could live in long term (sleep, cook, shower etc) then you need to look for jobs where housing is provided with the job. There are tons of jobs at National Parks and surrounding areas as well as tourist towns. Most is shared housing (2 to a room etc) but there are a few places that offer single housing. Even with an rv, finding a job for a single can be challenging since many places have a fixed number of positions and a fixed number of lodging accommodations. There are several web sites for seasonal work and work campers. Some of the biggest employers are Xanterra, Delaware Corp, Amazon, and Forever Resorts. Most jobs pay minimum wage--people aren't doing seasonal work for the money (but waiting tables and bartending can earn more because of tips). Bottom line, if an employer won't put everything in writing for you to sign and agree to, be very suspicious--there are just as many horror stories as there are great ones.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Denise, we are all dreamers on here, so jump in with both feet.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:58 AM   #5

We're retired and volunteer for the most part mainly for the same reasons your contemplating it. We both enjoy the outdoors and really need activity to keep us both physically and mentaly fit.

I would think your best way without having a camper or means to aquire one would be working for a consessionar at one of the National Parks which have housing for the sesonal workers.

We have met single volunteers that traveled in everything from truck campers, small casita trailers, 25 year old Winnibagos and even popup soft sided trailers. Your B2000 would limit you to a popup depending on engine and transmission.

If you can maintain your present living quarters you could possibly do a sesonal position and at least get a break from the humdrum .

Amazon was mentioned in a previous post, they pay much better than minimum wage and provide a campsite, the season is short depending on location usually mid August till Dec 23 though the start times vary. We'll be starting the first week of Oct this will be our third year.
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #6

We just started full timing and have read about the many seasonal opportunities with Amazon. I've been looking at the openings but have not seen any reference to RV parks. As Stickdog stated Amazon provides an RV spot. Is this spot "free" or do you just pay a reduced rate? Any help appreciated.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggie79 View Post
We just started full timing and have read about the many seasonal opportunities with Amazon. I've been looking at the openings but have not seen any reference to RV parks. As Stickdog stated Amazon provides an RV spot. Is this spot "free" or do you just pay a reduced rate? Any help appreciated.

Disregard. I found the information I needed.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickdog View Post
We're retired and volunteer for the most part mainly for the same reasons your contemplating it. We both enjoy the outdoors and really need activity to keep us both physically and mentaly fit.

I would think your best way without having a camper or means to aquire one would be working for a consessionar at one of the National Parks which have housing for the sesonal workers.

We have met single volunteers that traveled in everything from truck campers, small casita trailers, 25 year old Winnibagos and even popup soft sided trailers. Your B2000 would limit you to a popup depending on engine and transmission.

If you can maintain your present living quarters you could possibly do a sesonal position and at least get a break from the humdrum .

Amazon was mentioned in a previous post, they pay much better than minimum wage and provide a campsite, the season is short depending on location usually mid August till Dec 23 though the start times vary. We'll be starting the first week of Oct this will be our third year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
Denise, we are all dreamers on here, so jump in with both feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
If you don't have an rv you could live in long term (sleep, cook, shower etc) then you need to look for jobs where housing is provided with the job. There are tons of jobs at National Parks and surrounding areas as well as tourist towns. Most is shared housing (2 to a room etc) but there are a few places that offer single housing. Even with an rv, finding a job for a single can be challenging since many places have a fixed number of positions and a fixed number of lodging accommodations. There are several web sites for seasonal work and work campers. Some of the biggest employers are Xanterra, Delaware Corp, Amazon, and Forever Resorts. Most jobs pay minimum wage--people aren't doing seasonal work for the money (but waiting tables and bartending can earn more because of tips). Bottom line, if an employer won't put everything in writing for you to sign and agree to, be very suspicious--there are just as many horror stories as there are great ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
Hi Denise. I work seasonal at KOA's. You can work different places each year or go back to the same one each season. You can go to WorkatKOA.com and put your resume and cover letter on for $35.00 a year. The great thing with KOA is once you learn the reservation program, it is the same everywhere. They also take singles. You would need your own TT or RV to live in. Once you sign up you have ALL KOA job listings accross the US and Canada. I know this only answered part of your question. There is a SOLO group on here as well that can help you with that. You may want to post there. Good Luck
Brenda
Thank you to all of you. I am so close now to being ready. I know that I still have to get through to January when my lease is up here, but I think even then, I will go for a Spring time job.

I did want to apologize, I didn't get any alerts on this thread I had posted, so got back in the "mode" and decided to check here. I am willing to do volunteer as well, just to get my foot in the door.

I will need to apply only for positions that have housing. I am happy to share quarters (dorm type is fine). I've lived in those situations way back when I worked on a ranch for the Summer. I've also lived with 3 other gals at one time, and did fine

I will check out Xanterra, Coolworks, and there's a .gov site as well.

I have a small truck, and would like to save up to either buy an RV (smaller, C type probably) or convert my Ford Ranger (actually Mazda B3000 but most people tell me it is just like a Ford Ranger). It has a canopy, and I know how to build a sort of platform bed on top, storage beside and underneath.

So maybe I'll see some of you around. I need to get in touch and mingle with folks that are "living the dream" This apartment is lovely, have all I need, more than I need, and I am going stir-crazy. I want to travel, do my photography, and meet new folks every day I am only 64 in Dec, and in very, good shape for my age Too young stop working, and seeing at least, as much of my country as I can

Denise

PS I do have my SS retirement, but prefer to earn some extra to help buy either a better rig, fix this one up, or save for when I "have" to settle in an apartment someday Today is not the day for this gal to give up on some dreams
nwcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace