Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2005, 02:47 AM   #1
Ren

My sister is on permanent disability, gets her state check monthly and owns & lives in her own RV. Someone told us that she can apply for some kind of Golden Access Passport. She's located in Orange County, Calif. and would prefer to live at the beach. Bolsa Chica State Beach or Huntington State Beach. There's hookups at both and not sure how to go about aquiring this Passport. Anyone know how she can apply for one?
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2005, 02:47 AM   #2
Ren

My sister is on permanent disability, gets her state check monthly and owns & lives in her own RV. Someone told us that she can apply for some kind of Golden Access Passport. She's located in Orange County, Calif. and would prefer to live at the beach. Bolsa Chica State Beach or Huntington State Beach. There's hookups at both and not sure how to go about aquiring this Passport. Anyone know how she can apply for one?
Old 04-18-2005, 06:08 AM   #3

Ren,The Golden Access Passport is good to have.
The card gives many discounts. Just click here to learn about it.

Joe

An Indian and a Gypsy
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:15 AM   #4

Golden Access or Golden Age ARE good to have, but keep in mind that they are, for the most part, only usable at federal facilities. There are a few states that accept them at state parks, but not many.
Kent & Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:17 AM   #5

Ren, if the parks are state parks, I think she will have to leave after a 2 week stay. No one has ever been been able to stay permanently as far as I know in a state park. Except the "hosts"

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 01:15 PM   #6
Ren

Thanks you so much everyone. Helping my Sister sometimes can be quite a handful!

She's going to apply for the Passport at the State Beach facility. There, she gets 50% off the fees. I don't think she minds moving every 2 weeks as Allegro Happy said. It's alot better than moving every 48 hrs like she has been.
Thanks again for your valuable info!
Old 05-04-2005, 06:24 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kent & Peggy:
Golden Access or Golden Age ARE good to have, but keep in mind that they are, for the most part, only usable at federal facilities. There are a few states that accept them at state parks, but not many. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am VERY CURIOUS to know what State Park(s) will accept the federal Golden Access pass. ???

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:04 AM   #8

The only ones I found as probable on another web site are: ARK, ORE, LA.

I was just quoting from another web site where individuals said the Federal passes were usable for partial discount in the above state parks. If they were incorrect, I apologize. I KNOW they are NOT accepted in AZ.
Kent & Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 03:56 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kent & Peggy:
The only ones I found as probable on another web site are: ARK, ORE, LA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Without being corrected, others might be lead to believe the Golden Access Passport might be used for general use or camping in State Parks. As a direct response for those states mentioned, AR, OR and LA, they DO NOT accept the federal pass for privilages in their state parks. Further information about this can be obtained from their state parks main office:

AR 1-888-287-2757
LA 1-888-677-1400
OR 1-800-452-5687

No flame intended by this post ...just want to put our park passes in their right order of use.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 10:49 PM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey guys, I use my access card in <span class="ev_code_GREEN">OKLAHOMA </span>but that doesn`t help too much for California, she could come here for a long visit and enjoy herself.

See yall in the funnies, Warren
WAGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:48 PM   #11

Unless I'm greatly mistaken, most states will honor a copy of the newest award letter of disability. Certain states such as California requires a fee of $3.50 to get a discount card (1/2 price; not applicable to fees under $2) for their state parks.

Visit http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1049 and scroll down to "DISABLED DISCOUNT PASS" to get to the info, requirements and printable application for the card.

You can mail away for the discount card and pay via check, you don't have to go in person for the CA state park card. The Golden Access card for National/Corps of Engineers parks requires the disabled person to physically go to a park office with the social security issued disability award letter to get the card.

You may want to find out if other states also require a special discount card before you hit the road. I plan to visit California in the future so I went ahead and got the card already for myself.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #12

If you're a disabled vet, check to see if you can get a discount in state parks. Washington State disabled vets (like my wife) can get a pass for free camping!
Old 04-03-2007, 02:38 AM   #13

FYI, the state of Louisiana (LA) DOES honor the Golden Access Pass at their state parks, we used hubby's.

Thank You, Louisiana State Parks!

In Arkansas, they do not accept it in the state facilities, although there are a LOT of COE campgrounds around the state where you can use it.

I have no other information from my personal experience to pass on.

Most of the states have their own access program for their residents, not available to non-residents.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:50 AM   #14

the golden access card Does get you 1/2 price
in Arizona state parks