Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing On A Budget
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:11 AM   #1

Is Renovating an Old RV Worth It?

I'm new to RVing and am really just now beginning planning for our first purchase (travel trailer). I wanted to ask a general question about updating an old RV.

Does cost to reupholster furniture, update appliances, any general updates that are simply give the RV a "fresh" look cost more to do than worth it? I have no idea what one can expect to pay when doing things like that, so I don't know if "Flipping an RV" at a reasonable cost is realistic, or if I should just stick with finding one that I can live with in its present cosmetic condition.

Thoughts?
Dcreswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2020, 07:29 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Labor costs for most RV related repairs/refurbishments are high. Material is less an issue.

If you have the skills, the time and inclination to take on ALL the repairs yourself it may be feasible. Be aware this can be very time consuming.

This forum addresses many of the issues you will face: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/

I bought neglected sad motorhome in September 2016. It was fully functional as it was and the interior was in great shape. However the exterior had suffered from UV damage. I've been working or the exterior a little at a time ever since.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:38 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
My buddy's sister bought a little trailer this Spring for $2,000, put some elbow grease into it and $3,000 in new tanks, tires, paint, etc.

They just sold it for $9,000 last week.

So yes, you could possibly turn a profit, but you have to be extremely lucky and in the right spot at the right time!

Sort of like winning as lottery.

Happy Glamping
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:40 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Here is my current project

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/201...up-490915.html
Marksnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #5

It is hard to come out much ahead on such projects, though some things are likely to be disproportionately viable vs the cost, general cleaning, and updating upholstery will likely benefit more than putting money into the bones of the trailer, as many people can't see past the cosmetics.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:17 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
If you get into it right and have the skills and knowledge to do it, it can be feasible. It can also get real expensive really quick. I wouldn't recommend it for a new RV'er.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
If you get into it right and have the skills and knowledge to do it, it can be feasible. It can also get real expensive really quick. I wouldn't recommend it for a new RV'er.
Great advice

It isn't a house and the title states the age

99% of old RV's wind up in salvage as do older trailer houses

If you plan on keeping one for a significant time and are highly skilled then a completely different matter

Some RV restorations are amazing and really cool to see

A vintage motor home rally is very interesting to visit and well worth your time
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:37 PM   #8

Is it work it?

To "flip" the RV? No.

To keep the RV knowing it inside and out and the quality of the workmanship? Yes.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
We bought a 2001 High-quality Diesel Pusher from a top manufacturer. I spent about $25K bringing it up to current standards, Residential Refer, Solar, Lithium Batteries as well as new electronics (TVs/Internet/etc..), cabinet redesign, Quartz Counters, and more....

I look at it 2 ways:

I could have bought a newer coach with a smaller engine, lower quality but it would be newer and we would have spent well over $150K for something even close to this class of manufacturer (used).............or we did spend about $65K total and ended up with a very nice and reliable coach that will probably be worth only $25- 30K in 5 years, but that $150K coach will probably only be worth $50 - 60K in 5 years and we would have had fewer goodies then we ended up with and spent $100K over that same time period vs the 30 - 40 I project
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
My buddy's sister bought a little trailer this Spring for $2,000, put some elbow grease into it and $3,000 in new tanks, tires, paint, etc.

They just sold it for $9,000 last week.

So yes, you could possibly turn a profit, but you have to be extremely lucky and in the right spot at the right time!

Sort of like winning as lottery.

Happy Glamping
This is actually a great way to make money too. RV sales this year is up because of covid, so if you have the knowledge then it would be profitable to maybe do that as supplement to your income.
gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:25 PM   #11

Flipping RV's is going to be very similar to homes

Buy low, spend low, sell high and do it in record time

Otherwise be prepared to keep it or loose money
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:21 AM   #12

If you do most of the work yourself, you can save some serious money in doing this but remember that you will get very little of your money back when/if you sell it.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:45 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcreswell View Post
I'm new to RVing and am really just now beginning planning for our first purchase (travel trailer). I wanted to ask a general question about updating an old RV.

Does cost to reupholster furniture, update appliances, any general updates that are simply give the RV a "fresh" look cost more to do than worth it? I have no idea what one can expect to pay when doing things like that, so I don't know if "Flipping an RV" at a reasonable cost is realistic, or if I should just stick with finding one that I can live with in its present cosmetic condition.

Thoughts?
As a hobby or weekend project to keep you busy, sure. Labor of love. We all do it to some extent. You can do it pretty at a reasonably cost with some planning and looking at alternatives other than "RV" stuff. Sometimes you don't have much of a choice such as 12VDC appliances but other times residential materials can be used.

As an investment, buy low/sell high, flip, or such? Not in anyone's life time unless you find something 60+ years old that is still structurally sound like an old Scotty, or a low serial number Airstream. These things rarely increase in value like real estate and I don't think there are auction houses televising bidding wars for the sales of classics RV's.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:10 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Just be mindful of the TT construction,, alum skin/wood stud walls.. vs. laminated walls..

The older wood framed and be rebiluts, redone, rewired with ease, but are old look..

The new laminated walls , can suffer from delaminating, harder to fix and when you tear one araprt to add or redo,, it is a bit harder to add wirinf and such,, NOT impossible but just a bit more thinking..

I have dome 2 motorhomes, one was a fiberglass clam sheel style,, gutted and redid,, It ws Ok, not fancy but fit budget and 8 great years, till I sold it this past weekend..
Last year a tackled a minnie winnie redo, more face lifts and updates,, Still fun.. but wiring fixes and addons was a pain..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
renovations