Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeldale View Post
We have the Splendide WD2000s in ours and am thinking of taking it out. The time in a laundry mat is not too much. The additional space would be great.

Question now is when to take it out and if I can find a buyer for it? Don't want it just sitting around the house taking up space.
Perhaps you should take some pictures of it in place now. Perhaps also a video of it working. Post pictures of it on your local Craigslist at your desired price. If buyers contact you, you could send the video demo. The ad can say that you will be removing it soon. With some luck, you will have interested buyers. Try to meet the potential. Users in a very safe public place...maybe in police/sheriff parking lot.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2017, 06:44 AM   #30

Quote:
We have the Splendide WD2000s in ours and am thinking of taking it out. The time in a laundry mat is not too much. The additional space would be great.

Question now is when to take it out and if I can find a buyer for it? Don't want it just sitting around the house taking up space.
Remember, when taking this washer out, it is heavy, and if like ours, working room for more than one person can be extremely challenging. Our 2100XC weighs 148 pounds, and is not easy to get out of its hidey hole!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:11 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyG View Post
Perhaps you should take some pictures of it in place now. Perhaps also a video of it working. Post pictures of it on your local Craigslist at your desired price. If buyers contact you, you could send the video demo. The ad can say that you will be removing it soon. With some luck, you will have interested buyers. Try to meet the potential. Users in a very safe public place...maybe in police/sheriff parking lot.
This is a great idea. The few times I have sold things from a listing on Craigslist, I met the purchaser at a Walmart Parking lot.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:27 AM   #32

Quote:

There is a Splendide WD2000s on the IRV2 Classifieds for $300. Not sure if he's gotten any bites, his is 2004 vintage. Most people now will go for the newer models.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:40 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
I'm glad mine came with a stackable w/d. My previous RV didn't have one although it was plumbed for them in a bedroom closet. We were against having them and said we would eventually remove the ones we have now, and use the space for more storage. Boy were we wrong. We now love having them and although we only use our rig for vacations, we can't see not having them for longer trips. We can't stand wasting time in laundry mats.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:42 AM   #34

Laundrymat use cards

One item that has not been mentioned is the electronic cards that you have to purchase at many campgrounds to use their machines. In a trip to Florida three years ago when we still had the TT, we ran into that problem at four different campgrounds. Their machines didn't take quarters. They took special "gift card" style plastic cards. Sometimes there was a machine available to purchase the "laundry cards", sometimes you had to go to the campground office. Seems the minimum amount to "fill" a card was $20.00, and you had to pay around $3.00 to purchase the CARD! We were typically staying only a few days at each campground since we were displaying our work at Art Shows, so we didn't get the opportunity to use the full $20.00, or really $23.00. So the next campground we go to does the same thing . . . only they use a DIFFERENT card! So we purchase our $20+ card and do a couple of loads, still have like $12 on the NEW card. Next campground, same thing, a DIFFERENT electronic card . . . Somewhere in our new to us coach we probably STILL have 4 cards with probably $50.00 on them, but we can't redeem them, and can't use them . . . .

Even scarier are the machines that now accept you CREDIT CARD!

Fast forward, the coach we purchased had a Splendide 2100 (vented) W/D all in one. We absolutely LOVE it! As mentioned above, we have indeed found that it winkles the clothes, but only if you let them sit for sometime after the cycle finishes. If doing our laundry at night, we can set the machine to start in x number of hours, so it is finishing up about the time we get up in the morning! Wake up, start coffee, fold nice warm unwrinkled clothes! We wouldn't be without ours. I agree that stackables are better if you have a lot of clothes to wash and dry, but we like the feature in the all in one that allows us to set it to go through the wash and dry cycle without having to intervene.

Oh, one side note, when we had the TT, we never paid out of pocket for laundromats that took quarters. I have a metal detector, and like to walk around beaches/campgrounds/parks. Among other, nicer finds, I usually average about $3.00 in clad (modern) coins per hour. For me it is relaxing, and keeps me out of the bars . . . well, mostly. Any my wife had first dibs on my finds. Extremely fortuitous was the Turquoise and fine silver pendant on the sterling silver chain I found three days before Valentines day two years ago in the Keys!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:27 AM   #35

At first wife did not use units in rv but kept going to laundromat. Then she finally tried it. She will never go back. To easy having it and being able to run a load while you do what ever you want.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:36 AM   #36

We have the Splendide combo. I used/tested it once in the two years we've been full timing. Wife does not use it, period. She prefers the park laundromat if available. She picks up a lot of park and local information at the laundromat. I would not like to remove it since it would mean we could carry more crap.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:52 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'll do all my removal, videos, photos, and such when the temps get above 40 here.
noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:33 AM   #38

Thank Yall!

It's fun reading and learning from you guys.

I appreciate all your information and conversation!

Gina
Gina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #39

Lots of great insight in this thread. The wife and I are doing our preplanning for this November when we will take off for the south for 4 months. We will be moving around and not staying put in any one location for more than a couple of weeks assuming all things remain the same.

The laundry process has been discussed. I was leaning toward getting a stackable for our Bighorn, but the wife has made a good case for NOT doing that just yet. After reading all these posts, I think she's spot on and we will use this first extended excursion to "feel out" the situation before committing to anything. When all is said and done, we may or may not choose an onboard W/D. Thanks to all who contributed to our confusion!
Old 03-06-2017, 07:44 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyG View Post
I agree with meeting in a public place to make the exchange.
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Removed a stackable W/D in our newmar Essex. Washer took forever and dryer toasted everything on lowest setting. Turned space into a wonderful pantry. Then we traded for our new to us coach that came with a stackable splendid set. Since I had plenty of storage, gave it a try. Love it. We aren't FT, but are out and about about 4 months or more each year. I got a tip from a full timer, use white vinegar instead of expensive softner. Works great. Only downside is it vents into the engine area, so before we leave, I make sure the lint has been removed. Usually right after I finish the last load.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:15 PM   #42

Depends

When we were choosing our MH (12 years old), one of our requirements was a washer/dryer. That convenience has been a real time-saver for us even though a full wash-dry takes about 2 1/2 hours.

However, we can really only use it when we have a full hook-up -- or at least electric and water with a convenient nearby dump station. Our Splendide all-in-one cycle uses about 1/2 the grey-water tank per load. When we've been dry camping, then it's laundromat time (and finding a decent one in an unfamiliar city can be a challenge). We rarely use commercial campgrounds.

A month ago, we were at 2 different Corps of Engineers campgrounds in northern Minnesota that had *free* washer and dryer in the shower building. That was wonderful!
arboldt is offline   Reply With Quote