Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do I fix it or let the dealer?

My wife and I have a 1998 Monaco Dynasty that has been a great coach, but it has not slides. That hasn't been a problem until about two years ago when we "acquired" two rescue dogs; both lab mix. One weighs about 90 pounds and the other is around 60. We have been thinking about buying a newer RV with slides. We love to travel and won't leave the dogs home. In the course of becoming comfortable with driving a 38 foot class A, I scraped the right rear (fiberglass) while cutting too sharp out of the RV barn. I also scrapped one of the baggage compartment doors (aluminum). Those with a couple of other dings were estimated at about $6k to repair under insurance. The RV dealer has a full service department and I was wondering if it would be more cost beneficial to let them repair it or for me to do so before showing it for trade-in consideration (or plan B, sell myself). I know the latter, I would probably have it fixed first and detailed professionally.

Just would appreciate hearing from someone experienced in these matters.

thanks
Mike from Texas (hot, hot Texas)
tx_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #2

What do you have for tools and experience?
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I wouldn't attempt it personally. I'm a shade tree mechanic at best.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If insurance will cover it I would let them. That is why I pay for it.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Probably the best solution. It would put be in a better negotiating position with the dealer and I'd be prepared for plan B if that didn't work out. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If it is just scrapes, the hardest thing is to match paint and stripes. Minor scrapes can be sanded and gelcoat paint over.
If there is is scrapes on the doors, that is what they make bondo and glazing putty for. As long as you don't have to match striping, you can bęte a really good roller, and roll the repair paint on.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #7

Since you're in Texas, take a nice trip over to the border and have a Mexican painter fix it up for you. Here in Mazatlan there are several very talented painters doing body work and matching paints. They always use top flight paints too. Betcha McAllen, Texas has someone that could do it for you.

My rig is a $8000 paint job in the US (or $5000 for a partial), but here in Mexico, I'm getting the old vinyl stripes removed and replaced with paint, the entire basement section repainted, and the upper area cleaned, de-oxidized, and gel coated. All for $800. I've seen the guys work here in the park on a couple RVs and he and his crew do excellent work.

You get a nice trip, and if you have your insurance company pay for it, they'll save so much money on it they'll probable not increase your rates.

I would like to 'Buy American'...but I just don't have the money. Remember the crash of '08? Half my 401k disappeared.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek
Since you're in Texas, take a nice trip over to the border and have a Mexican painter fix it up for you. Here in Mazatlan there are several very talented painters doing body work and matching paints. They always use top flight paints too. Betcha McAllen, Texas has someone that could do it for you.

My rig is a $8000 paint job in the US (or $5000 for a partial), but here in Mexico, I'm getting the old vinyl stripes removed and replaced with paint, the entire basement section repainted, and the upper area cleaned, de-oxidized, and gel coated. All for $800. I've seen the guys work here in the park on a couple RVs and he and his crew do excellent work.

You get a nice trip, and if you have your insurance company pay for it, they'll save so much money on it they'll probable not increase your rates.

I would like to 'Buy American'...but I just don't have the money. Remember the crash of '08? Half my 401k disappeared.
This is a great idea. Get it painted in a border town then come back and you only have to get the bullet holes fixed. They're a way smaller job than getting a whole paint job. LOL. OK everyone, just kidding, I think :-)
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No matter if you fix it yourself (if you have the tools and skills) or hire the job done by someone with the tools and skills.

Odds are it will cost you less than having the dealer do it.

If you hire it done, I do have a suggestion.. as the song says:

"My Mamma Told Me, To Do the Shop Around"

In Detroit area there are many body shops who can fix an RV, Took me a while but I found one that does first rate work, for 4th rate prices, 500 bucks there is worth about 2,000 at any other shop. (Alas that shop is closed now but the owner still works out of his garage). he has been doing this kind of thing since dang near before I was born (I'm 61) and used to have the contract for Grayhound (The bus folks) so he has lots of expierence on larger rides.

Does first rate work too.

I've had work done (Paid by insurance) at other companies, where.... Let's just say I was not as pleased and leave it at that (Thankfully on a now dead of old age car)
Old 02-18-2016, 10:05 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Fix yourself or pay someone else??

First - let me preface this by saying "Hello - I am a tool junkie!!" Here is how I see it.

IF:
You have the appropriate skills
You have the appropriate tools
You have the appropriate workspace
You have the time
THEN:
You can do it yourself.

IF:
None of the above AND
You make $150 / hour

THEN:
Pay someone else to do it. Approx. shop rates for working on RVs and specialty vehicles in my area is north of $125-140 an hour.
Jay and Valerie - 1996 Monaco Dynasty, Count 36FD. Coach #66387 C 8.3-300 hp; Allison 3060, 6.5 LP generator, no slides. New to us (3-30-2015)
BigPapaYams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer