Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Workkamping & Volunteering
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:14 AM   #1

Yosemite Desk Office Program

My name is Larry Keene. I retired about two years ago after 26+ years of service with the Kern County Sheriff's Office.

Since I retired, I have been volunteering in Yosemite National Park in the Desk Officer program. I am currently the Desk Office Coordinator for Yosemite.

Desk Officers assist the Yosemite Law Enforcement Rangers by writing motor vehicle accident reports, theft reports (no evidence or suspects), lost and found and bear damage reports. We also do "Bear Patrol" every morning with the main focus being to look for bear damage, look for food storage violations and asking campers to extinguish morning camp fires.

The Desk Officers work three days and get six days off as a general rule. We occasionally assist with traffic control on busy holidays and do other duties as needed as well.

There are two seasons for the Desk Officers to work. April 1 through June 30 and July 1 through September 30. I have one opening in 2015 for the July through September season. I have a position available for the 2016 season as well.

The National Park Service provides us with full RV hookups (including propane), free use of laundry facilities and a discount card good for 50% off two of the restaurants, 50% off all recreational activities and 10% off virtually everything else.

The volunteer opportunity is open to couples, one of whom must be retired Law Enforcement with at least five years of active duty. You must pass the same background as the Law Enforcement Rangers.

Let me know if you are interested in volunteering for three months in one of the most beautiful places on earth. I can give you more details at that time. Please email me at wkeene12121@gmail.com.

Thank you

Larry Keene
Desk Office Coordinator
Yosemite National Park
209-372-0608
Larry Keene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yosemite Desk Office Program

Thanks for the info Larry. What is the max length of the RV space?

I also sent you an email.

Scott
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:26 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Me and my wife worked as Desk Officers this year in Yosemite. We had a great time. The work was fairly easy and the supervisor, Larry Keene was an easy guy to work for. We already signed up for 3 months next summer.

Scott
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote