Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #1

Work/Camping

I'm new to the forum. My wife and I will soon retire, and after selling the home will be full timing in our 40' fiver. We are interested in the possibility of work/camping at Fed/State parks or even tourist attractions. Do any of you have any thoughts or experience in this area. I have skills in electrical, electronics, carpentry and cabinetmaking which might help in my job hunt. Thanks
Sawdust53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
A couple places to get more info:

WORKAMPER NEWS - THE #1 RESOURCE FOR WORKAMPING
Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places | CoolWorks.com
Old 08-21-2011, 08:58 AM   #3

We have been workamping for 8 years. We subscribe to Workamper News and use it to get most of our jobs. Its a good resource not only to see who is hiring but to help you think outside the box on traveling and working. They have an Awesome Applicant resume posting service, so if you want to specifically use your carpentry and building skills, this might be for you. If you need to earn $$$ while traveling, it's your best bet. Coolworks.com is a site for resort jobs that pay well, but I am too old to work that hard!!

IF you want to volunteer, Volunteer.gov is the clearinghouse for federal and state agencies who need help. Not all volunteer jobs come with an RV site, so you will have to hunt and peck through. You may find a job there for your skills, in a NF or NPS that wants maintenance people. Are you up for trail maintenance? Building bird nesting stands? They have other needs as well. BUT..with a rig as big as yours you may find some state parks and NF campgrounds that cannot accommodate you.

If you don't want to go full time but want to keep busy and give back, try Habitat for Humanity. We are members of FMCA, they have a group that travels to build sites for two and three weeks.

Good luck, hope you find a way to get out there on the road

Art & Carol Haenig
phishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #4

... I think I posted the very same answer to another question on this very board, Sawdust. You might want to search this forum for more info. And I am sounding like a shill for Workamper News, so Here's another website - WorkingJobs.com. Its free..

Art & Carol Haenig
Old 08-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #5

Thank you Art.
I had no idea that work/camping was so BIG! I am amazed at the information out there on the internet. Since we have retirement income, we have to decide if pay is that important. I'd love to use my maintenance/carpentry skills but do I really "want" to be that busy. Boy, lots of decisions! I will join work/kamper news. It seems to be very popular amoung the folks that are doing this. I certainly don't want to get back into the 9-5 rut (or in my case 6PM-230AM). Thats why I retired!!!
Working a few days a week for a FHU site is what interests me. At least we'd be able to see the local attractions then. I never really thought about the size of the rig we have. ( I guess size does matter) LOL. We bought our 5th wheel/truck from a friend. He made us an offer we simply couldn't refuse. It comes in at about 18000GVW and isn't something I'd want to move around every few weeks! At some point we'll look for a shorter rig with more slides. Thanks again for the pointers.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #6

I just found the following site for jobs too. YOu can also post your work wanted there. I think I have found a winter job for us through this site.

Help Wanted for RV Parks and Campgrounds

We have used Workamper News for years but it is always nice to find new sites.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:45 AM   #7

Sawdust,

If the money is not too important, you might be better off with the volunteer route. My wife and I are doing that this summer. We work two 13 hour days at a small Army COE CG, in exchange we have a real nice site with 50 amps, water and sewer. Most places expect somewhere in the 20 - 24 hour or so per week for the site. A fair deal in my opinion and leaves time for sight seeing.

But, the thing to beware off with work positions is that a lot of places consider the site as income. Meaning they may think the site is worth $50 or more per day and put that on your w-2 or 1099. It happened to a couple that are very good friends of ours. They then had some serious tax issues with it. It can also impact your social security. If they are going to consider it income, make sure that the amount is reasonable based on a monthly or season rate and not the daily rate.

Bob
Old 08-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #8

Thanks Bob, good advise. I'm going to look into volunteering a little deeper.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #9

Well if you make up to South West Michigan we're looking for volunteers for our park and the railroad.

mike

www.edenspringspark.com
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #10

In all the years we have been workamping we have never had to claim our campsite value on income tax nor has it been on a 1099. People talk about you may have to but I do not know what places do it. If you are required to live in the park as condition of the job, then my understanding is you do not claim the site value.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #11

Recently at large RV resorts in AZ the corporate entities have decided to issue W-2s to WKers for their site. The way it works is that a WKer is paid X dollars for Y hours worked in a month, and charged exactly X times Y for their site. To the RV resort its a wash (uh, take note there is no overtime hours, so if you end up working more you have just volunteered). At the end of the year you are issued a W-2. The RV resort pays FICA and SS, you pay the income tax. If the W-2 is for $3K for 5 months, my 15% tax rate is $450. It is still a good deal for winter resort stay. Their reasoning, I think, is that they hire local workers in maintenance and housekeeping who do not live in the park. SO to say we workampers are required to live on site isn't defensible if audited.

If you work at an RV resort that pays for all hours worked but charges you a reduce fee for rent, your W-2 will also reflect all that income, so you will pay tax on your site, so to speak. Again, still a good deal.

In discussing compensation with employers, you may want to ask if they will be issuing a W-2 or a 1099 for your work. I haven't heard of any volunteer jobs getting this scrutiny, and we have worked fed and state volunteer positions.

Art & Carol Haenig
Old 02-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to retiredmsgt2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust53 View Post
I'm new to the forum. My wife and I will soon retire, and after selling the home will be full timing in our 40' fiver. We are interested in the possibility of work/camping at Fed/State parks or even diesel prices/consumptiontourist attractions. Do any of you have any thoughts or experience in this area. I have skills in electrical, electronics, carpentry and cabinetmaking which might help in my job hunt. Thanks
Just accepted a position as Camp Host for a COE Park in Arkansas for the March - September season. Long stay, but cuts down on exhorbitant diesel prices. Being provided FHU and a stipend to cover meals, etc. Will check on other campers to see that all fees get paid, and provide assistance as needed. Will work with Park Employees to clear trails and repair fences, etc. Note: Fed Parks have had their budgets cut tremendously, so W/K's are needed now more than ever.
retiredmsgt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
Well if you make up to South West Michigan we're looking for volunteers for our park and the railroad.

mike

www.edenspringspark.com

We have the Senior PGA 2 miles away at the end of May plus lots of other things going on and would like a few volunteers again this year

mike
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #14

Referencing all of this W2 1099 discussion...does it apply if you volunteer/work in a Federal Park and get a campsite do they issue a W2 or 1099?
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote