Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #57

I haven't really followed a food budget for years (since our early married years), but since we have retired we need to pay closer attention to our budget. My favorite $$ saving food tip is precooked rotisserie chicken...I can get 3 meals for DH and myself out of one I also keep well stocked up on tortillas because ANY leftovers (meat, veggies, cheese) is a meal around here. That being said, we have not come close to $100 a month since 1978 Happily our goal is to try to live simply and within our means which allows us closer to that much per week
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylv View Post
My favorite $$ saving food tip is precooked rotisserie chicken.
DW just started doing just that. For the convenience as much as savings. They make a bunch of "wraps" sandwiches with a little lettuce, tomato or whatever. $5 on sale at a Publix near us now.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #59

There was a woman on TV who bought nine shopping carts full of groceries for next to nothing using coupons. Wife mentioned it to me and I immediately thought of this topic. Upon looking at the local paper advertising add in sections, all had coupon rules which included even internet coupons as being acceptable. So it must work. Maybe a competition to beat the $100 mark is in order.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #60

Ttake a look at Welcome - Angel Food Ministries
for people on a very limited income.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Take a look at Welcome - Angel Food Ministries
for people on a very limited income.
Actually, it's NOT for folks on a limited income. It is a ministry outreach. They pack religious pamphlets in the boxes. They are spreading God's Word... along with a box of food.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:55 PM   #62

Good catch Lorna, thanks for providing correct information.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Actually, it's NOT for folks on a limited income. It is a ministry outreach. They pack religious pamphlets in the boxes. They are spreading God's Word... along with a box of food.
I have used them a couple of times. And the only thing in my boxes was the food. Althought they did want to pray for me in the parking lot.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:22 AM   #64

I've used Angel Foods a couple of times but we're always a little disappointed in quality, but hey beggars cant be too choosy, I mean its cheap stuff.. but I guess we decided to try and save our bucks on food we liked.
As for Sam's Club, certainly have to watch the unit price in comparison with other options, but wow, for some items the value is pretty decent. Namely tuna fish (big can), green beans ( big can), eggs, milk, whole almonds - all foods that are fabulously good for you purchaseable in bulk and at good value @ Sam's.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:40 AM   #65

Don't some of the newer RVs have a small deep freeze in the basement on a slide out? Or is that just more regular refrigeration?
SiberCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark
DW just started doing just that. For the convenience as much as savings. They make a bunch of "wraps" sandwiches with a little lettuce, tomato or whatever. $5 on sale at a Publix near us now.
CostCo has about the best rotisserie chicken for $5 I've ever had. They also do lots of things with the chickens they don't sell. My issue with Costco as a supplier for rving is that it's so much stuff to store. If you get more than one person to go with you, then you can share cost and separate bulk. Anyone do this?
SiberCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #67

I have been getting Little Caesars Pizza once a week lately. $5 for a 14 inch peperoni. Plus, you do not call ahead. They sell so many, they are heated up and ready to go upon arriving. (Carryout only)

Enough for dinner that night and lunch the next day.

Little Caesars Restaurants

Pizza and Products Menu - Carryout Pizza Chain - Little Caesars Pizza
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #68

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Dw spends a averge of $75.00 per week, or to say $300.00 per month, there is now only the two of us, and since I stared to like P& J sandwiches, it really saves us money on the lunch meat department, but then i like to add a ferw times a year, like hoildays, and when she runs out of somethings ( salt/pepper/seasoning) she spends a little more, & coupons help alot.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #69

Hi Doggie.
I see you also tow a Suzuki Samurai, and I was wondering if you do as the manual instructs for towing or do you remove the rear axle and free wheel the front hubs?
xplorer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #70

All the food stores should be having above average sales this week due to the holiday. Keep a close eye out and take advantage of it.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote