Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #1

Volunteering with American Red Cross/Salvation Army

With the number of disasters on TV recently, how many RVers on here volunteer? If so, are you local or do you travel cross country to work the disaster? I've been thinking about helping out.

Brandi
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #2

irv2.com has a specific forum concerning work-camping and volunteering.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #3

Unless you have heavy equipment to offer, it's probably best to stay away from the immediate disaster area. Check out Habitat For Humanity RV-Care-A-Vans. They have a organized group just for disaster response. They also have a house build program that will go into a disaster area to rebuild after the dust settles.
http://www.habitat.org/cd/rv/schedule.aspx
The wife and I have done 5 builds and they can be very rewarding, no matter what your skill level, they can use your help.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
irv2.com has a specific forum concerning work-camping and volunteering.

I think that’s where I posted this, work camping & volunteering. I had not seen and I searched for Red Cross Salvation Army with no luck. So, I thought I would post.

Brandi
Old 09-18-2018, 11:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzbrandi View Post
I think that’s where I posted this, work camping & volunteering. I had not seen and I searched for Red Cross Salvation Army with no luck. So, I thought I would post.

Brandi
Sorry, my bad. That's my fault for staying up so late reading a replying.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #6

I'm a regional coordinator Louisiana Baptist Diaster Relief. We're all volunteers. 100,000+ Nationwide. We have a few hundred in Carolinas now feeding, chainsaw/tarp and mudout plus chaplains and assessors. I'll be going to Puerto Rico next Thursday for a week to help with rebuild.m was with a feeding team in ft Myers FL last year. So many folks in need. Thankful I'm healthy enough to go.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post
I'm a regional coordinator Louisiana Baptist Diaster Relief. We're all volunteers. 100,000+ Nationwide. We have a few hundred in Carolinas now feeding, chainsaw/tarp and mudout plus chaplains and assessors. I'll be going to Puerto Rico next Thursday for a week to help with rebuild.m was with a feeding team in ft Myers FL last year. So many folks in need. Thankful I'm healthy enough to go.

Looks like a $30 charge for a back ground check to get started.
https://louisianabaptists.org/disast...teer-training/
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I volunteered with the Red Cross for many years, and ended up as the chapter chairman. Training is necessary for most relief assistance work, and you may need to register with a local chapter. They will then reach out when assistance is needed. They have many opportunities for volunteerism, I worked on service to military men and women; answered emergency calls to dispatch assistance to first responders and families during fires; and we were the first on scene during the 9/11 events in Shanksville PA. Red Cross responds to all air tragedies. Reach out to your local chapter, they will gladly explain options to you.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnD View Post
I volunteered with the Red Cross for many years, and ended up as the chapter chairman. Training is necessary for most relief assistance work, and you may need to register with a local chapter. They will then reach out when assistance is needed. They have many opportunities for volunteerism, I worked on service to military men and women; answered emergency calls to dispatch assistance to first responders and families during fires; and we were the first on scene during the 9/11 events in Shanksville PA. Red Cross responds to all air tragedies. Reach out to your local chapter, they will gladly explain options to you.

Thank you for sharing. I'm still thinking if I'm up to this.

Brandi
Old 11-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #10

My SO just deployed this morning for California. We hit a stretch of slack time during our travels. She loves to go help especially DES so if we have slack time she puts herself as available and I go see family or just hang out somewhere till she is done. We were staying at Myrtle Beach, I am headed to see my son who is stationed at Fort Stewart, Ga.

We were discussing that they need to have a vagabond chapter of full time RVers. They make it difficult if you are not flying in and out of the same airport, which the ARC will do, it is just that the individual chapters don't all know this. She was going to go to Florida to help, we were planning on me following here down, especially since we have our own trailer. I don't volunteer but I support her when she goes.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Looks like a $30 charge for a back ground check to get started.
https://louisianabaptists.org/disast...teer-training/
Sorry, just now seeing this. Been cooking in Florida for a while.

The $30 is actual expenses. Pays for your yellow shirt $8, cap $7 background check $8, and ID card needed to enter disaster areas $5. The balance pays to get these items to you. Check your local state. In LA we do 4-6 trainings each year starting in February. This year we have 6. Only $28 then with no shipping costs.
Also, ID is good for 5 years. You can attend as many other trainings you want to with no additional costs until id expires. Then $5 again.
For instance I'm trained in feeding, chainsaw, mudout, shower/laundry, assessment, Blue hat (team leader) and incident command.
We also train in communication (ham radio), child care, chaplain, heavy equipment.

Each state has their own training schedule so a search for SBDR in your state should get you info on that.
In Texas you actually have a choice of two different organizations. Texas Baptist Men and Southern Baptist Texas Convention. I've worked with both. FYI, our ministry began in Texas 51 years ago after Beulah hit gulf coast.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:34 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
I am Red Cross volunteer and can tell you that first you need to join your local chapter and get some training. They would appreciate the help and you will get a feel of that type of work.

Hikingsailor
hikingsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:17 PM   #13

Lol, I forgot about this thread. I recently joined the Red Cross as a ham operator out of the Phoenix chapter. Am having a great time.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
That is so funny as I am a ham operator out of Kingman area. So glad you enjoy being volunteer.

Hikingsailor
hikingsailor is offline   Reply With Quote