Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:49 PM   #1

Auction 2005 Monaco DePalma 37PCT

I'm looking at a 2005 Monaco which is up for auction. I don't know whether I'll see any maintenance records so the power train could be a gamble. It has the GM V8 with Allision transmission and is based on the Workhorse W24 chassis. They're advertising a value of 39000 dollars, although it has some vandalism damage and will need at least a new microwave, new dinette benches, etc.

We've had a serious freeze around here within the last couple months and I'm not sure whether it was winterized properly. Is there a way to test for plumbing leaks without hookups? I'd be able to start the motor but there are no hookups out in the auction lot so I see this as another danger area. I think I'd be able to test the other systems though.
donzoh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2021, 02:10 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .

History questions ; first would be.
Is this is an insurance company " write off " due to the extent of the vandalism damage ?

Chevy , 8.1l, V-8 with an Allison 1000 series transmission , would be the only powertrain in the W-24 Workhorse chassis.

You could try activating the 12 volt water pump , to see if any pink RV anti freeze is in the system , without filling the fresh tank that would be the only indication of freezing damage to the system ; or lack there of.

If the vandalism included theft of batteries and or wiring and cable damage , the time and $$$$ to properly repair the systems could really add up.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2 .

History questions ; first would be.
Is this is an insurance company " write off " due to the extent of the vandalism damage ?

Chevy , 8.1l, V-8 with an Allison 1000 series transmission , would be the only powertrain in the W-24 Workhorse chassis.

You could try activating the 12 volt water pump , to see if any pink RV anti freeze is in the system , without filling the fresh tank that would be the only indication of freezing damage to the system ; or lack there of.

If the vandalism included theft of batteries and or wiring and cable damage , the time and $$$$ to properly repair the systems could really add up.
Good points there. I don't know whether it's an insurance write off. My theory was that the the bank decided to repo it but the owners trashed it first, just to prove a point. Dumb, but possible. I did see one item online that's basically a threaded coupling combined with a Schraeder valve that can be threaded into the city water connection and then pressurized. The idea is that if the system won't hold pressure, there's a leak.

I was also considering a Class A at auction in Dayton OH but I don't really want to drive 9 hours one way to inspect it and I didn't see any RV inspector in that area. I'd be happy to pay a Class A owner 100 bucks or so to go look at it, even if they were not formally trained as an inspector, but I don't know how to contact anybody like that.
donzoh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:05 PM   #4

The price sounds quite high considering the condition. I've been watching prices a fair bit all over including auctions. The one in the link below just sold for about 46,000 US and I thought that was high. It's a step or 2 up from what your looking at but gives you an idea.

https://internet-bidding.teamauction...e-21dd0513-001
Old 04-28-2021, 02:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzoh1 View Post
I'm looking at a 2005 Monaco which is up for auction. I don't know whether I'll see any maintenance records so the power train could be a gamble. It has the GM V8 with Allision transmission and is based on the Workhorse W24 chassis. They're advertising a value of 39000 dollars, although it has some vandalism damage and will need at least a new microwave, new dinette benches, etc.

We've had a serious freeze around here within the last couple months and I'm not sure whether it was winterized properly. Is there a way to test for plumbing leaks without hookups? I'd be able to start the motor but there are no hookups out in the auction lot so I see this as another danger area. I think I'd be able to test the other systems though.
Doesn't seem like a deal at all.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:14 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep, I'd say very high for a trashed MH. LaPalma for sale here in Florida - 2006 36dbd listed at 39,900 with all records/equipment. I'd walk away unless the price was in the low 20's and even then I'd have some serious doubts. I know prices are nuts but you can do better at $39,000.
US Navy - Vietnam Swiftboat Vet - PCF 102, PCF-62
Steve43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #7

Check FB Marketplace use PC expand to maximum miles I agree I just found a year newer 40k within 100miles of me and a diplomat DP a year older
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco